Should Profile Posts Contribute to Message Count?

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
When we started out here, posts to peoples' profiles contributed to members' overall post count and the total number of messages posted to the system as shown on the forum home page, but this was changed some time ago because of a perceived 'lower value' of profile posts.

Do you agree with this change, or do you think that profile posts should carry the same weight (ie: message count + 1) as messages in a thread?

I would suggest no as profile posts are going to be irrelevant to the forum in most cases. Forum content is also likely to be monitored by more people so there are more eyes on potential spam.

But then, I never understood the importance of having more post numbers connected to your account! Of course, it becomes relevant on forums where users get more powers with a higher post count. So, these are likely to be misused.

A question that comes to my mind here... What are the measures in place to prevent spamming on profile posts. Report feature is very important (just like on Facebook). Are moderators able to ban/suspend user accounts from profile pages?

When we started out here, posts to peoples' profiles contributed to members' overall post count and the total number of messages posted to the system as shown on the forum home page, but this was changed some time ago because of a perceived 'lower value' of profile posts.
The forum list count reflects (and reflected) the number of posts in the forums. Given the context of the number, I don't think that should change.

I tend to agree with the change. A possible argument for it could be that some might spam their profile just to boost their post count (since it's still seen as a status symbol by some, don't ask me why).

No it should not count as some of us might choose to appoint moderators based on post counts and if there's one annoying guy who only likes to chat around in private, but never contributes to the forum, gets appointed as Mod then the community will be up in flames ..

But Likes should count for sure...

Strong decision to make!

I think if a forum msg, a profile msg, a gallery msg and a blog msg all counts towards a user their total msg count, and therefor the forums total msg count - that THAT sounds logical.

I think the decision has to be made what is considered a "msg" by a user.

Despite that everybody voted no, I did vote for yes. Because I feel that contributions of any sort are a contribution. A forum solution no longer is just a forum solution. People want a blog, a cms, etc, and the social aspect. Participation is key, and getting users to participate is a value to getting momentum. Just dropping msgs to a discussion might seem as a lower value, but I do believe it is a value. I reward users with karma points on my site for example, for bothering to review someone's post, to befriend them and to leave comments on a profile. I wish those comments were counted. It's up to the owner of that social profile to consider the comment worthy of being there or not with moderating tools. Useless stuff can simply be removed if undervalued.

I guess I am the only one voting yes :D

If this goes to no, I would REALLY like to see a clear distinction on the frontpage and profiles vs the realistic counting of content.

This community has 50 msgs, 40 are thread and posts, 10 are blog and comments.
This user has 10 msgs, 5 are posts, 3 are blogs and 2 are comments.

If comments to blogs / profiles / etc aren't counted, why bother counting them for thread replies?

Thinking about the future, we don't want to know there are 50,000 messages on this post (threads, posts, blogs, and cms (entries and comments). But no gallery comments, and no profile comments ....

It has to be consistent, in my book.

Top Bottom