Seriously?

0xym0r0n

A member of my site threatened to charge us a fee for using his name in a member nominated Hall of Fame.

He said he'd send us a bill of 200 euro if we did not remove his name from the voting.

Nominations happen before voting and he did see his name and he did not argue with it until a few days before the end (he was loosing).

He can't take a loss well so his excuse is as follows
"Lol i have beat all players on this list. what i want to say why im on the list? i dont want in the HoF. i want stay the undercover player. "

so we said no... so he said
"hey guys plz dont vote for me. i dont want win."

AND we informed him that it's basically too late and that no one backs out of these things because it's for entertainment purposes... it's already up and almost done with.

" tommorow i go to protect my name (insert username here). i.e. u get a ****ing big bill, if u write my name and i dont want it. u think i say ok. u have won? hahaha ***** f***** stupid b****. listen ***** im not a f******* american. im russian and if i say u should dont write my name, u make it, because im not ur f****** mama. if i say, u did. think about it motherf****."

"hey b***** if u have money its not a big problem. if u ready to pay, but beliefe me its more than 200€. for me its not much, but not all people have much money, maybe u one of them. i dk ***** u decide motherf*******. pay if u want see me in the HoF. u pay not me. u pay the state for using a protect name. dont play with me. u lose quickli."

ok persht i observe the running, but if i one of the 3 i dont want see my name on the list. i pay much money so that my name stay protect, but i never test it. and punisher i dont want test it. i have a international protect for 5 countrys (usa is in).

its not protect as a username. its protect as a nickname. u think im stupid and throw away a lot of money? no man i know many people who protect their names. i dont must protect my real name, because i not a man who have 100 friends or more. inessa355 exists more than u think persht.

I'm no lawyer but i'm pretty dang sure he can't charge anyone for using his name (that he used in a game only) as well as somehow get a document of some sort forcing a bill on us AFTER this dang poll is done.

A mod removed his name because he was starting to get annoying. But I thought I'd share my daily headache?

Hahaha, that put a smile on my face! sorry about the agro this user has caused, but you're right, he's letting off hot air and NO, you can't be prosecuted for displaying his username.

I'd laugh at him and even go as far as share whatever he sent you as a "threat" with the rest of the site. Make him out as a laughing example of how stupid people are.

• You can not copyright a user name (if you could, good luck enforcing it all over the internet).
  • If he uses the name in an online game, technically speaking the name is "leased" to him (he doesn't own it anyway). All those online services have a clause that any and all online content through their services is basically theirs.

I'd discourage him. Bye!

:sneaky:

But yeah, just to echo everyone else. He's not got a leg to stand on, but I'd also suggest that anyone, even excusing English not being his first language, that talks like this: "tommorow i go to protect my name (insert username here). i.e. u get a ****ing big bill, if u write my name and i dont want it. u think i say ok. u have won? hahaha ***** f***** stupid b****. listen ***** im not a f******* american. im russian and if i say u should dont write my name, u make it, because im not ur f****** mama. if i say, u did. think about it motherf****" probably doesn't have the intelligence to get you a "****ing big bill".

Use of name and likeness not just without permission, but after permission has been explicitly denied? You're not on as stable ground as you might think in European law.

Use of name and likeness not just without permission, but after permission has been explicitly denied? You're not on as stable ground as you might think in European law.
By using ones username? the username they happily registered to the site with, that username they happily posted while using? the username which I doubt is even the persons real name? Seriously? LMAO!

It is possible to trademark the name, copyright is more uncertain, as what is copyrightable varies a bit between country to country (e.g. some countries require "artistic merit" etc). I would mostly ignore the requests, as even the standard XF user agreement includes a passage about irrevocable license to use and republish his content, I would interpret it as the username is included. At best he can ask for you to delete him, but deleting his content is at your discretion, if you are using the standard policy.

as even the standard XF user agreement includes a passage about irrevocable license to use and republish his content, I would interpret it as the username is included.

o_O
I would say this would probably be the case, he created his user name not you, he just sounds like the typical sore sport. :rolleyes:

P.S. This gave me a good laugh as well, thanks. :ROFLMAO:

We need a good soviet russia joke in here.

But seriously, wow. You'd best wrap this sort of drama at once, I'd personally ban him and make a hall of shame and add his name to that list :D

Regardless of whether or not the law is on your side, if he explicitly tells you he doesn't want to be in it, why would you bother? Just remove him from it, and everyone is happy again.

Yeah, not the best idea to take legal advice from people on a forum, best thing to do is ask a real lawyer.
Another post I had to laugh at. Why would he talk to a lawyer about this? lol. I may start another new forum up, but I'll talk to my lawyer before proceeding, can never be too careful these days. I'm also going to use the toilet in a few minutes, but before I do, I'll consult my lawyer first to make sure I'm not breaking any toilet roll laws.

Another post I had to laugh at. Why would he talk to a lawyer about this? lol. I may start another new forum up, but I'll talk to my lawyer before proceeding, can never be too careful these days. I'm also going to use the toilet in a few minutes, but before I do, I'll consult my lawyer first to make sure I'm not breaking any toilet roll laws.

Because taking advice from people that have no legal experience can get you no where.

Top Bottom