Should Profile Posts Contribute to Message Count?

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
When we started out here, posts to peoples' profiles contributed to members' overall post count and the total number of messages posted to the system as shown on the forum home page, but this was changed some time ago because of a perceived 'lower value' of profile posts.

Do you agree with this change, or do you think that profile posts should carry the same weight (ie: message count + 1) as messages in a thread?

That's not quite what we're talking about - I'm referring to how many posts on member profiles some one has posted, not how many they have received.

Assuming they're not just chattering away to themselves without being replied to, wouldn't both the poster and the postee rack up their post numbers? But it's not something I feel all that strongly about, so ... I'm just sayin' :)

True.
But it makes quite a difference if an insult is posted in a popular thread in a popular forum or if the same insult is posted on a profile page. And how many moderators do you need to visit profiles when you 50,000 users???
Replace the insult for something more serious. Like sexual harassment, illegal trade, or other very sensitive things. I don't want such things going on, on profiles.

I have 80.000 members and we moderate all profile messages in vbulletin. If there would be a 'new profile messages' function, similar to 'new posts', then we would not use the moderation queue, but we would check the new profile messages stream.

Like the 'everyones newsfeeds'?
Without the likes, replies, etc. Only profile messages.

Everyones newsfeeds is confusing as it is listing every thread reply once, instead of just listing threads once. Even multiple replies by the same person to the same thread are listed separately.

Imagine the feed for 80.000 members. There's no way to keep track of that monster.

Well yes, I definitely see your point. But from what I can tell the activity stream exists and could possibly be filtered with a modification.
Good point. Would love a 'new content' function though, so that staff can just click that and review all new threads and profile messages. But for that it needs to have some overview and should be easy to browse.

IMO the 'what's new' function should include new profile messages. (profile messages to the users profile or if a staff member is browsing, then all new profile messages should be included)

I voted no. I don't think it's relevant in terms of a community to count profile messages/posts as part of your post count.

For example, if I see a post by someone, and I click on their name and go to "view all posts by this user", I don't want the messages they posted to someone's profile (or their own) to show up. If you want to search for profile messages by that same user, that's fine, but it's something that should be kept separate IMO.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel for the sake of reinventing it. In a similar vain: just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean you need to do it differently. Some things are best a certain way.

Top Bottom