XF 1.4 Server, Busy Error / No Data Received Error?

I keep getting these server errors as well as no data received errors (On Google Chrome). I've talked to my host and they said that it could be an add-on pushing up on CPU data. Could it also have something to do with the recent SQL user table backup I've uploaded? @Jake Bunce

Thanks!

What server error specifically?

No data received errors would indicate PHP is crashing (or getting the process killed). These are certainly things on your host's end as there's no way this should be happening with any regularity, especially for "basic" page views.

These types of errors on Safari:

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 10.33.02 PM.webp

And these on Chrome:

no-data-received.webp

So I was looking through my hosting CPanel and I found information on CPU and Concurrent Usage. I've noticed that everytime this error pops up, and the page is un-loadable, that the CPU reaches its max and the chart showing the usage peaks. I was told by my host that it could be an addon causing this issue or an overall increase of site guests? I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate or not, but that's what I was told.

What server error specifically?

No data received errors would indicate PHP is crashing (or getting the process killed).
So, is there a way to fix this? I was told that if I were to upgrade my CPU, this doubles bandwidth, memory etc. but I've only recently started seeing these problems when one of my administrators decided to deface my site by deleting all of the existing members, I then uploaded a backup of my SQL user tables, and then I've gotten errors that led to me not being able to promote a user as an administrator or moderator. @Jake Bunce would know about this. Other than that, I've had no other problems really. So could that play a factor in these errors?

1) I don't recommend restoring individual tables to your XF database. It is best to restore the entire database. With respect to users, these are the relevant tables:

xf_user
xf_user_authenticate
xf_user_option
xf_user_privacy
xf_user_profile

If you restore one and not the others then your user data will be out of sync which will cause weird problems.

2) What kind of server? Shared? Virtual? Cloud? Dedicated? Shared and virtual servers can suffer from low system resources which can contribute to a problem like this.

3) Can you provide more information about this rogue admin? Do you know if he had FTP or shell access to the server? Or was it just admin access to the forum?

This is still an investigative process. Ideally your host can identify some specific process that is consuming the CPU.

1) I don't recommend restoring individual tables to your XF database. It is best to restore the entire database. With respect to users, these are the relevant tables:

xf_user
xf_user_authenticate
xf_user_option
xf_user_privacy
xf_user_profile

If you restore one and not the others then your user data will be out of sync which will cause weird problems.
Okay so I've uploaded xf_user only, I would then need to upload the rest correct? xf_user-authenticate, xf_user_option..etc. So I will indeed do that because before you mentioned this to me, I only thought of xf_user table. So yes, I will make sure I upload the rest as well.
2) What kind of server? Shared? Virtual? Cloud? Dedicated? Shared and virtual servers can suffer from low system resources which can contribute to a problem like this.
Yes, it is a shared server on GoDaddy.
3) Can you provide more information about this rogue admin? Do you know if he had FTP or shell access to the server? Or was it just admin access to the forum?
So this admin only had limited administrative access on the forums. No FTP access, nothing, absolutely no access, and one mistake I made was giving him ACP access to members, and that is where that issue plays in.
This is still an investigative process. Ideally your host can identify some specific process that is consuming the CPU.
So I talked with a GoDaddy customer service representative, and they told me that these issues could be caused by specific add ons installed onto the site? Which I highly doubt is the case, a sudden increase in site guests, which also doesn't seem to be the case. Other than that I don't know. He told me that the other alternative was to upgrade the CPU, which ultimately has an additional two 'levels' as they're called, for an additional price. I mean, I would do it, although I never used to have this problem before the deletion in all the members, or rather before I uploaded that one SQL table. So I mean... I don't know what else it could possibly be.

Yep, you would need to restore all 5 of those user tables to have complete records. That should be safe. But note that it may not restore post associations with those users. This post has more information:

XF 1.2 - Undelete someone

Blaming an addon is speculation. But yes, some addons are poorly coded or are otherwise resource hogs.

It's possible that your forum has legitimately exceeded the limits of your shared server through no fault of your forum. Some shared servers are very limited in terms of resources. A server upgrade might be appropriate.

Yep, you would need to restore all 5 of those user tables to have complete records. That should be safe. But note that it may not restore post associations with those users. This post has more information:

XF 1.2 - Undelete someone

Blaming an addon is speculation. But yes, some addons are poorly coded or are otherwise resource hogs.

It's possible that your forum has legitimately exceeded the limits of your shared server through no fault of your forum. Some shared servers are very limited in terms of resources. A server upgrade might be appropriate.
Right, so I did what you told me to do, and everything is working correctly, and also, these server errors are not popping up anymore.

Thanks! Really appreciate it!!! :)

Top Bottom