• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SEO quality strategy for my xf board

hi,
i would like to share with you my new seo strategy for my xenforo forum

It's an 11 years old board (it was a phpbb2 before i move to xenforo 2 years ago)
i have around 15 000 pages indexed in Google

i decide yesterday to make a very big move in my forum management (good or bad i will see)

i remove acces to more than 80% of my pages to search engine

here is what i have done:

-i create a forum and move all threads with less than 3 answers and hide it to guest (lots of pages)
-i remove xenforo tags system (no more tags pages)
-i remove access to member pages with robots.txt (no more profil pages)
-i hide my members presentation forum from guest (lots of pages) (lot of this page have low quality content)
-i remove many pages with low quality content

what i can say is that i take this decision: quality vs quantity

Also i made this change:

Make all external links visible for guest (i used to hide links from guest)

i took all this decisions because my ratio indexed pages/search engine visitors is very low (for me)
and my bounced rate is high.

i know that all the pages that i moved or removed where already indexed in search engine so i will have a lot of 403 errors (already in my google webmaster console)
i will come here and tell you what's happen with my seo to see if it is a good solution or not (sorry for my english)

Day 4

Here what's happen after 4 days

- i lost around 8% visitors from search engine
- my position for primary keyword in google change every hours sometimes i am in page 6 then 3 then 4. It's in movement (i was page 3 before)

-I have only 350 pages in error in google console) (403)

Anthony Parsons

It will take Google months to sort through the mess you've created. I would check weekly, to be honest, versus daily. Google moves constantly, but steady results will not be seen for weeks / months. You can tell what will happen though within the first few days, whether you see an increase or decrease in traffic.

An increase will usually then fluctuate and keep increasing. A decrease will typically fluctuate, and usually keep decreasing.

You would have been better merging similar threads together, redirecting the older ones to the newer, creating threads of similar context and relevance. Shutout Google from user profiles to limit irrelevant content.

IMHO... this will be interesting to read what you say, but I think you could have done it in better ways that XF give you control to manage your content and Google.

Last edited:
I am going to do the same thing I think and it's a good idea of moving using the bulk update option to move threads with less than X replies.

My forum has 700,000 threads so I need to start removing the low quality stuff from Google.

Day 4
Here what's happen after 4 days
- i lost around 8% visitors from search engine
- my position for primary keyword in google change every hours sometimes i am in page 6 then 3 then 4. It's in movement (i was page 3 before)
-I have only 350 pages in error in google console) (403)
Hi, any update? Was a good move? Now you rank better?

Thank you,