Signup abuse detection and blocking

Signup abuse detection and blocking [Paid] 1.15.6

No permission to buy ($45.00)
While registering on website for purchsing the license I get this error message -

Your account has been rejected for the following reason: Your registration has been rejected as it resembles spam-like or automated behavior. Please contact the administrator for further information or assistance..
Please try again, there was an old rule which was a bit too aggressive

Reactions: ENF
Xon updated Signup abuse detection and blocking with a new update entry:

1.11.1 - Feature & bugfix update

• Fix php 8.1 compatibility bug on user registration when multi-account detection triggers
  • Fix php 8.1 compatibility bug in non-cloudflare TOR detection
  • Fix a too long reject reason from the approval queue would be truncated instead of allowing to error
  • Fix GeoIP country from the ASN lookup when no other GeoIP provider is configured
  • Fix error viewing multi-account logs for a user which had a linked account that was fully-deleted instead of disabled
  • Add rules trigger...

Read the rest of this update entry...

ok, so what changed that I am getting more moderated users all of a sudden?
The spam-check logs should report why they are hitting the approval queue. Impossible to say without seeing samples (feel free to PM some to me)

The spam-check logs should report why they are hitting the approval queue. Impossible to say without seeing samples (feel free to PM some to me)
please post results, I'm seeing a ton of additional approvals as well. Tweaked a couple new settings, see if that helps.

The latest seemed to trigger on this....I have all these values at 0, so unsure why it would force it to moderate:

• Browser language: en
  • moderate. Browser language: en-US in US

Last edited:
ok, so what changed that I am getting more moderated users all of a sudden?
please post results, I'm seeing a ton of additional approvals as well. Tweaked a couple new settings, see if that helps.

The latest seemed to trigger on this....I have all these values at 0, so unsure why it would force it to moderate:

• Browser language: en
  • moderate. Browser language: en-US in US
Can you edit the options "Country timezone - Unknown" and "Country language - Unknown" from "moderate" to "none" scoring? I'll change the default for these shortly.

Xon updated Signup abuse detection and blocking with a new update entry:

1.11.2 - Bugfix update

• Reduce false positives from country/language matching.
    • Remove various 0|countryCode-language-countryCode entires from the "Country language" option as these are no longer required.
  • Update options "Country timezone - Unknown" and "Country language - Unknown"
    • Update defaults to more sensible values
    • Change options "Country timezone - Unknown" and "Country language - Unknown" from "moderate" to "none" scoring due to v1.11.1 having bad...

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Xon, when a user is moderated and it says "Total Score: 0. Moderated. Direct rule selection", what does that mean?

No it didn't (but it did before i think). I will take a screenshot next time it appears.
Your registration log saves all the results. admin.php?logs/user-registration/ You can pull samples from there.

Looking at our logs, most of our 'moderated' results have this result:
Code:
Total score: +3
Moderated. Score exceeded (+3 >= 3)
Some others that have:
Code:
Total score: 0
Moderated. Direct rule selection
Some of these, I can ID most commonly by:
  • Shared IP with banned user
  • Multiple Account Moderation

There at least seems to a reason that is in the data, I'm still looking for one that was moderated that I can't tell why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xon
So, here is a new user in the moderation log:

1666174573974.webp

I can't see the direct rule. Or is it the unknown email domain. And if so, when is a email domain unknown? In this case it's a very popular domain in germany.

View attachment 275227

I can't see the direct rule. Or is it the unknown email domain. And if so, when is a email domain unknown? In this case it's a very popular domain in germany.
I can attest that the unknown email isn’t really an issue, at least for us. We have plenty of allowed registrations with that same status on various popular domains.

View attachment 275227

Check that you've updated to the latest version, or have changed the 'country timezone - unknown' option. The initial defaults for the 'browser timezone matched to country' had bad defaults.

Top Bottom