Show us your Footer

webbouk

I've been working on the footer block for our forum and think I'm happy with it now...

Desktop and Tablet:
1613888022465.webp

Mobiles (less than 550px width):
1613888144824.webp

Show us your footer .....

Considering the rest of my forums are heavily modified, the footer is relatively basic at the moment..

Desktop and Tablet:
1613894467944.png

Mobile:
1613894589084.webp

The Mobile view renders slightly different on an actual mobile (everything beyond the Umbrella logo shifts to the next line on my phone), but it gives you an idea of how everything is aligned to the left instead of their desktop alignments.

Splash page footer:

SzDlkeJ.png

The footer of the theme I use:

3tSTUqv.png

👽

Damn. You guys and gals have so pretty forums. I'm so jealous of you designs. Meanwhile I can't afford UIX and have to make the most of the vanilla XenForo with my very limited coding skills ie. following "Coding For Dummies" tutorials.

I'm using a common footer on multiple sites (here's the add-on). I'm not sure about including the social network links like Twitter, still thinking about that one. You guys have made me think of something though; even though I'm using branding free XF everywhere I'm now thinking that maybe I should have a content copyright notice to our DBA.

Wide
1637715197745.webp

Medium
1637715272157.webp

Narrow
1637715312548.webp

Are there footer settings somewhere in XF or are you guys mostly editing templates? I'm inspired to finally clean up my sites footer after seeing this thread. :love:

Are there footer settings somewhere in XF or are you guys mostly editing templates? I'm inspired to finally clean up my sites footer after seeing this thread. :love:
There's some footer settings in Style Properties (exactly what depends on what style you use, mine is based on Flat Awesome+ from PixelExit and there's quite a few Footer settings) and then there's editing the templates if that's not enough.

Mine is kind of boring, actually. The disclaimer about not being affiliated with any faith organization is because the original board we replaced was run by the United Church of Canada and we decided from the get go to minimize that affiliation in the new site, though many of the regulars are United Church members or ministers.

1637767748604.png

Last edited:
You guys have made me think of something though; even though I'm using branding free XF everywhere I'm now thinking that maybe I should have a content copyright notice to our DBA.
I completely forgot about the extra_copyright phrase! If you modify that phrase then it'll appear at the bottom of page with the stock XF copyright. If you have a branding free XF license then the XF stock copyright is not displayed but the extra_copyright is still displayed as expected. 👍

Out of the box, stock XF has style properties exposed for the footer elements in styles but there aren't any options in regards to creating an expanded footer. The add-on that I linked to above (this one) is what I'm using. Some themes, particularly those that use a framework like Themehouse's UI.X based designs and the PixelExit's designs, have footer management tools built into them like Mandella shows. For themes using the stock footer template then the add-on I linked makes it easy to get an expanded footer. Of course the template can still be modified manually as well. No matter what approach is taken, it's just important to make sure that the XF copyright is still included (especially if somebody is modifying the template manually, it's easy to forget to include the needed conditional).

To add your own content copyright notice

Go to ACP > Appearances > Phrases > extra_copyright ....and add the following:
Code:
<br>

Content © Your forum or company name, enter year it started-<script type="text/javascript">

var today = new Date()

var year = today.getFullYear()

document.write(year)

</script>, all rights reserved

And you'll get a self updating copyright notice like:

1637791771341.png

even though I'm using branding free XF everywhere I'm now thinking that maybe I should have a content copyright notice to our DBA
I always wonder about this. Even though we all put our own copyright on our sites, why do we? My site is about a type of car from Toyota. What am I copyrighting?

Visitors might not care but it's aim is to try to prevent plagiarism where someone might otherwise copy sections of your forum posts and try to pass them off as their own work elsewhere.
We had it happen several years ago, before switching to XF though it wouldn't have made a difference, and a writer for a large magazine literally copied an idea that someone had posted, complete with photos, and passed it off as his own work over a two page spread, virtually word for word.
Had the notice not been in place at the time it could have been a free-for-all and many other articles could also have been plagiarised. As it turned out we did get a written acknowledgement for the article in a later edition, the original author was recompensed for his work, and life carried on.

Top Bottom