Simplify moving posts to existing thread

Kirby

When moving posts to an existing thread, the porcess currently works like this
  1. Select the posts that need to be moved
  2. Somehow get the URL of the target thread
  3. Open the dialog and type or paste the URL of the target

This is tedious and often requires copying the URL of the target thread which does not feel very App-like and might not even be possible (for example in a standalone PWA).
Especially if one encounters posts that need to be moved just in time (eg. the target URL is not yet available at step one) it seems a bit awkward to navigate to the target thread, copy the URL, open the dialog, select existing thread and paste the URL again.

To make this process a bit easier I suggest to add a third target option: This Thread.
If this option is used, selected posts would be moved to the thread where the dialog was invoked from so the process could instead be
  2. Navigate to the target thread
  3. Bring up the dialog and select This Thread as target

Upvote 21
Or as an additional option:
Have on the dialog a search field for threads where it searches all thread titles on-the-fly by typing like it does when @-tagging users. Then it shows search results and select destination thread.

Off-Topic:
@Kirby kind of same username, kind of same needs for xenforo (not only in this thread I stumble over your posts) :D i remember when I changed my username to Kerby yours "Kirby" was already in use so I decided for Kerby :) (Grüsse aus dem südlichen Schoggiland)

And as an additional option to what's already been suggested (great suggestions btw)-

Add a drop-down menu in the Move posts moderation box which lists the ~10 latest threads within the node. (I find most of my moves are to latest threads within the same node)

When moving posts to an existing thread, the porcess currently works like this
  2. Somehow get the URL of the target thread
  3. Open the dialog and type or paste the URL of the target

This is tedious and often requires copying the URL of the target thread which does not feel very App-like and might not even be possible (for example in a standalone PWA).
Especially if one encounters posts that need to be moved just in time (eg. the target URL is not yet available at step one) it seems a bit awkward to navigate to the target thread, copy the URL, open the dialog, select existing thread and paste the URL again.

To make this process a bit easier I suggest to add a third target option: This Thread.
If this option is used, selected posts would be moved to the thread where the dialog was invoked from so the process could instead be
  2. Navigate to the target thread
  3. Bring up the dialog and select This Thread as target
That seems a very elegant solution to a tedious problem
I hope the XF team put it on their "to do list"

I like the idea. I currently have a private forum where I do drafts for things like my book group. Then I copy the final version to the thread. Sometimes have to copy and paste to a new post in the thread, though, since copy/move can bring it with too early a date depending on when I started the draft.

I like the idea. I currently have a private forum where I do drafts for things like my book group. Then I copy the final version to the thread. Sometimes have to copy and paste to a new post in the thread, though, since copy/move can bring it with too early a date depending on when I started the draft.
I have just found an Add-on by AndyB called Change Date
I am going to install it

But we still need that additional opion This Thread as requested by the OP
It is a very tedioous process moving a thread

Top Bottom