Servers in Europe?

Divinum Fiat

Does anyone know of a great hosting company in Europe? I'm in Switzerland and my hosting company is located in the U.S. Sadly I need to move my server away from the U.S. at some point.

Any recommendations?

http://www.hosteurope.de/ (Cologne, Germany)

I am a very happy with their Linux vServer and customer support (free phone and mail support), which is much better than 1and1 or Strato. It's been six years in January and I never had a problem with one of their services.

Thanks everyone! Here in Europe they seem to have something called 'dedicated servers' and 'virtual servers'. I thought they were one and the same. ;)

Will check with my attorney about the exact location again. Did you know that your virtual business is considered where your server is? I didn't know that, hence my wanting to get my 'business' out of the sue-happy U.S. :p

Thanks everyone! Here in Europe they seem to have something called 'dedicated servers' and 'virtual servers'. I thought they were one and the same. ;)

Will check with my attorney about the exact location again. Did you know that your virtual business is considered where your server is? I didn't know that, hence my wanting to get my 'business' out of the sue-happy U.S. :p

Thats wrong?

If you are runing a business, it is based where you have your business address registered to.

I have a e-commerce shop on a US server, but my registered business sure as hell ain't in the US.

Thats wrong?

If you are runing a business, it is based where you have your business address registered to.

I have a e-commerce shop on a US server, but my registered business sure as hell ain't in the US.

Sadly that's what I thought. I've been teaching 'how to start businesses' in the U.S. for the past 5 years and was in HR and Risk Management before (Silicon Valley technology start-ups). Legalese is my second language. I now moved to Switzerland and met with an attorney in Zug to set up my GmbH. This point came up because I live in Switzerland and my GmbH is in Switzerland but the 90% of my forum clients are from the U.S., the rest from other countries but essentially no one from Switzerland. My whole purpose for the GmbH is to be protected against sue-happy American attorneys. He said that U.S. attorneys will always claim that the business is indeed where the server is because that is where the heart of your operation is. They tend to ignore the fact that you have a registered GmbH outside of the U.S., they'll just sue you in both countries. When I asked him what the chances are of them winning he said that they have a good chance of winning if the server is indeed in the U.S..

In either case, Slavik, who wants attorney bills? I'd rather think ahead and do this right. ;)

they will sue you anyway, once you target US customers...... no matter where you are incorporated or where your server is located.

they will sue you anyway, once you target US customers...... no matter where you are incorporated or where your server is located.

True, Erich, but the chances of winning based on statistics is zero according to my attorney here. I'd rather discourage them beforehand and not give them any reasons. Come to think of it, I don't target the U.S., it's a world community, it just happens that so far 90% of members are from the U.S.

Check out nimbushosting.co.uk. We host with them, and they have excellent support and up time.
mmm I can´t understand the difference bewteen Premium Cloud (VM) and Entry Level Cloud (VPS)

for example, Typhoon has
2GB Memory
30GB Disk Space
300GB Bandwidth Transfer

and Stratus has
2GB Memory
50GB Disk Space
400GB Bandwidth Transfer

Are they VPS? Are you sure they have that hardware capacity for each account?

mmm I can´t understand the difference bewteen Premium Cloud (VM) and Entry Level Cloud (VPS)

for example, Typhoon has
2GB Memory
30GB Disk Space
300GB Bandwidth Transfer

and Stratus has
2GB Memory
50GB Disk Space
400GB Bandwidth Transfer

Are they VPS? Are you sure they have that hardware capacity for each account?

If I understood correctly, both are VPS, yes.Probably run on similar hardware, but the entry level VPS (VPS) have about 25 accounts on them, whereas the Premium (VM) have only 15:

VPS:
Great for low traffic web sites and email hosting. Physical to virtual ratio of 25:1. Free setup on all accounts.

EM:
Great for single high traffic or database intensive web sites. Email hosting with over 20 mailboxes and large attachments. This is due to the better physical to virtual ratio of 15:1, giving your server a higher percentage of the processor and network interface. Free setup on all accounts.

We're on Hurricane, which is supposed to show give us:

• 3GB Memory
  • 50GB Disk Space
  • 500GB Bandwidth Transfer
  • Plesk 100 Domain License
    or Windows Server 2003/8
I have to go by the data and metrics shown in Plesk, but all of that seems to be matching what is offered. And so far we have had little to no downtime.

http://www.site5.com/vps/normal/
Choose your location, choose your bits, check the price, go!
Live Chat if and when things go weird, generally they respond and fix within 5-15 mins tops :)
Thanks to Site5 Tech for solving my immense cock up earlier today ( I screwed a redirect) :eek:

Top Bottom