Showcase (Reviews, Guides, Garage, Directory etc)

Showcase (Reviews, Guides, Garage, Directory etc) [Paid] 2.9.0

No permission to buy ($55.00)
That's what I said earlier.

Ah I must have missed it, sorry. It's just that there is so many people/discussions wanting an RM to be a blog, review system and showcase to be an RM etc etc. The whole "can it be is being something else" is a bloated discussion now when I see an add-on should be for what it is, and not making it into something else otherwise you start bringing in mediocrity where an add-on is trying to be a multitude of things instead of being what it's supposed to be. Mainly thinking out loud there more than anything.

Ah I must have missed it, sorry. It's just that there is so many people/discussions wanting an RM to be a blog, review system and showcase to be an RM etc etc. The whole "can it be is being something else" is a bloated discussion now when I see an add-on should be for what it is, and not making it into something else otherwise you start bringing in mediocrity where an add-on is trying to be a multitude of things instead of being what it's supposed to be. Mainly thinking out loud there more than anything.
The purpose of the addon is to showcase stuff. Showcase adapts to what you are showing off. That's the wonderful thing about it and is the reason behind almost everyone asking for extra features in this thread. A lot of our requests and suggestions have been implemented into the addon so far. Just check out his support site for example and you'll see what I mean. Him actually adding our suggestions goes a long way. He's done far more than most Resource Authors have ever done. Because of him going above the call of duty and making this for 'the people', small suggestions such as "let us add attachments" suggestion is nothing compared to some suggestions in previous posts.

The purpose of the addon is to showcase stuff. Showcase adapts to what you are showing off. That's the wonderful thing about it and is the reason behind almost everyone asking for extra features in this thread. A lot of our requests and suggestions have been implemented into the addon so far. Just check out his support site for example and you'll see what I mean. Him actually adding our suggestions goes a long way. He's done far more than most Resource Authors have ever done. Because of him going above the call of duty and making this for 'the people', small suggestions such as "let us add attachments" suggestion is nothing compared to some suggestions in previous posts.

I'm not disputing the suggestions, by all means make them. I've seen that the majority of suggestions have been included but there is a fine line in including everything and anything to make up a feature because product x lacks a feature that showcase has. It's all about the dev, what he is happy with and what he feels is the correct direction to bring this product in. So far, Bob has been flawless in juggling the suggestions and picking which ones are better as features and which ones are not.

All I know is I'm very happy with the direction this product is going, it's already above my expectations so I have full trust in Bob in continuing on his path where he eventually wants to bring this.

Anyhow, Latest update installed and went flawlessy (like always) still need to see what has changed but got a few breakages (which was expected) as they were edits to the sidebar. As always, excellent work Bob. :)

I'm not disputing the suggestions, by all means make them. I've seen that the majority of suggestions have been included but there is a fine line in including everything and anything to make up a feature because product x lacks a feature that showcase has. It's all about the dev, what he is happy with and what he feels is the correct direction to bring this product in. So far, Bob has been flawless in juggling the suggestions and picking which ones are better as features and which ones are not.

All I know is I'm very happy with the direction this product is going, it's already above my expectations so I have full trust in Bob in continuing on his path where he eventually wants to bring this.

Anyhow, Latest update installed and went flawlessy (like always) still need to see what has changed but got a few breakages (which was expected) as they were edits to the sidebar. As always, excellent work Bob. :)
Couldn't agree more. Just because someone can't afford the RM and already has this, doesn't mean that features of the RM needed to be added into the Showcase. The Showcase is a fantastic add-on and also far exceeds my expectations as well. Having also got a beta copy of the RM, that will do what Dre wants, just not allow for tracking of downloads. But, that's an official XF product that other people will be able to extend (just like Chris has already started to do).

Let the showcase be a showcase, it doesn't need turning into a download manager or a 3rd party RM.

You all sound upset about over my suggestion though. It's just attachments. If I needed it that bad I would ask someone to modify showcase to include it.

You all sound upset about over my suggestion though. It's just attachments. If I needed it that bad I would ask someone to modify showcase to include it.

Nobody is upset. You just don't agree and/or like what is being said, I couldn't be happier.

Disagreeing with your suggestion should be something discussed and it's prity darn obvious (I'm going all american) *tips 10 gallon hat* disagreeing with suggested feature really doesn't constitute as being upset. I personally think your suggestion is flawed because your compensating for a feature that shouldn't be in this product because your not purchasing another product. There just isn't any logic in it so here we are, debating, discussing the reasons why each of us think it may be bad, not needed *cough* bloat *cough*.

You have to admit, are arguments against are compelling?

Reactions: Bob
Huh cause why shouldn't it be in it.

Not trying to be an ass Dre but I can think of many reasons

- Showcase is not a downloads system
- Showcase is a display system
- RM is a downloads system

Those are 3 good reasons to not include it imo.

At my site I'm using showcase to display my W.I.P and showing this off to members so they can see what is coming soon and then I'll use the RM for the download where they can download the resource and I'll probably even associate the w.i.p item to the Rm release of that item. My point, each product serves it's purpose and for that to happen it (repeating myself sorry) it needs to be what it was intended to be and be good at what it's intending to be.

Anyhow, that is my debate (plus the previous posts) against but you never know Bob may include it sometime but I can't see myself using such a feature because I'll have an add-on specifically for what I need and want to do. I'll leave it at that but hopefully you can see the merit in what I'm trying to say.

Can we have the option to completely disable the rating part? This can get personal when people just want to show off projects that they have done, for example.

Reactions: MrC
Can we have the option to completely disable the rating part? This can get personal when people just want to show off projects that they have done, for example.
Could you just disable the Rate & Review Items: permission from each usergroup?

Not trying to be an ass Dre but I can think of many reasons

- Showcase is not a downloads system
- Showcase is a display system
- RM is a downloads system

Those are 3 good reasons to not include it imo.

At my site I'm using showcase to display my W.I.P and showing this off to members so they can see what is coming soon and then I'll use the RM for the download where they can download the resource and I'll probably even associate the w.i.p item to the Rm release of that item. My point, each product serves it's purpose and for that to happen it (repeating myself sorry) it needs to be what it was intended to be and be good at what it's intending to be.

Anyhow, that is my debate (plus the previous posts) against but you never know Bob may include it sometime but I can't see myself using such a feature because I'll have an add-on specifically for what I need and want to do. I'll leave it at that but hopefully you can see the merit in what I'm trying to say.
That's where you and everyone else who disagree doesn't make any sense. Blogs, shop and wiki addons aren't a downloads system and you can still upload attachments in them. Think outside the box.

That's where you and everyone else who disagree doesn't make any sense. Blogs, shop and wiki addons aren't a downloads system and you can still upload attachments in them. Think outside the box.

And that tells you something right there. Practically every XF site I visit has showcase installed, not shops, blogs or wiki's.

Hence the name of the addon Showcase that's what it's for to showcase items. I am with Shelley on this one. Each addon serves a specific purpose. The RM is a download manager addon, showcase is a showcase addon, blogs is a blogging addon. They all serve the purpose of what they were designed to do whether that be blogging, showcasing, and allowing downloads.

Top Bottom