Curious about which files are necessary when changing servers...

Jwrbloom

I'm changing servers to host my site, and I'm migrating all the data and files. Maybe there is a more efficient way to do this, but I'm downloading from Server A to my desktop then uploading to Server B.

It's taking a RIDICULOUS amount of time for the Xenforo files to migrate. Mostly files in the data/attachments and internal_data/attachments folders.

I have a small but active community. They post a lot of media. Outside of a couple of topics, I doubt they would miss anything if those didn't make the change. The database will be copied over, and I have done this before, but at a time when the forum was much smaller--three years ago. If I gut those folders, is it going to affect the functionality of my forum?

Correct.

The internal_data directory is original attachments.

The data directory is thumbnails and avatars.

FTP would be very slow for this kind of migration. Rclone would be pretty fast. Best would be to just compress the folder on the old server, move it to new server and uncompress.

Files and data migrated over. Longer than normal DNS caching issue, but it looks like I'm TTL on the forum. However, I'm getting these errors after a post is made:

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.12.51 AM.png

It's still having posts go through though. That's just pops up.

Do we think it's still a caching issue?

Hmmm...I truncated the xf_search_index, and it solved THAT problem. Not sure what was in there to begin with, or if I created another problem. o_O

You will need to rebuild the search index in the ACP after truncating the table.

FTP would be very slow for this kind of migration. Rclone would be pretty fast. Best would be to just compress the folder on the old server, move it to new server and uncompress.

I use a few basic command-line steps to archive everything, move the archive over to the new server, and then extract - which has served me well for many years - but would like to learn more about Rclone. I found rclone.org, but is there a particular reference that you would recommend?

Top Bottom