Signup abuse detection and blocking

Signup abuse detection and blocking [Paid] 1.15.6

No permission to buy ($45.00)
Just check my database and I saw there are about 1000 users with 0 posts signed up last few years and have url in their profile.
Would this addon pick up these old spammers or only new registration?
@Xon

I think the "unknown email domain" line in the check is an issue as my mods area always rejecting good members. I don't see any way I can turn that off? No way I can keep up a whitelist of all the valid email domains.

I'll look into add-ing a feature flag to disable that feature, but it is a relatively low priority at the moment due to XF2.2 migration work.

I think the "unknown email domain" line in the check is an issue as my mods area always rejecting good members. I don't see any way I can turn that off? No way I can keep up a whitelist of all the valid email domains.
You can allow your mods to approve valid email domains. All they need to do is view the search query to see if the domain is fake/temp or not. Then approve the domain or blacklist it.
Once you get some domains into your system you will see the number of moderated accounts greatly reduced. I only get spammers and the occasional new domain.

Is there a way to automatically reject new registration if account is detected as duplicate using cookie and specify reason for rejection to user?

Also would like to exclude some countries from checking IP address.

Last edited:
We have pretty common situation that a user creates account having typo in email address. Such account remains in state "Awaiting email confirmation". After some time such user creates a new account with correct email address. This add-on properly detects it as a duplicate.

The thing is that in approval queue there is no information about previous account email address nor its status, which would help make a better decision. So supermoderators (which do not have access to admin panel and don't see all the facts) reject such new user account instead of approving it.

Please advise.

I think the best solution is for it to link to the multi-account reporting thread which would have those details or to post those details into the approval queue.

What my forums do is we've got a report queue (via Report Centre Essentials) for multi-account reporting, and then staff work through that list and treat the approval queue as advisor.

The trick is this form doesn't exactly have a large amount of room for additional information without getting horrifically bloated.

We use "Multiple Account To Thread" addon which creates threads when multiple accounts are detected. I think they contain the same data as reports? We tried using reports, but since every report has to be approved or rejected, that didn't make much sense, or am I missing something?

Such thread is not linked from approval queue, so need to browse specific forum.

Also not seeing information such as email address in the reported thread, just Status field info. So need to open admin panel to see if there was a typo, but supermoderators cannot do that.

@Xon in the past two weeks we've had a large increase in the number of fake passport scam registrations and people submitting contact us threads advertising them as well. nothing really has changed on the forum so I can't quite make out why they're slipping through the cracks all of a sudden. any suggestions on how to get them to be blocked again?

I use some spam phrases which tend to hit these, I've also used Cloudlfare browser challenge feature via firewall aimed as various ASN's which help for particularly aggressive spammers

We use "Multiple Account To Thread" addon which creates threads when multiple accounts are detected. I think they contain the same data as reports? We tried using reports, but since every report has to be approved or rejected, that didn't make much sense, or am I missing something?
Multi-account reporting can be configured to generate a report based on the report's status (ie only report if the match has been seen if the report is in a Rejected state)

Such thread is not linked from approval queue, so need to browse specific forum.

Also not seeing information such as email address in the reported thread, just Status field info. So need to open admin panel to see if there was a typo, but supermoderators cannot do that.
The trouble is the email address may not always be available.

The template sv_multiple_account_macros and the macro renderHtml do have access to what user entity which is available so you can simple edit it to print $primaryUser.email and $log.User.email to add those to the display.

The template sv_multiple_account_macros and the macro renderHtml do have access to what user entity which is available so you can simple edit it to print $primaryUser.email and $log.User.email to add those to the display.
Is it possible to add email address and status of duplicate accounts into the approval queue entry?

I use some spam phrases which tend to hit these, I've also used Cloudlfare browser challenge feature via firewall aimed as various ASN's which help for particularly aggressive spammers
is that something baked into the addon or that i need to do separately?

@Alpha1 as you've used this add-on and WMTech, how comparable is the multiple account detection?

For the most part the people I have to worry about aren't really people who are going to be doing VPN/Proxies, but people who are simply trying to bypass account restrictions.

Top Bottom