Sibling

SeToY

Hello XenForo-World! :)

So.. i've chosen to be a part of you and experiencing the first... well, not problems, but questions :)

What is a "Sibling"?

Thank you, have a nice Day :)

SeToY

Hey Deebs,

so, what's the difference between a Child-Forum and a Sibling? If it's something "at the same level", isn't it the same as a normal forum?

Greetings

Hmm.. I'm still confused as I don't see a difference on how it shows in the forum. I created both a child and a sibling of a forum and I get the same results. Perhaps a little info on when should I use a forum as a sibling or a child forum may help.

Thanks!

Consider this forum tree:

(Root)
-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
------ C2
---- B3

In this tree, B1 has two siblings, B2 and B3. B2's siblings are B1 and B3. B1 has no children, but B2 has two children: C1 and C2, which are at the same level as each other, so they are each others' siblings. A1 has no siblings at all.

Oh - Its difficult to understand - I think I understand what Kier said - but..

Lets say I stand in B2 - should I then make a child (C3) or stand in C1 and here use sibling to make C3? Its there any difference in that?

It doesn't matter how you do it.

If you hover over the 2 options, you will note that the parent node ID is the same in each case (bottom left of your browser).

It doesn't matter how you do it.

If you hover over the 2 options, you will note that the parent node ID is the same in each case (bottom left of your browser).

Thanks Brogan .. Now I got it..
redface.png

Hello, sorry for revive an older thread, but i just used the search system and i prefer to ask it again.

It's really confusing.

Describing it:
(Root)
-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
------ C2
---- B3

It's the same to create a node (A1) and make a child node (B1, B2, B3) and then make child node for B2 (C1, C2), isn't ?

Or siblings works diferent?

Relatively speaking yes it is the same but it is a matter of relativity.

the way B1,B2,B3 are children of A1 and are also siblings to each other,

is the same way C1 and C2 are children of B2 and also siblings to each other

Analogy: Your mother has two kids, she calls you both children because compared to her you are her children so you are a child there...but when you talk to your brother you refer to him as sibling because from where you stand he is your brother or sibling. It is all relative.

So if you have this....
-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
---- B3

and you want to create C2 in the proper place according to your quote you can do it two ways
(Root)
-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
------ C2
---- B3

1. you could create a child node of B2
2. you could create a sibling node of C1

-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
------ C2 (sibling of C1 & child of B2)
---- B3

Hopefully that makes sense.

So it's just another way of make the same thing? It seems worthless, but what i know, anyway. Thanks for answer.
I wouldn't quite say it is worthless...consider having a node with 50 children, you may have a node called nodeX and want to have a node appear directly after it...you could just click on create sibling on nodeX in the node tree and it would be in the right place....or say on the same board you know you need to add another node within a parent node you could quickly find that parent node to be and click create child. It isn't useless when it ends up saving you time on a board with a lot of nodes but I suppose it can appear that way when you don't really need it.

I wouldn't quite say it is worthless...consider having a node with 50 children, you may have a node called nodeX and want to have a node appear directly after it...you could just click on create sibling on nodeX in the node tree and it would be in the right place....or say on the same board you know you need to add another node within a parent node you could quickly find that parent node to be and click create child. It isn't useless when it ends up saving you time on a board with a lot of nodes but I suppose it can appear that way when you don't really need it.

You didnt explained in that way, so if i create a sibling node it gonna appears automatically after its sibling node? Meaning that is you have:

(Root)
-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
------ D1
------ E1
------ F1
And so on...
---- B3

And you want to create a node after C1, you only create sibling node and it will appear after C1 (as C2) and before D1, without be remaking their display orden?

Then it's useful.

No, not directly after, not even definitely after, it could be before...you have to consider it's display order..
'.webp
if the node you are creating a sibling of has a display order of 9 and you create a sibling and assign it a display order of 1 it will appear before it's sibling because 1 < 9 and it displays the lowest display order first, but both will appear within their parent.

Also before you get confused...in this diagram above...

-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
------ C2
---- B3
The letters correspond to generations sort of in a way, A is a parent of all B , B is parent to all C, C is parent to all D and so on....

(Root)
-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
------ D1
------ E1
------ F1
And so on...
---- B3

C is a child of B and D should be a child of C but the way you are displaying it you are showing D as a sibling to C which is incorrect.
Think of A as parents, B as children, C as grandchildren and D as great-grandchildren and so on

If you create a sibling of C1 you end up with C2 , if you create a child of C1 you end up with D1
(Root)
-- A1
---- B1
---- B2
------ C1
------ C2 ( = sibling of C1 )
-------- D1 ( = child of C2 )
---------- E1 ( = child of D1)
---------- E2 ( = sibling of E1 and also child of D1)
------------ F1
---- B3

what I was saying is if you have a node with a lot of children...that is when having the two different options can come in handy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I know this is a bit old but from my understanding the way nodes are setup (Siblings and Child) is just for ease of use when creating your node tree. Siblings and child are both "SUB FORUMS" basically. So from my understanding it does not really matter if you choose child or sibling they both will be sub forums. Anything under "parent" are considered "child" and every node under parent are all siblings to each other.

For me it was a bit confusing maybe still is but it makes sense this way and easier when creating boards. You can easily create siblings and child from every board/Node. I think the whole purpose of this setup by Xenforo was to make it easier when creating your boards.

Example:
Main Board (Root)
- General Discussions (Child of "Main Board" and Introductions "Sibling")
- Introductions (Child of "Main Board" and General Discussions "Sibling")

Creating Nodes/Boards:
Main Board (Root)
- General Discussions (Create a child (sub forum) or another sibling = "General Discussion and introductions sibling" )
- Introductions (Create a child (sub forum) or another sibling = "General Discussion and introductions sibling" )

Now if you have "Main Board (Root)" i don't think it would be necessary to create a sibling, from my understanding it would not make sense and as far as permissions i think they work as normal.

I am new to XenForo so please correct me if i am wrong :)

Thank you

Top Bottom