Sending mass-email to all users

I just used this and it sent about 150 emails to each of my users. What did I do wrong?

Assuming you didn't submit the form 150 times... maybe there is a problem with your mail server. XenForo simply passes off the emails to your mail server which is defined in your:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options -> Email Transport Method

Regarding this mass email, is there a way to make it send the email in steps?
For example if the number of uses that need to receive an mass email is 4000 to send only 200 emails every hour?
This would be very good because a lot of webhosting companies have the email limits to 500 / hour.
Thank you.

Very helpful smart ass ;)
I know I can do that, read my question again and restrain from idiotic answers please if you cant help.
It's not a smart ass answer.

4000 emails assuming you need them to see it. It may be better to pay postmarkapp $6 to send them reliably? Even the first 25k emails are free....

Or the 9.99 a month with sendgrid...

So there's probably more options.

So is it that smart an answer? Or perhaps one worth investigating?

Neither of those will do what he asked though. He wants to schedule 4,000 email sends and cap them at 200 emails per hour. Not send the 4,000 emails all at once. That is how I read it at least.

The email system now uses the deferred process and it will send as many emails as it can in the time available defined by the rebuildMaxExecution parameter, which defaults to 8 seconds.

It would require custom development to queue and limit the emails per hour.

Hence why using an external provider is the simpler option, not least because capping it to x emails per hour, with x thousand members, would take hours/days to complete sending.

This would be very good because a lot of webhosting companies have the email limits to 500 / hour.

I understood the limitation, I offered a very simple, possibly even better path to send email and it was rejected. Its as simple as that.

I didn't mean to be smart, but even in my own experience owning my own mail server that will send 10s of thousands of emails per hour I still use others to send email due to spam, deliver-ability issues etc.

If any email provider starts to get a large volume of email from an untrusted sender(as in you dont normally send 100/200/300/400 per hour), even @ 100 per hour its still 2,400 a day it will most likely start to reject email as spam. I know not all your emails are going to the one provider but outlook/live/hotmail and BTInternet is particularly difficult to deal with.

Top Bottom