XF 1.4 site down

Brad P

please see below my issue, ive not been able to access my site for around 5 hours so decided to call my host up. They have said its nothing there end and have wrote this in an email. Hopefully someone can help me on this as im getting a little worried to whats going on and how to fix it

Hello Bradley,

We have reviewed your issue with your site and discovered the issue.

It is not an issue with the server not working properly but how the site was built.

Upgrading to more memory will not fix the way the site was built. It was stated to me, that the site was a “bad built site”.

The site is maxing out the processes and not closing those processes.

After 125 of the process are open, the CPU starts to max out.

We attempted to kill the processes to solve issue but almost immediately after they were killed, it wwent right back to 125 processes and 100% CPU.

The site doesn’t necessarily need to be rebuilt but it absolutely needs to be optimized.

The core issue is the scripting the application is using - it needs to be fixed so it closes processes as soon as it's done serving up the information.

If there are any other question, we are open 24/7.

Try unchecking this:
View attachment 89373

Or find a new host.
if i could get there i would, have no access to the site is that in the AC options area

Edit. you also say "find a new host" straight away as if the host im using already cant do it. There saying its a script problem on xenforo part. i cant access or do anything in the admin area so how can i uncheck Enable Delayed Insert SQL?

Last edited:
If it was a problem with the XenForo software, we would have many more reports of it.

The fact that thousands of customers don't have any issues tends to indicate the software works fine and the problem is with your host.

It could be due to an add-on you have installed.
In which case, disabling all listeners in config.php may allow you to access the ACP.

It could be due to an add-on you have installed.
In which case, disabling all listeners in config.php may allow you to access the ACP.

Aha perfect response and much appreciated it seems like it could be possibly be a addon.

the site is slow but i can access it when i have added
$config['enableListeners'] = false; to the config.php now how will i know what addon is causing this? do i disable all in the admin panel and just activate each one, one at a time?

Yes, that is the best approach to determine which one is the problem.

After disabling them all in the ACP, set that line to true again.

Yes, that is the best approach to determine which one is the problem.

After disabling them all in the ACP, set that line to true again.
wow okay now i disabled all of them then set it to config to true, all okay so far and then activate one by one then i get the error so i go back to the config.php to false it but still get the error and cant do anything
$config['enableListeners'] = false; it still crashing i managed to

By definition, PHP closes its process when it finishes or marks it as available (depending on the exact SAPI in use). Any claim about "not closing processes" without any other detail makes me really wary of what the host is saying. They would really need to give specifics about what they're seeing because "built badly" is completely unactionable and, as noted, not representative of the rest of our customers.

I must also note that you made a reference to a DDoS shortly before posting this thread (https://xenforo.com/community/profile-posts/20981/). If you're getting DDoS'd, that might explain what the host said. It's a strange way of saying it though. A DDoS is something that really needs to be mitigated before the application is hit; if XF is being triggered by DDoS traffic, it's mostly too late. A DDoS is certainly something your host should be handling.

Hmmm in the end last night I just gave up and went to bed. The site has been running fine all day today. I was on the phone for 2 hours with the host and up till 3am. They said I needed to upgrade to a vps or dedicated server. But if that's true then wouldn't the site be down now?

I now believe the site was under attack and possible DDos.

Whats the best solution to stop this ?

Hmmm in the end last night I just gave up and went to bed. The site has been running fine all day today. I was on the phone for 2 hours with the host and up till 3am. They said I needed to upgrade to a vps or dedicated server. But if that's true then wouldn't the site be down now?

I now believe the site was under attack and possible DDos.

Whats the best solution to stop this ?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ultimate-ddos-solution-nice-on-the-budget-too.75809/

All sorted out now. Appreciate the link Azzid and thanks for heads up Mike. Hosting company's never take note of the main issue.

Please can we close this thread.

Top Bottom