Implemented Single Sign On (Connect XF with XF, WordPress, etc)

Alpha1

It would be really awesome if we would be able to connect multiple XF installs. Or a XF install with Wordpress, Magento, MediaWiki, etc.
Members would be able to use multiple sites and scripts with the same login or while they keep being logged in.

XF 2.1 has a REST API. Please extend this to OAuth (Open Authentication)

Remarks from the REST API suggestion thread:
- Remote user authentication by calling direct to the authentication system without having to reload or redirect people

There is still no outside script that can say "Log this user into XenForo". All the APIs I've seen require you to pass the login/email and password. Well, what if I don't have/store their password? Or what if I don't want to store the user's password in XenForo's database? What if I don't want to send that information across a domain? I should be able to have an outside script just TELL XenForo "user with e-mail address X should now be considered logged in!"

If you want to read just how painful it currently is to integrate XenForo with a third-party script that will be handling all the authentication, read here:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/login-logout-register-from-outside-xenforo.65878/#post-709906
I can only imagine the explosion of apps and third-party integrations that would be released...

It would be so cool to see what gets built. And OAuth authentication... ah, the possibilities!

Upvote 346
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Same, I would buy additional XenForo licenses, expand to parallel niches, and launch community forums for adjacent niches I already blog about if I could SSO and share my users across the entire network of forums and blogs.

It would be really awesome if we would be able to connect multiple XF installs. Or a XF install with Wordpress, Magento, MediaWiki, etc.
Members would be able to use multiple sites and scripts with the same login or while they keep being logged in.

XF 2.1 has a REST API. Please extend this to OAuth (Open Authentication)

Remarks from the REST API suggestion thread:

Well technically a XF SSO would have to be a service managed by the Xenforo creators. Because in order for it to be truly single sign on, there must be one single XF SSO authority.

So, anyone with a XF forum would be able accept "sign in with XF". Registrations would have to ping back to the central XF SSO server to register the members there.

Need this badly. I wanna make a 2nd XenForo community and would like my members to easily log into it with their current info from my main community.

So, what we really want is a customizable SSO per forum installation, it wouldn't be called XF SSO but rather your community name SSO. So a XF installation would need the capability to host an SSO server. Then you would be able to link other XF forums or services to it.

Well technically a XF SSO would have to be a service managed by the Xenforo creators. Because in order for it to be truly single sign on, there must be one single XF SSO authority.

So, anyone with a XF forum would be able accept "sign in with XF". Registrations would have to ping back to the central XF SSO server to register the members there.
Thats not what I am requesting with this suggestion. that would be a different suggestion.

I am suggesting a SSO between a XF install and another install. The second install can be wordpress, xenforo, wikimedia, or whatever.

Thats not what I am requesting with this suggestion. that would be a different suggestion.

I am suggesting a SSO between a XF install and another install. The second install can be wordpress, xenforo, wikimedia, or whatever.

What would the benefit be of having a local SSO vs using sign in with microsoft or apple across all your installs for instance?

Thats an entirely different discussion, but privacy, control and ease mainly. I don't want to share my members data with third parties. GDPR legislation would require me to request member permission first. I do not see any benefit in going through microsoft or apple if we can just connect installs locally.

Having a central registration point for all xenforo websites has been suggested before. There is a suggestion thread about it. But many webmasters would not want to connect their site to it, if it would come to exist. There would be privacy concerns & security concerns with having member data in a central database beyond your control. That's quite different from connecting two software installs on your own server.

I'd disagree with this. My support for this suggestion is SSO between a XF install and another install.

Wow. 160 votes for a suggestion. Okay, I am not frequently checking suggestions in here, but that´s the highest number I came across here.

Let me add my two cents worth... I am working on a teaching website and the whole reason why I purchased XenForo (other than it’s awesome software) is instead of having my members ask their questions on each webpage it would keep members questions in one central place. I will be using something called Sitelok to control which sections of my site each member can access.

I asked Sitelok today how I could use it with my forum and they said Xenforo didn’t support SSO. I was rather surprised and disappointed, since I have always thought of XenForo as a premier product. There are lots of new features always being tacked onto XenForo, and that is cool and all, but as far as functionality (in this day and age) I can think of nothing that would be of more use than adding SSO. I would gladly buy additional licenses of XenForo so that I could build other similar websites, if XenForo had this SSO feature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom