Signup abuse detection and blocking

Signup abuse detection and blocking [Paid] 1.15.6

No permission to buy ($45.00)
After updating, URLs in the "Link Spam checker: Reject" have all been removed so I need to manually add them back. I can't even remember half of the ones I blocked. Not happy.

Apologies. That option was renamed in v1.7.0 and it looks like some data migration was missed :(

SQL:
select * from xf_admin_log where request_data like '%svLinkSpamCheckerBlackList%';
You should be able to fetch the older version out of the admin log. The json bits are a little hard to parse but I can help you via PM if required

We're noting that its listing common domains as unknown. (Emphasis by me)

Registration form completed: 34 sec
accept. Unknown email domain: gmail.com
Total score: 0
It also did it for a live.com email address.

That is logical. If you use this functionality then you will need to define which email domains you want to whitelist.

Reactions: Xon
Version 1.7.x gives you control over which email domains you want to allow and disallow. This way you can truly deny all fake/temp email.

You can import a list of fake email domains or you can use the link in the user moderation queue to see what comes up in search engine result for the domain.

I found some lists, but I think it is very hard to maintain.. so many domains, this could change daily but these lists are out of date already:

Or maybe this service which has an API?

Last edited:
@Xon this seems like an outlier, but wanted to see if you might have any thoughts.

According to the Spam Trigger Log, this user was rejected. However, when I go and look at her user ID, she is a valid, registered user. Any idea why?

Code:
Action: Rejected Checking: kattywalker246, [email removed], 129.205.124.133, 4. StopForumSpam hit: email, Country detected: NG, ASN37148, globacom-as, Hostname detected: 129.205.124.133, accept. Javascript disabled, accept. IP threat score: 0.92, Total score: 4, Rejected. Score exceeded (4 >= 1)
Generated by: kattywalker246 Tuesday at 9:49 AM Content: user
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(32) "/forums/index.php?method=sign_in"
  ["referrer"] => string(0) ""
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["method"] => string(7) "sign_in"
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(1) {
    ["TapatalkParamsLog"] => array(8) {
      [0] => string(32) "2FAAA55E0CA430E23F6E9B5D05F95EA9"
      [1] => string(8) "********"
      [2] => string(24) "[email removed]"
      [3] => string(14) "kattywalker246"
      [4] => string(8) "********"
      [5] => array(2) {
        ["birthday"] => string(10) "[birthday removed]"
        ["first_name"] => string(5) "Katty"
      }
      [6] => string(8) "********"
      ["useragent"] => string(116) "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.86 Safari/537.36 Tapatalk/8.8.7"
    }
  }
}

Top Bottom