1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

short file names (t.php instead of showthread.php)

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by ooo, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ooo

ooo Member

may be it make direct urls (without rewrite) nicer if main files will be short

/u.php?id=522 instead of /user.php?id=522
    /u.php?522 instead of /user.php?522

/t.php?t=463 instead of /thread.php?t=463
    /t.php?463 instead of /thread.php?463

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Those files don't even exist. It's a completely different approach.
  3. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

My internet connection is 4 Mbps/768kbps DSL.
    My monitor is a 24" LCD running at 1920 x 1080 HD.
    My computer has a dual core 2.4GHz processor and 2 terabytes of hard drives attached.

Why is t.php better than showthread.php.

Are floppies coming back into vogue?
  4. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

I agree with feldon30.

Whether it's better for performance reasons or not, showthread.php looks more appealing than t.php.

Mind you this is a inutile point as Mike has said that the system doesn't work that way.
  5. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

xenForo uses a MVC approach so the only thing we can even assume to expect to see is MemberController.php
  6. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

News to me :rolleyes:
    CyberAP likes this.
  7. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I knew something like this was going to happen so that's why i said "assume" and not outright say xenForo uses MemberController.php :D
  8. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

I think in most MVC distributions I've seen, the controller name is the rewritten "directory" name, such as "threads", but it probably doesn't matter for this thread context.
  9. Floris

Floris Guest

The only benefit here is a shorter link to share with others.

First one is more likely to get trimmed or goes through "force space after 80 characters" filter, etc.

Which is why I am kinda hoping we potentially see support for shortning services ;)

Example: This thread

The latter being great for linking, social services, etc. And just fine as a permalink on a board.
    Andrew, g0rn and CallieJo like this.
  10. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

Right, but how does that affect SEO? Seems like the effect could be considerably adverse, since the microlink would be utterly undescriptive as to content.
  11. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

The Microlink would auto 301 redirect to the correct content so the final destination would have the descriptive content etc.
  12. Floris

Floris Guest

It would do nothing. It's just for ease of use, convenience. SEO won't matter, as the original long url is the result of the 301 redirect, and has the canonical url in the header.
    HydraulicJack likes this.
  13. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

Could you send me a link to something explaining more in depth what you are talking about here. Possibly a post if you have made one already. Sounds interesting and it created a possibility in my head and would like to read more to see if what I'm thinking of is actually possible to do.
  14. Floris

Floris Guest

Right click the page here, view source. From there you can find this:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://xenforo.com/community/threads/short-file-names-t-php-instead-of-showthread-php.3477/" />

Any change in the url, such as changing from:

Will all 301 perm-redirect back to the original source.

The original source has canonical url link in the header of the page.

Telling the browser, the user browsing it, and the search engines, that it is the original source, and that while a shortning url might be popular (imagine 500,000 times linked). It won't be counted as dupe content, as the source is 301 perm redirected to the canonical url.

Ergo, has no effect on SEO.
    EQnoble likes this.
  15. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

16. Floris

Floris Guest

It only supports the threadid, not the additional info.
  17. ismael33

ismael33 Member

18. Floris

Floris Guest

Nah, I prefer to identify what the title is about.
  19. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

hah. for a moment i thought that xenforo.com/3477/ worked as mentioned above. then realized that the domain was xenfo.ro
  20. Floris

Floris Guest

Can't get much shorter than that with their domain name :p