Fixed Send Reports Into Forum - Problem when that Forum is Deleted

lightspeed

Affected version
v2.2.7 Patch 1
If you have "Send reports into forum" set, and then delete that forum, the "Send reports into forum" shows up as "None". The problem is that moderators will not be able to see the Reports link under the Moderator Tools anymore even though "Send reports into forum" shows up as "None".

To get the Reports showing up under Moderator Tools again, you have to select another forum under "Send reports into forum", save it, then set it back to "None" again and save it again.

I thought no one was reporting on my forum anymore, however it turned out that my reports center link had been hidden for a number of years!

How to reproduce:

1. Go to Options
-> User discouragement and discipline -> Send reports into forum
2. Select a forum
3. Go to Forums > Nodes and Delete the forum you selected above
4. Go to your forum home logged in as a moderator and the Reports link under Moderator Tools will be gone.
5. Go back to Options -> User discouragement and discipline -> Send reports into forum and it will be set as "None"

I guess the hope is that if you delete the forum you have setup for reports that you'd realise that may have an impact on receiving reports. But, clearly, it caught @lightspeed out as seen in the following thread and this report:

The worst part about it is the UI doesn't actually reflect the reality.

What's actually happening behind the scenes is the reportsIntoForum option is still set to that node ID and reports silently fail. In the UI it appears as though no node ID is set so you'd expect it to be working normally.

The workaround was reported as being select a different node and then re-set it back to none. Actually just saving that page of options without making any changes will have probably set the node ID to 0, therefore restoring the report centre. But those steps are totally non-obvious.

On the whole I think the simplest thing to do is for us to try and detect if the node being deleted happens to be the one in use for reportsIntoForum and if it is, reset that option to node ID 0 in order to restore the report centre. Not actually looked into it yet but I suspect something like that may be the route we go down so we'll confirm this and hopefully fix for the next release.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.8).

Change log:
If the forum used for reports is deleted, revert back to using the report centre
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom