1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Show ban reason to users

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by dehness, Jul 20, 2015.

1. dehness

dehness Active Member

Is there any way to show the ban reason to members in 1.1? I have tried numerous permissions configurations but I always seem to get an 'ERROR 403 - Forbidden!' when I test it with a banned account...

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This sounds more like an issue with the server configuration blocking the actual output from the page. (Though I'd note that 1.1 isn't really a version we could provide detailed support for any longer.)

3. dehness

dehness Active Member

Thanks @Mike I have since updated the forum to 1.4.10.

The error still occurs for basically anything a user doesn't have permission to see, rather than getting a forum message, they get a 403 forbidden message.

We run nginx. Is there some way to change this?

4. Mike

5. dehness

dehness Active Member

Hi @Mike,

Looking through our configuration files, I seem to have identified the one with the problem.

However, switching the fastcgi_intercept_errors value to 'off' has failed to remedy the issue.

I have attached the file (hopefully editing out any sensitive information such as IPs/URLs). Is there another value that you can see that I need to change to remedy this problem?

Warm regards.

6. Mike

Are you sure you've reloaded your configuration? You can remove all the error_page related code which would be the other part of the cause.

dehness likes this.
  7. dehness

dehness Active Member

Woohoo. That was the issue, all I had to do was restart nginx. Thanks @Mike. This was a long standing problem. :D