SEO Addon for Xenforo

Software like Yoast has hundreds of features and I can think of many more. If you think that just being able to set titles and descriptions in an old school manner will suffice as a SEO addon then you have very difficult requirements than I. I wouldn't even bother.
The reason Yoast or any Wordpress Plugin has so many features is because Wordpress is so terribly optimized that it needs it. There is a huge list of optimizations and changes you can make for any site or platform, but the return is very minimal if the platform itself is fairly optimized.

I think there is a lot that can be improved in regards to xenforo SEO in the widest sense and forum content optimization.

Which xenforo is not IMHO.

Agreed, By default Wordpress as a platform is much more friendly, without any SEO or performance plugins. Xenforo, because of what it is, as a community platform has alot more challenges from an SEO perspective than a typical blog or service site. User generated content, thin content in categories and user profiles, paginated pages.... the list is litterally endless of improvements that any forum platform ( Not only Xenforo ) to help reduce crawl budgets and indexing of pages which realistically shouldnt be indexed unless the site owner wanted/needed it. Xenforo's architecture and speed yes is a bonus, but that alone doesnt make it SEO friendly.

This is one of the reasons I made something that completely unlinks user profiles from everywhere on the site, instead of just allowing crawlers to hit error pages if a member profile had previously been in the wild ( which is most sites that migrated to xenforo long ago, rather than new sites that started life on xenforo )

I've gotten things ranked with just the default setup of XF and also AMS.

You don't always need an SEO plugin... and the ones I've seen here - one of them I requested a refund on and never got it. So, grain of salt for ya...

Here are a couple of add-ons related to SEO:

I don’t believe I’ve ever had a “hit” on a xenforo forum via google search.

The hits are on xenforo threads, or xenforo root URLs, never a sub forum of the root URL.

I don’t believe I’ve ever had a “hit” on a xenforo forum via google search.
I was about to agree, then I found a subforum of mine that was up there ranking about 7 (not bad given it's competing with the "big boys" in retail) for the search term "saxophone articles". This really surprised me.

It's an article type forum though.

Is that still relevant in the light of this?:
Would heavily "depend" as to weather its beneficial to your forum to have profiles indexed or not and the ups and downsides of both instances.

For example, if all your profiles and registrations all filled out their profiles with nice rich content, used profiles like a social media account and added value and accountablity, then it might be worth while having markup showing which author is associated to which content.

But on the flip side, there is negatives to be considered in how many profiles are good and bad, and how authors are perceived across the web if they are identifiable with pattens.

Having thousands of thin/duplicate content from essentially blank profiles, imo causing a much greater impact forum wide than people realise.

And the usage of crawl budgets crawling parts of a site that offers little to no value, means that crawl budget isnt being used on priority and new content.

Same goes for blogs, It's only really beneficial to have author profiles if you have multiple authors of a good reputation web wide and/or you need it to show authority and knowledge of experts for Googles view on E.A.T and Yamll.

My opinion is that while I believe forums will have/are having a resurgence with the increasing volume of A.I generated content and Google scrambling to make "user generated content" a "thing" again. Authorship should be taken on a case by case basis of a particular site, like everything with Google and SEO, there isnt a one size fits all. What's good for one business, niche, website.....doesn't mean the same variables apply, especially with search intent playing such a role in how written content is perceieved.

Top Bottom