1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Server Error During User Import

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by taylor_smith, Feb 26, 2012.

1. taylor_smith

taylor_smith Well-Known Member

Hello. I'm importing a lot of users (160,000). Once I hit 100% and begin to enter the finalization process, I receive this error:

HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.
    In the error log, I do see this:

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=#646464]Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Exception:[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=13px][FONT=Trebuchet MS] Unable to Connect to tcp://www.gravatar.com:80. Error #115: Operation now in progress - [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=13px][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=#646464]library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235

However, I am skeptical, because I can clearly reach the gravatar site. I'm concerned that I will need to empty the database and start over, but uncheck user gravatars.

Any insight from you techi gods?
  2. taylor_smith

It's not the gravatars. I did a clean install and did not select gravatars, but as soon as I hit 100% users imported, I experienced the same error:

[SIZE=6][B][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000]Server error[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=13px][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000]The website encountered an error while retrieving [B]http://community.stratics.com/admin.php?import/import[/B]. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=13px][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=5][B]Here are some suggestions:[/B][/SIZE]
    [*][URL='http://community.stratics.com/admin.php?import/import'][COLOR=#551a8b]Reload[/COLOR][/URL] this webpage later.
    [SIZE=13px][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#777777]HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    No clue what to do to fix it.
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

HTTP 500 is a generic server error. Hopefully the server logs will contain more information. If not the gravatars during the second run then what do the logs show?
  4. taylor_smith

That's the weird thing. All error logs are empty. XF error logs, server error logs, ngix error logs, php error logs are all empty.
  5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

An undiagnosed 500 error is a pita. Time for guessing...

This might be caused by incorrect file / folder permissions. Where user records are concerned, you should check the permissions on data and internal_data. If you have shell access then try running these commands to recursively set permissions in those directories:

chmod -R 777 data
    chmod -R 777 internal_data
    You might also try 755 permissions. Depending on how PHP is installed, 755 may still be writable. I have seen some server configurations throw errors with 777.

You should also contact your web host to see if they can diagnose the error.
  6. taylor_smith

Thank you for this! Will try!
  7. taylor_smith

Fixed. It was memory. Even after bumping it to 2 gigs, it was still extremely slow and timing out occasionally. Crazy.