1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signature Speed - Split from 'How is XenForo so Fast?'

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Dean, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

If you *really* want to see fast, turn off viewing sigs, I find that much faster.

2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I started browsing with sigs disabled when the messages/trophies images started to become prevalent. Yes, it's seriously fast then :)

Enigma likes this.
  3. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

My sig image loads 2x quicker than a gravatar, even when it's not grabbing it from a cache ;)

4. Princeton

Princeton Well-Known Member

ah yes, I really hate those images - time to disable sigs

5. Disjunto

once again, my sig image loads quicker than my avatar :p

6. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I did that the first day they showed up :).

7. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Regardless, and extra 15 sig images per page load slows things down. :)

Yup.

8. Disjunto

not as much as the 15 avatars though :p

9. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Completely turn off images in your browser and sites will load even faster. :D

10. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

When those images became prevalent it made me think of suggesting an option for turning images off in sigs without turning off sigs completely. :D

11. Disjunto

that's kind of the point I'm making. If the 2kb image in my sig is such an issue, just disable images,css and JS. it'll run even faster then

12. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Are the trophy images hosted on another server?

13. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

For me it's not an issue of speed - it's an issue of signatures carrying more weight than the posts themselves. I just want to read what people are saying, rather than being bombarded with signature images etc.

ankurs likes this.
  14. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I agree.

Hopefully there is the option in the ACP to prohibit images in signatures?

15. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

That's how I see it. On almost every forum I frequent, (including this) I have signatures turned off.

16. Floris

Floris Guest

I tend to not have signatures turned on, unless it is part of the moderating job.

17. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

But then again, text signatures are okay. Wouldn't an option of which images / video's you do and don't want to see be a good idea? In that case, you can disable images and video's (which often annoy me personally) in your control panel, without disabling signatures altogether.

18. Disjunto

I understand that, which is why I tried to design my sig image to blend in to the site as much as possible, obviously other people have other ideas :p

19. Destron

Destron Member

This had not ocurred to me, I've always thought signatures give people the ability to show some of their personality. :)

Darkimmortal likes this.