site downtimes

I cant stand people that do this. I went through a rough 2 years of DOS attacks and have reached a point that I dont want to type out what I want to do to people that do this.

I wonder if it's the same person/people who did the DDOS right before beta 1 came out~

My tin foil hat is on, might be the Chinese. They were pretty pissed when Xenforo was announced.

You would think there would be an online crime service available to merely report a DDOS taking place on your systems. Information garnered by how and when the DDOS takes place, I imagine, would allow for a goal to be reached in combating said problems. Paypal, Mastercard, etc was the first wave of large scale attacks using a tool widely distributed on the internet.

Point being, there seems to not be an organization that acts as a resource for site owners going through DDOS issues. Luckily the XenPals are on the ball, but not everyone knows what to do under said circumstances.

The server admin can set limits within the software firewall I believe, I am not a server administrator, so you would have to ask Kier.
There comes a time when a trying to fight an attack at the server level isn't enough. mod_security and mod_evasive are relatively old protection schemes and easily defeated. It sounds as if Kier has moved to a hardware based solution. It makes one appreciate what security firms like Cisco like do.

That is sad that someone is doing this to you guys. Just goes to show you how pitiful some people are in this little world.

Hope you guys are able to get everything straightened out! (seems to be working fine for me)

Information garnered by how and when the DDOS takes place, I imagine, would allow for a goal to be reached in combating said problems.
Incorrect.

There is plenty of information about DDoS attacks, and you can gather information for another decade or so and there still won't be anything you can do to prevent them. All you can do is mitigate the effects.

And all due respect to KD and Co., but a hardware-based solution is not the most effective way to mitigate. The best way to mitigate DDoS is to have more bandwidth available than the attackers can muster. There are a few companies that provide that kid of service - Staminus, Prolexic, etc. They provide a pipe that can't be overwhelmed by a DDoS. It's seamless, awesome and expensive.

a hardware-based solution is not the most effective way to mitigate. The best way to mitigate DDoS is to have more bandwidth available than the attackers can muster.
The pipe was fine, there was less than a percentage point of the available bandwidth occupied by the flood. The problem was the 100Mb NIC in this server.

And all due respect to KD and Co., but a hardware-based solution is not the most effective way to mitigate. The best way to mitigate DDoS is to have more bandwidth available than the attackers can muster. There are a few companies that provide that kid of service - Staminus, Prolexic, etc. They provide a pipe that can't be overwhelmed by a DDoS. It's seamless, awesome and expensive.

Prolexic is 16k upfront and 8k/mo; quite the joke unless you're the Church of Scientology. Then it makes sense.

:rolleyes:

Prolexic is 16k upfront and 8k/mo; quite the joke unless you're the Church of Scientology. Then it makes sense.
I realize that it's hard to fathom from where you sit, but there are actually companies that bring in millions and millions of dollars a year hosting lots and lots of web sites. Those companies get DDoSed very frequently. When you have thousands of customers, one of them is always bound to be pissing off somebody somewhere, ya dig? To a company like that, with a large customer base to protect, a few thousand dollars a month is cheap insurance.

People are very sensitive about their web sites (and even more sensitive about their email), so if they go down for, oh, a few hours let's say, large numbers of those sensitive people tend to run away from you as quickly as they can and pay their money to some other host. That's no good. When they do that there's no money for my bonuses, and I need those bonuses to make the payments on my yacht, ya dig?

So the setup fee at a DDoS mitigation joint might be more money than a lot of you see in a year, but there's a big wide world out there with lots and lots of money in it. You may have to expand your imagination to comprehend it, but mental exercise is good for you. Try it sometime.

While this is partially correct, most small to mid sized tech firms do not have access to more bandwidth. It's not like we can call up a tier 1 provider and ask them to throw an extra 100mb of pipe our way for $100 a month. And regardless of how big your pipe is, you still have to have a setup that can deal with the traffic. By creating a larger avenue for attack packets, you're creating more work for your firewall, be it hardware or software based. Somewhere along the way you have to mitigate the attack method and deny send/receive.
So you need a bigger Network Interface card or Monster server then ?
Fighting DDoS attacks isn't done by adding more resources, but discovering a way to stop connectivity in the first place. If the attacker can clog up a 100mb NIC, there's a good chance he can clog up a 1gb NIC too.

I realize that it's hard to fathom from where you sit, but there are actually companies that bring in millions and millions of dollars a year hosting lots and lots of web sites. Those companies get DDoSed very frequently. When you have thousands of customers, one of them is always bound to be pissing off somebody somewhere, ya dig? To a company like that, with a large customer base to protect, a few thousand dollars a month is cheap insurance.

People are very sensitive about their web sites (and even more sensitive about their email), so if they go down for, oh, a few hours let's say, large numbers of those sensitive people tend to run away from you as quickly as they can and pay their money to some other host. That's no good. When they do that there's no money for my bonuses, and I need those bonuses to make the payments on my yacht, ya dig?

So the setup fee at a DDoS mitigation joint might be more money than a lot of you see in a year, but there's a big wide world out there with lots and lots of money in it. You may have to expand your imagination to comprehend it, but mental exercise is good for you. Try it sometime.

Hey bro, drop the attitude.

A startup getting sued in 2 countries and has an alexa rank of 12k. You mention an 8k/mo solution with a 16k start-up fee. Common sense solution, right?

You are off base yet relevant, sorry you got upset.

The best way to mitigate DDoS is to have more bandwidth available than the attackers can muster. There are a few companies that provide that kid of service - Staminus, Prolexic, etc. They provide a pipe that can't be overwhelmed by a DDoS. It's seamless, awesome and expensive.

The DDos usually hits the connection between the server and the and the pipe, not the pipe itself, most server configs I know use 100mb nics, a few 1000mb, and very rarely dual 1000. I know a few people who have booters and botnets that can hit with 300-500gb/s sort of power, VERY FEW servers can stand up to that.

Just to add in also, ive had my server hit by a solid Ddos before, thats on 1000mbit nic behind a hardware firewall and it still crumbled. I've also had it hit by slowloris floods, which are a nightmare to handle because usally you can't tell its happening until you take your server offline.

Top Bottom