XF 1.2 Signature Permissions

XenForo 1.2 now has a new collection of permissions to control what your users can put in their signatures.

For performance reasons, these restrictions are only checked when a user tries to change their signature. It will not invalidate existing signatures.

The easiest thing to do is to simply show the permissions that can be set:

ss-2013-03-29_16-31-02.webp

For user friendliness, if a user tries to use a BB code tag that they don't have permission to use, it will simply be stripped out. For other errors (too many images, too long, etc), the user will receive an error.

I can look into it though I do worry about it potentially being misleading to admins that don't realize that limitation.

Would it be possible to exclude external images by type? Being able to disable external animated gifs would be useful as well.

Mike, absolutely great! This will make it very easy to have staged usergroup permissions so that new members are limited in what they can put in their sig until they meet criteria that movies them into a secondary group that allows for greater permissions. (y)

This is exactly what we do on WTF.com using the promotion system and another add-on. Good to see I can drop yet another add-on. Awesome news, Mike!

Actually small AdminCP features like this really round things out and make it more comfortable for other people on less-desirable solutions to come aboard...

There is already usergroups, a promotion system, etc. Would be great to have this which works with the other two to limit spam/abuses.

yeah, nice...... but sorry to say: I do not see this feature as an "important priority" in XF-development.
:confused:
I think there are a lot of small things to do to make the life of admins easier. And its a good time to enhance the current features as well :)

yeah, nice...... but sorry to say: I do not see this feature as an "important priority" in XF-development.
It's called progressive enhancement. If you make small changes, that don't take forever, you can easily please plenty of customers while making the product seem less stale. If all they did was add major features, without progress enhancement, the system would be come hobbled together and difficult to manage for plenty of things. Small things like this should be a priority to round out vx.X releases so its not an overwhelming amount of work on the dev side, but still provides a substantial amount of features to push customers to upgrade.

In your opinion. Lots of people would disagree with you. Why not just be grateful for all development work because each small part is a move in the right direction? And when they've finished with signatures, maybe the next thing will be something you do see as a priority, in your opinion.

XenForo 1.2 now has a new collection of permissions to control what your users can put in their signatures.

For performance reasons, these restrictions are only checked when a user tries to change their signature. It will not invalidate existing signatures.

The easiest thing to do is to simply show the permissions that can be set:

View attachment 43022

For user friendliness, if a user tries to use a BB code tag that they don't have permission to use, it will simply be stripped out. For other errors (too many images, too long, etc), the user will receive an error.
THANKS The streets was fiending for this. Having to install other addons just to customize sig permissions was lame.

Sorry, I was thinking about uploaded images - obviously we can't control linked images.

ATM we can set dimension limits for uploaded files in posts, I was wondering if the same could be applied to signature images? Or are all uploads (wherever they are posted) stored / assessed in the same way?
How about using some CSS magic for limiting the size of ANY image (uploaded or linked) that appears in user signatures? Would this help, perhaps?

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/limit-graphics-in-sig-file-to-one.24812/#post-302093

I would prefer to see this type of thing in other profile fields as well, especially about, which is heavily spammed... as well as other spam prevention techniques by limiting links anywhere until x criterion is met. Profile posts, et cetera. Spam is out of control, and IMHO, all these facets need to be covered at the core level, as it drives admins nuts constantly trying to protect their forums from manual spammers.

Top Bottom