Similar Threads

Similar Threads 5.3

No permission to download
Just a tip that I thought others may like.....

I wanted to move the Similar Threads block from below the first post, to below the LAST post of the thread.

To do so, first you need to have debug mode enabled, then click on Template Modifications, then the "message" template, and change the following code:

<xen:if is="{$post.position} == 0 AND !{$message.conversation_id}">

to:

<xen:if is=" {$post.position} == {$thread.reply_count} AND {$thread.reply_count} % {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} > 1 AND !{$message.conversation_id}">
This will insert the Simple Threads block AFTER the last post, but only if there is more than one post in the thread.

It would be cool to see this as one of the settings in the Options page. Once I changed to this, my users thanked me!

Reactions: rdn
You already have that option in ACP of that addon: Show Below Quick Reply
Or I am missing something?

The option to show it below the quickreply shows it on every page of the thread. Probably not an issue for most people, but in my case it was pushing my advertising banner down too far and killing click-through. My modification just puts it at the bottom of the very last page, and above the quick-reply box.

Hello,
I installed this addon but i,m facing this problem.
I used following plugin for install and upgrade
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-on-install-upgrade.960

erver Error
rtrim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given

1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. rtrim() in Andy/SimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Thread.php at line 56
  3. Andy_SimilarThreads_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 351
  4. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  5. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/demoforum/public_html/forum/index.php at line 13

I would love to see a bd widget framework sidebar for this. Just needs to show a few threads with titles only, so it wouldn't take up that much space.

So, I had this plugin running on my forum few months ago. I installed the latest build today and I cannot seem to get it working.

Here is what I have tried. Removing the plugin and then reinstalling the xml file.
I have enabled similar thread setting for all user groups.
I even restarted my VPS in case it was a caching issue.
I can't get the similar threads to appear on my forum!
What could I be missing here? Thanks.

Hi,
I just experienced an error while creating a thread in an excluded forumnode:

ErrorException: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given - library/Andy/SimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php:41

After removing those excluded nodes its working and I can live with that.

I've tested this but it pushes my bottom ad down below the similar threads block - is there any way to put ad_below_content above the similar threads block?

@AndyB , could you explain to me how you get the similar threads. I noticed for a while now, that only very old threads are being displayed.

Here is a good example: http://www.planet-liebe.de/threads/beziehungspause.560520/

The thread is called "Beziehungspause" and was posted last monday.

There are 4 similar threads, even though the max results setting is 5. There are threads from 2009, 2009, 2006 and 2005.

If i use the search form and only search for "Beziehungspause" with the settings "search title only", i've get A LOT of threads from 2016 and 2015. All those threads should be listed there (in my opinion).

That shouldn't be the problem. I've advanced search (ES 2) but i had the issues with and without advanced search.

Does anyone have the problem with high CPU usage after installed this addon? my server loads increase 300% after i installed this so i had to remove it.

solution: i need to use ES for board over 1mil posts.

thanks

Last edited:
@AndyB

Can you please send me v 4.8?

I upgraded to 4.9 and it made the add-on worse.

The results it now gives for similar threads are way more inaccurate, whereas previously in 4.8 they were very accurate and seemed to spot the right words in thread titles.

I want to go back to how it was in 4.8... It's like night and day for us - not sure what changes you made?

We use ES 2.x

EDIT: Cool, 4.8 was still downloadable from the version history tab.

I can confirm it! Even though we know have the latest "similar threads", before upgrading to 4.9 the results where much better!

Stopped working after upgrading to XenForo 1.5.7:

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
rtrim() in Andy/SimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Thread.php at line 56
Andy_SimilarThreads_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 351
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /public_html/index.php at line 13

Tried Similar Threads 4.8 and 4.9. :(

Not working anymore. Do I have to rebuild elasticsearch index or something? :(

edit: Installed 4.9 again. Working.

Last edited:
Top Bottom