Should Profile Posts Contribute to Message Count?

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
When we started out here, posts to peoples' profiles contributed to members' overall post count and the total number of messages posted to the system as shown on the forum home page, but this was changed some time ago because of a perceived 'lower value' of profile posts.

Do you agree with this change, or do you think that profile posts should carry the same weight (ie: message count + 1) as messages in a thread?

As most forums don't moderator spam and pointless posts in profiles (unless a user complains to an admin about a certain user), I think they shouldn't add to the counter. If they did, people would use it as a way of increasing their post count and annoy other forum members by posting constantly on their profiles.

It might also shift useful content away to a user's profile instead of being on the main forums.

A part of me would say yes, as that will increase -in some way- the communication between users and encourage them to post in each other profile. But I'd go with what Lawrence said:
They should be kept separate, IMO, but profile messages total should be displayed in the members card as well. I would like to see a total in the stats block for messages, but broken down to display forum and profile.

Not only for profile posts, but also for blogs, gallery, etc... (of course when they -finally- get added to XF).

I think something like the following in the "member card" and the "profile page" should work:
Total posts: xxxx.
Forum posts: xxxx.
Profile posts: xxx.
Blog posts: xx.
Gallery posts: xx

Just my 2 cents.

As most forums don't moderator spam and pointless posts in profiles (unless a user complains to an admin about a certain user), I think they shouldn't add to the counter. If they did, people would use it as a way of increasing their post count and annoy other forum members by posting constantly on their profiles.

It might also shift useful content away to a user's profile instead of being on the main forums.
Over 50% of the forums I help start up, manage, administrate or moderate on, they have as a policy for the mods to also keep a strict eye on the profile and album/group comments. So our stats are clashing, I think. I have a different experience.

100% agree with this.

If you could find a more generic term than messages to cover profile posts, comments, posts, etc. then I'm all for it. Create a global term to cover them all, display that in the total count. When it's clicked, display a pop-up with a breakdown.
Total Posts:
Profile Posts:
Profile Comments:
etc.

Over 50% of the forums I help start up, manage, administrate or moderate on, they have as a policy for the mods to also keep a strict eye on the profile and album/group comments. So our stats are clashing, I think. I have a different experience.
Yes however it is far harder to keep a strict eye on hundreds/thousands of member profiles which a user could spam to up his count quickly. On a new board this problem is much simpler to monitor for obvious reasons.

Profile messages are similar to a private message in my opinion. I understand the comment by Floris but my perception of a profile message has always been that of a communication between two people only public as opposed to a private one such as a PM.

All other contributions relate to a post that is intended for a broader audience, that of the community and its guests.

I would have to vote No.

When we started out here, posts to peoples' profiles contributed to members' overall post count and the total number of messages posted to the system as shown on the forum home page, but this was changed some time ago because of a perceived 'lower value' of profile posts.

Do you agree with this change, or do you think that profile posts should carry the same weight (ie: message count + 1) as messages in a thread?
i believe profile comments should count. ive always tried to maximise the use of the profile page, and having the posts 'count' would make it less of an uphill battle.

I shudder at the very thought of having my moderators keeping an eye on 50,000 or 100,000 profiles....

The mods moderate where reasonable, and when they have the extra time. And keep an eye on reported content, as well as who's new, who's online and all that. it's all one community, content = content.

True.
But it makes quite a difference if an insult is posted in a popular thread in a popular forum or if the same insult is posted on a profile page. And how many moderators do you need to visit profiles when you 50,000 users???

I don't think they should count towards your total message counter because it is not only far easier to post a message on someone's profile than a post but also I can see it being abused a lot - users tend to want to up their post count a lot and they'd go to post "Hi David" or "Hi Harry" on someone's profile whenever possible I think.

that has been the reason why i am asking for report functionality on profile posts and comments! a user can clean the spam on his profile page. but if he reports, the mods can clean up the mess left by that person everywhere!

its almost like 'post count' is a virtue with 98% of us.
the almighty post count must not be gamed!

maybe 'post count' should be replaced with a better phrase anyway.
..oh, look. it has. 'message count'

I'd say no by default. Maybe for those that like this functionality an admin option can turn it on, similarly to an option to count posts made in a specific forum towards someone's post count.

Profile messages are similar to a private message in my opinion. I understand the comment by Floris but my perception of a profile message has always been that of a communication between two people only public as opposed to a private one such as a PM.

All other contributions relate to a post that is intended for a broader audience, that of the community and its guests.

I would have to vote No.
I agree with this.

Profile comments, Personal conversations, etc really are not in the same league as publicly made posts.

Personally I like things simple. An 1 count which is only for the posts made seems simple to me.

Generally I find the post count most relevant for finding previously posted content, which generally does not disappear too often, the profile comments could easily be deleted far more often.

Top Bottom