Lack of interest Skype integration for alerts?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
What exactly do you mean by this? I am planning (in my head that is... which is big enough as you can see ;) over there <----- ! ) a new project which I need new software for. The only solution at the moment is vB3.8. Invision may be good 'under the hood' so to speak, but the userinterface of that product I find... well. Even vBulletin4 is better on this manner on certain levels. Anyway... I am drifting off as usual... on that new project we will be using Skype a lot amongst members. So I was curious what exactly do you envision with integration?

+1 it would be great if the user can choose for the alerts to be delivered via IM's not just email..

So for example you are not on xenForo and you get an alert because someone quotes you, the xenForo bot will message you on gmail/msn/skype/ICQ or whatever you choose to tell you there is a new message... I have seen this implementation on some other sites and I agree it would be great on here...

It's a pity I don't use skype as much as I' like to but whenever you get a personal message I'd be nice to get an alert to your mobile (not just iphone compatible) but for android. As an htc desire user on android I'd love to see this feature.

It's a pity I don't use skype as much as I' like to but whenever you get a personal message I'd be nice to get an alert to your mobile (not just iphone compatible) but for android. As an htc desire user on android I'd love to see this feature.

Notifo Intergration would make this really easy... https://api.notifo.com/

If this isn't standard I will make a notifo modification... 1 because I think it is really cool functionality and 2 because I think Jazy Chaz who creates notifo is awesome.

What she said ^^. An alert on XF triggers and alert via IM. Skype is the one I use.

Can you explain why one wants to have that?

When I am working on my PC and want to involve myself in the pleasurable world called 'XenForo', I go to www.xenforo.com (or whatever site that is powered by xenForo in the future) and there I have access to all the alerts I want and need. I mean, this site is always active on one of my tabs. What then is the benefit of having all kinds of alerts also popping up in my Skype? I want my skype to popup Skype alerts and I want my XenForo to popup Xenforo alerts. But maybe I miss something in my understanding, because I do not see the big benefits?

maybe have a field where you enter your cell phone and it sends you an SMS text when you get an alert followed by a small description.

maybe have a field where you enter your cell phone and it sends you an SMS text when you get an alert followed by a small description.

This becomes difficult for each server admin to manage and also expensive... notifo is a better option in my mind.

why expensive?

every mobile number comes with an email like 4166754321@rogersmobile.com or something like that. you can have it so that you enter your phone, select the carrier, then your phone gets a sms when someone emails that. Im sure its free and included with everyones packages.

why expensive?

every mobile number comes with an email like 4166754321@rogersmobile.com or something like that. you can have it so that you enter your phone, select the carrier, then your phone gets a sms when someone emails that. Im sure its free and included with everyones packages.

WRONG!...

Sorry just wanted to make it clear... this is wrong... it is the common practice in the US and Canada but in Europe and most other countries there are no such emails...

To cover your world wide audience SMS is not the way to go...

Can you explain why one wants to have that?

When I am working on my PC and want to involve myself in the pleasurable world called 'XenForo', I go to www.xenforo.com (or whatever site that is powered by xenForo in the future) and there I have access to all the alerts I want and need. I mean, this site is always active on one of my tabs. What then is the benefit of having all kinds of alerts also popping up in my Skype? I want my skype to popup Skype alerts and I want my XenForo to popup Xenforo alerts. But maybe I miss something in my understanding, because I do not see the big benefits?
When I'm working on my PC, I don't always have XenForo open, but I always have Skype open. Skype like many other IM apps is intended to be run on bootup. In addition, I can have Skype running on my iPhone and an alert on that will get me over to Xenforo which I will certainly not have loaded on Safari by default.

The option to receive alerts via IM would, of course, be part of the alerts setup options.

having a SMS-integration, this would transform your Forum into a money-machine......not necessarily for "Alerts", but maybe some other feature ? Posting via SMS maybe....

WRONG!...

Sorry just wanted to make it clear... this is wrong... it is the common practice in the US and Canada but in Europe and most other countries there are no such emails...

To cover your world wide audience SMS is not the way to go...

I dont think U.S. and Canada should be shut out of this just because europe doesnt have it though. I wouldnt object if there was a drop down for 'euros' on my board as payment for something even though i dont use them.

I dont think U.S. and Canada should be shut out of this just because europe doesnt have it though. I wouldnt object if there was a drop down for 'euros' on my board as payment for something even though i dont use them.

No but my point is you should look at other options that work for all... not just target one market... that is my point... there are mods out there to send SMS from vBulletin boards but the carrier support isn't that great and it makes some users feel excluded...

As xenForo is targeted at the general market adding a feature that will only work for some area's is a bad idea, though you could always create a mod that did it...

Top Bottom