Sitemap for 2nd and next pages too

Indeed, and if we can reduce the size of the sitemap files by editing line 193 in Sitemap.php we'd be tempted to try it to see what results we get too!

Reducing the size of the sitemap files was just for myself to make it easier to check the threads included. Don't think this has any effect on indexing.

Including all pages of a thread should have an effect on findability and probably indexing for google. Especially with large forums that has many threads/pages.

The loss of traffic related to this sitemap fiasco is causing me a lot of grief. I've just finished reading a ton of posts about this. XenForo's developers simply don't understand how Google's indexing works. For Google, content is king. It does not matter that page numbers have similar titles and metadata. They are still different pages, because they have different content! Submitted URLs get hands-on, top priority over everything else. Go in your Google Search Console and verify this for yourself.

We simply need the ability to index every single page of a thread. Anything less makes you non-competitive in search.

If you have your own server, just download a free PHP sitemap generator from Github and set up a chron job to run it whenever and however you want. I just did that and no longer have to worry about XenForo's built-in sitemap tool.

I am now submitting to Google just the index page, nodes, and threads. The rest Google can find on its own, if it feels like it. I'd rather have fewer good pages indexed than lots of crappy ones.

can you recommend something particular that has worked for you? i googled around and found a bunch of scripts. no point in testing them randomly if you have found something that should work well for us!

Plans for 2.5: Sitemap index file for websites with more than 50000 pages or XML files larger than 10 MB. Maybe gzip compression for the sitemap file.

doesn't look like it would be optimal for my board which would easily go above this limit. latest version is still 2.4.

Quoting this from another thread, since this one is more relevant to XenForo 2.1.

Google's opinion, too.

Although this doesn't strictly apply to sitemap submission, it does indeed confirm that Google like you to use the rel=next/prev mark up to hint to them related pages on different pages:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1663744?hl=en

You might be interested in this tweet, @Chris D.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top Bottom