XF 1.2 Signature Permissions

XenForo 1.2 now has a new collection of permissions to control what your users can put in their signatures.

For performance reasons, these restrictions are only checked when a user tries to change their signature. It will not invalidate existing signatures.

The easiest thing to do is to simply show the permissions that can be set:

ss-2013-03-29_16-31-02.webp

For user friendliness, if a user tries to use a BB code tag that they don't have permission to use, it will simply be stripped out. For other errors (too many images, too long, etc), the user will receive an error.

Mike, absolutely great! This will make it very easy to have staged usergroup permissions so that new members are limited in what they can put in their sig until they meet criteria that moves them into a secondary group that allows for greater permissions. (y)

It's basically pointless IMO because I'd just use a small image, save the sig, and then change it to another image. That's where uploaded images would be important.

Sorry, I was thinking about uploaded images - obviously we can't control linked images.

ATM we can set dimension limits for uploaded files in posts, I was wondering if the same could be applied to signature images? Or are all uploads (wherever they are posted) stored / assessed in the same way?

It's basically pointless IMO because I'd just use a small image, save the sig, and then change it to another image. That's where uploaded images would be important.

It'd still stop most non-technical users though. Our biggest problem is people using massive external animated gifs. Any chance you could add an option to prevent that?

Could you add an option to have a minimum number of post before being able to have a signature.

That can already be done with usergroup promotion.

Lower groups have "Edit signature" set to (no) then promote to a higher group after x no. posts and set it to allow. (y)

Really handy update, one question though, can we limit the number of links? Or is that tied to the maximum number of lines?
Shouldn't be hard to add, though you can limit that that implicitly by number of printable characters.

It'd still stop most non-technical users though. Our biggest problem is people using massive external animated gifs. Any chance you could add an option to prevent that?
I can look into it though I do worry about it potentially being misleading to admins that don't realize that limitation.

No maximum height feature for signatures?
It's not possible to really define a maximum height here as it's down to browser variations, etc. You can do this trivially through a max-height+overflow hidden CSS.

Top Bottom