Signup abuse detection and blocking

Signup abuse detection and blocking [Paid] 1.15.6

No permission to buy ($45.00)
@Xon

I don't mind if people have multiple accounts for whatever reason, even allow it for some groups with my site's ToS. But, I do not want to end up getting a barrage of forum bot signups where I get like tens to hundreds of new users per day that just want signature links, etc.. Will this + CAPTCHA protect against that?

The multiple account handling is purely optional, the other parts of the add-on are related to connection profiling. A large amount of spam tends to come from either VPN/Colo/hosting providers or is human spam from countries that me not be your target audience. While this don't block all spam, it is a great starting point to reduce it and a toolkit to block common spammy providers.

Reactions: frm
Xon updated Signup abuse detection and blocking with a new update entry:

1.0.11 - Bugfix update

• Missing phrase usage in bbcode template
  • Fix _preSave/_postSave in some entities was not protected
  • Add "Include raw information into reported content" option (default disabled) used to expose the information to search.
  • Add permission checks to multi-account bbcode block
  • Push can-view-multi-account permission check into bbcode rendering and viewing a multi-account thread/conversation/report
  • Update...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Updated from XF 1.5 version and updated the reports. Not sure it updated the count in the title correctly?

For example:

memberX has 0 multiple accounts
On registration, it looks like memberx is an alter ego of memberz...

memberx , Triggered detection methods:
- Cookie

Shouldn't that count be 2?

@Xon , this is great and what we have been waiting on in order to go to XF 2.1! I do have a question; one of the things that has always plagued us is multi-hits on people we KNOW to be ok, like husbands and wives or roommates. Is there any way to make a whitelist for such connections?

@Xon , this is great and what we have been waiting on in order to go to XF 2.1! I do have a question; one of the things that has always plagued us is multi-hits on people we KNOW to be ok, like husbands and wives or roommates. Is there any way to make a whitelist for such connections?
You can give them permission to bypass the alter-ego detector, you can disable reporting for that combination, or disable reporting for a particular account.

You can give them permission to bypass the alter-ego detector, you can disable reporting for that combination, or disable reporting for a particular account.

That is FANTATSTIC!!! The ability to disable reporting for particular combinations is exactly what we have needed for years and years! I am sold! We will be buying this for all our sites and pushing to XF 2.1. Thank you!

That is FANTATSTIC!!! The ability to disable reporting for particular combinations is exactly what we have needed for years and years! I am sold! We will be buying this for all our sites and pushing to XF 2.1. Thank you!
That functionality might be a little wonky, but that is what bugfix updates are for!

Discovered a bug this morning:

User registered an account, screwed up the username, then registered a 2nd account. Account was caught correctly and reported.

I then deleted the first registration, so the 2nd would go thru correctly. The user still cannot confirm their registration, and still gets the "duplicate account" error.

I then accessed my Admin panel, and their Multiple Account tab. The deleted account still appears on the list, despite no longer being in the system. When I select "Ignore for future events", I get an error - "the reported user could not be found"

Code:
[LIST]
[*]Action: Moderated
[*]Generated by: username2
[*]Friday at 8:30 AM
[*]Checking: username2, user@domain.com, 1.1.1.1
[*]Moderating, Multiple account - Cookie, IP address: 1.1.1.1 - Username: usermane1, UserId: 123456
[*]Country detected: US
[*]ASN2386, AT&T Data Communications Services
[*]Hostname detected: 1.1.1.1
[*]Registration form completed: 75 sec
[*]Total score: 0
[*]Moderated. Direct rule selection
[/LIST]

---- EDIT ----

Changed the User State from "Rejected" to "Awaiting Email Confirmation" and suspect that will allow the user to confirm correctly. Will report back once they follow thru on their end.

Last edited:
"Rejected" is not the same as deleted, so the duplicate account error is expected. Will look into why "the reported user could not be found" bit didn't work however.

Top Bottom