[ShikiSuen] CSCN Anniversary theme (Free Standalone Version)

[ShikiSuen] CSCN Anniversary theme (Free Standalone Version) 2.2.13a

No permission to download
Downloaded and tried it on my dev. I like the look, though I don't think I would use it for my current board. Too radical a change from current, though I might tinker a bit. Definitely might use it as a parent if I was restyling or starting a new board. There might be a glitch with Xenporta but a custom style on an add-on is where I would expect glitches and I have not really tinkered to see what might be the cause. Took me a couple minutes to find Admin and Approvals but I actually like what you did with them, just not obvious where they are at first.

Downloaded and tried it on my dev. I like the look, though I don't think I would use it for my current board. Too radical a change from current, though I might tinker a bit. Definitely might use it as a parent if I was restyling or starting a new board. There might be a glitch with Xenporta but a custom style on an add-on is where I would expect glitches and I have not really tinkered to see what might be the cause. Took me a couple minutes to find Admin and Approvals but I actually like what you did with them, just not obvious where they are at first.
I tried to minimize the modification of the HTML structure. Most of stylistic changes are done through CSS3 (LESS).
You can try with those mods as you wish.

(I don't like the default mod-admin bar at the top of the webpage which brings aesthetic disunities between what users can see and what admin / mods can see at the front.)

Hello ShikiSuen, have look, it is better now.
Could you please do me one more favor?

Edit the "cscn_theme_customize_postbit.less" to make sure that "padding-left: 10px;" is inserted in the ".contentRow-main" block (started at line 17) right before the line of ".message-articleUserAbout"?

After your modification, the template should look like this:

1608533416294.png

=== REASON ===
The user intel at the 1st floor of article view has too much padding-left (20px overwritten by recent XenForo updates) which is not what I designed here, initially. 10px is enough.

1608533868306.webp

Last edited:
ShikiSuen updated [ShikiSuen] CSCN Anniversary theme (Free Standalone Version) with a new update entry:

Beta 19 maintenance update for XenForo 2.2.2

Beta 19 is still for XenForo 2.2.2 but comes with 3 fixes.

1) User information in normal postbit, if having over 5 items to display, automatically starts a new column to the left to display the 6th-10th item. After that, another new column for 11th-15th item. The problem is that I forgot to leave a horizontal gap for these columns. Now I give a 12px horizontal gap between these columns by patching "cscn_theme_customize_postbit.less" template.

2) User information in an article postbit (the 1st floor of an article thread) was supposed to have a 10px padding to its left. However, for some reasons, current default template defines it to 20px (which is way too much). I patched the "cscn_theme_customize_postbit.less" to make sure it overrides the XenForo default parameter.

3) Threadlist in a wiget embedded in a page (which data-template is "page_view") failed to get rendered correctly due to not being whitelisted in template "cscn_theme_customize_threadbit.less"

I also need to point out that this style (at least since beta 16) does not utilize "extra.less" because I don't want to mess up with users' self-edits. Nevertheless, "extra.less" gets compiled in the final step, and all user edits towards that template are out of my responsibility perimeter.

ShikiSuen updated [ShikiSuen] CSCN Anniversary theme (Free Standalone Version) with a new update entry:

Beta 20 compatibility update (still XF 2.2.2)

This update removes a modification introduced in early Beta builds (prior to the availability of this style in this XenForo official forum). I wrote that definition when I was trying to compensate with something in XF 2.1 default template, but it looks like a wrong approach.

By removing this modification (actually, I commented it out using "//"), it solves compatibility issues with certain aftermarket addons.

I simply commented out the 104th line of "cscn_theme_customize.less":
[ATTACH...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hello
I used this style for my vbulletin (Japanese version) before.
I will give a try for my xenforo board (Japanese version).
This style is good for Chinese and Japanese languages.
Thank you!

Hello
I used this style for my vbulletin (Japanese version) before.
I will give a try for my xenforo board (Japanese version).
This style is good for Chinese and Japanese languages.
Thank you!
Greetings. Thanks you for using this theme.

The vbulletin 3.8 & 3.9 version of this style has already been deprecated. Only the XenForo 2.2 version is being maintained at this time.

(Would you please share me your XenForo board URL?)

Last edited:
I was meant to find my time recently to upgrade this theme for XF 2.2.3 update.
However, MySQL doesn't work on my current Big Sur system freshly-recovered from TimeMachine backup.
(TimeMachine doesn't backup MySQL data, and this is completely out of my expectation.)

Reinstalling MySQL won't work (whatever installer I use, incl. homebrew).
MySQL auto stops everytime I clicked on starting the server.
Looks like I have to use a VM to build a local XenForo style dev environment.

I'm busy relocating my residence back to Mainland China this month, hence reduced available time for maintaining this style.
Unless serious bug reported, it is hard for me to give an immediate update of this style for XF 2.2.4 update in this month.

Beta 22 for XenForo 2.2.4

1) Synchronizing changes made to the default templates between XF 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 update.
2) The login-to-reply button in the thread view now supports text-wrap (as what the default template behaves in current XF 2.2.4).

Users who are using Beta 21 can simply merge the style after upgrading their XF from 2.2.3 to 2.2.4 without worrying anything exceptional.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Announcing some new features of the incoming CSCN Theme β23:
  1. Changed the user banner margin methods in messages (postbits) to make sure they won't look too condensed.
  2. Removed the default gradient html background to reduce browser rendering workloads. The new grey html background also makes the theme look more professional and static in appearance, calming the visitors down. // The previous CSCN theme for vBulletin 3.0.x was using grey HTML background color but is slightly lighter than my current choice.
  3. Strengthened block border shadow and weakened page container border shadow.
  4. Partial compatibility tweaks with ThemeHouse Nodes plugin. Now ThemeHouse Nodes (if having background & background image set) won't be effective in CSCN theme (previously looks terrible before β23) since this release until you manually modify the LESS template related to this addon. Hire someone who is familiar with LESS coding to make it fit your taste.
  5. Footer branding view option is now available in the Footer Properties as a single checkbox. // I am seeking a method to make sure the year info in the branding automatically updates according to the current year info.
  6. For websites hosted in Mainland China or using CDN nodes in China, a website must be ICP registered and have its ICP number shown at the bottom of the homepage. Since β23, CSCN theme now added a new style property in the Basic Options to allow you add ICP text like "■ICP■114514■" with a hyperlink to https://beian.miit.gov.cn/. If you don't want this being shown, please manually clear this value.
$ EOF.

Last edited:

Beta 23 for XenForo 2.2.5 (with support of XFES)

CSCN Anniversary Theme β23 update for XenForo 2.2.5:
  1. Changed the user banner margin methods in messages (postbits) to make sure they won't look too condensed.
  2. Removed the default circle-gradient html background to reduce browser rendering workloads. The new linear-gradient html background also makes the theme look more professional and static in appearance, calming the visitors down. // The previous CSCN theme for vBulletin 3.0.x was using grey HTML background color.
  3. Strengthened block border shadow and weakened page container border shadow to improve eye comfortability on low-cost desktop monitors and laptop displays.
  4. Partial compatibility tweaks with ThemeHouse Nodes plugin. Now ThemeHouse Nodes (if having background & background image set) won't be effective in CSCN theme (previously looks terrible before β23) since this release until you manually modify the LESS template related to this addon. Hire someone who is familiar with LESS coding to make it fit your taste.
  5. Footer branding view option is now available in the Footer Properties as a single checkbox. The year info in the branding automatically updates according to the current year info.
  6. Cellphones are allowed to see subnodes (right beneath node description). Note that CSCN theme is not going to be optimized for sub-node enumerations in dropdown menu style.
  7. Elements introduced by XFES Suggested Threads are correctly CSS-formatted now in both Suggested Threads table and the Thread Title Suggestions.
  8. Some minor tweaks towards PAGE_CONTAINER template to solve compatibility issues with my addon "[CSCN] Moving Staff Tools to Nav Group". The solution is to add data-style="CSCN-Anniversary" to those elements dealt by this addon. Now this addon won't hook to this style, hence no duplicated AdminCP entry icons.
  9. Additional changes towards the default style settings: Avatar radius is now defined as 5% to cope with the aesthetics of this style. So is the default font from Inter to Tahoma. Reason: Tahoma is the default UI font used by vBulletin 3.x and it really looks good. (Let's forget about its super-wide variation "Verdana" as it has reduced readability and looks bad on macOS.)
  10. Add a new choice to allow users to decide whether they want to put Sidebar to the left side in pages which data-template begins with: forum_view, forum_list, page_view, thread_view, whats_new, report_, watched_threads_list. The related style options are in the "Page Setup" section.1623863857462.png
  11. In the "Reactions" page of the account settings, the name of the first category has been fixed from white to black.
To mention: I have no budgets to buy XF Media Gallery (XFMG) and XF Resource Manager (XFRM), hence the lack of compatibility tests between this style and these two official XenForo addons. I know that some of my friends bought them, but I cannot abuse their copies to do this. I wish to do this on XF demo site, but its access speed from Mainland China is extremely exhausting... averagely over 20 seconds per each page load / ajax click event. If there's no access speed problem, I would like to see that XF official demo sites can have some demo contents for XFMG and XFRM.

Regarding ICP Beian, please use: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/icp-beian.8356/

$ EOF.

Last edited:
I like your style. Hard to get some add-ons to work with it but overall I like the linear look to it. Can you tell me how to exchange the icons for text with node stats and remove the extra text in block header? I did look but cannot find.

Thank you

I like your style. Hard to get some add-ons to work with it but overall I like the linear look to it. Can you tell me how to exchange the icons for text with node stats and remove the extra text in block header? I did look but cannot find.

Thank you
By clearing the contents of the template "cscn_forum_icons.less" you revert the node icons back to XF default.
1623916140546.webp

Top Bottom