Not a bug Moving posts to the new thread does not respect watch status

ivp

Affected version
After moving posts from the watched thread to the new thread, the new thread is not watched as it should be.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Watch some thread
  2. Move post from such thread to completely new thread
  3. New thread is not watched, but it should be

Why would moving posts between threads change the watched status? The watch is on a thread, not on a particular post(s) in that thread. This is exactly the behaviour that I would want and expect. Not everyone watching the source thread is necessarily interested in the destination thread (e.g. if you are moving posts that are off-topic). If you are moving posts and someone wants to watch the destination thread, then they can set a watch on that thread.

Off topic posts are usually deleted, i.e. not moved to another thread.

The new thread is based on the old one and should have the same watch status as the old one. If not interested, the user can unwatch it.

Off topic posts are usually deleted, i.e. not moved to another thread.

The new thread is based on the old one and should have the same watch status as the old one. If not interested, the user can unwatch it.
Disagree on your first point. We will sometimes move off-topic posts to one where they are on-topic. In fact, we avoid deleting posts other than obvious spam or hate speech.

In any case, I don't see that this is a bug. The code is doing what it is supposed to do, moving the post to a different thread. There is nothing about moving a post that logically should trigger a watch on the new thread. This is probably custom or a suggestion.

Yeah agreed. I somewhat understand the use case but it's just not something we're trying to do in this case nor do I necessarily think we should so this isn't really a bug.

Top Bottom