Not a bug Similar threads widget finding threads only by the same user as thread starter

Mr Lucky

Affected version
This can't be right? If so is there way to stop it?

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 16.59.21.webp

These threads are extremely dissimilar, the only similarity is started by same member (thread start of the thread the widget is displayed in

What I have noticed is all the threads start with a similar phrase

Hello does anybody know the where abouts

But those are all stop words. So possibly those are getting included?

I’m also aware of some dissimilar results here:

It looks as though the similar threads on that page are no longer all from the same author. Are you still running into this issue elsewhere? Elasticsearch automatically picks out significant terms from the text based on how (in)frequently they might appear in other messages.

It looks as though the similar threads on that page are no longer all from the same author. Are you still running into this issue elsewhere? Elasticsearch automatically picks out significant terms from the text based on how (in)frequently they might appear in other messages.
Yes, it does look like they now not from same author.

I haven't seen exactly the same issue, but plenty of instances where there does seem to be no relevance still. Also on here as mentioned above.

While I can appreciate that the algorithmic selection of keywords can yield results that don't appear relevant in all cases, we wouldn't consider these anomalies a true bug, and the feature does seem to work as anticipated on the whole. We do have some ideas for how we might improve the relevance in future versions.

Feel free to create a new bug report if anything especially odd turns up, but fundamentally the algorithm just picks results that share "more-unique" words in the text body. This can cause it to pick up on the diction of a certain member, which, looking through the results of original post, is the likely culprit here.

Top Bottom