1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Chrome No Data Received Error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Divvens, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

My users are reporting problem while browsing with Google Chrome, usually a No Data Received error is randomly come across. I got in touch with my host, and they say such issue is usually caused by PHP.

I'm currently running xF 1.1.3 and my host is http://mddhosting.com/

I've also read that such issue is happening to many other users using chrome on several sites.

So should I be worried about this or is it a general Chrome problem? Or is it a server side problem?

Edit: Screenshots of error
    ProblemScreenshot1.png ProblemScreenshot2.png

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's likely PHP crashing or (probably more likely) being killed for some reason, perhaps for taking too long. Do you notice a slowdown when it happens?

If it's random, it's almost certainly a server issue.

3. Divvens

There is no slowdown at all Mike. It just randomly happens and on reload it's back normal.

Sometimes it happens 10 times in a minute and sometimes it happens only once a day. And I'm investigating this issue more and many Chrome users are reporting such errors or other various sites I'm starting to think something is wrong with chrome but at the same time I've never had such an issue browsing xenforo.com.

The host claims that it indicates a php error but they also said that without steps to reproduce they cannot further investigate unless I escalate the ticket there, I think I'll do that.

Edit: My host had added the following code to my .htaccess quite a while back;
    PHP:
    php_value include_path ".:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/home/orojacks/php:/home/orojacks/public_html/library"
    I have removed that, and I'll test if it still continuous though I think that wasn't the problem but doesn't hurt trying and it didn't break anything.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Am I reading that correctly? PHP version 4? Ouch.

5. Divvens

They actually updated their php to 5.3 and soon are upgrading to 5.4. They said that line would direct to whichever was the latest php directory they had set up, however after removing that line the error hasn't occurred even once. I somehow hate not being a technical genius at this stages, these things totally confuse me haha.

However my host says that line shouldn't have any role in the error, however after it's removed it's gone so I have no idea what to think. MDDHosting guys are great, their support is awesome, but since I'm not technical atm what works for me is removing that line which they had added to my .htaccess when I had a database error a few months back.

6. woei

woei Well-Known Member

Have the same problem. Load is really low on the server? Did you figure it out @Divvens ?

7. Divvens

My server load is fine, PHP error log and other error logs report no errors at all, it just seems to be a problem with Webkit that both Opera & Chrome use especially if you are running a server powered by LiteSpeed.

But I'm not soooo sure, I hear that Chrome changed from Webkit to Blink rendering engine.

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I am starting to see this more frequently.
    I had it here on XenForo this morning and on my own site last night.

RoldanLT, IcEWoLF and Divvens like this.
  9. Divvens

Yea, sometimes it doesn't appear for hours or days and sometimes its just annoying at the frequency it occurs. But it's a problem limited to only Chrome & Opera :( And no server logs, so it points a lot to it being a browser issue.

10. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I only encounter this on my forum when I have ngx_pagespeed enabled using memcached.
    After I disable memcached on pagespeed config, problem gone.

11. Divvens

I don't even make use of memcached on my forum, but I see this really often (not always but very often). Sometimes the problem isn't there, but sometimes it's there on almost every 5 or 6th page load.

12. woei

woei Well-Known Member

I have the same issues. Server load is really low, but seeing the error more and more. Xenforo 1.3.0 and Apache 2.2 php 5.5.1 and zend opcache. Can't see anything in the server logs whats causing it? Only about 70 visitors online now, load is below 0.2

13. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

I haven't experienced myself but am starting to see Chrome Navigation Errors in Google Analytics

14. woei

woei Well-Known Member

How can you see this in analytics? I see this error to often and want to see how much in total.

15. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

I'm sure you could set up a way to track the frequency in GA. I haven't but sometimes happen to catch it in Realtime > Overview under Top Referrals. Hope this helps

16. Gene

Gene Member

A few users have been mentioning this issue again this week. Did it just seem completely random?

17. Divvens

Yea its completely random, it has no errors appearing and it is only on browsers powered by Chromekit (Chrome & Opera).

18. Meric

Meric Member

This has been happening on my site for a few weeks now to multiple users including myself. Has anyone figured out a way to avoid or repair the issue?

19. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Well-Known Member

This has been happening randomly again for my site, my host checked and double checked everything from our end and nothing seems to be wrong...

20. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Chrome only?