Self Delete by Waindigo [Deleted]

I got rid of XenPorta long ago because the author said he doesn't intend to support free add-ons.

I had the comment that I left on Jaxel's XenPorta add-on reported and removed for being "unfair". I have since been allowed to re-comment on his add-on and received this lovely response calling me an "asinine ****":
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.90/

I think this guy needs to spend less time reading the thesaurus and more time fixing bugs.

Apparently you can fix this by making changes to his add-ons (replacing the word public with protected). I made the foolish assumption that there was actually some reason for him being such a terrible developer and having changed the word from protected to public in the first place (hence changing it back would break his add-on) but he assures me that isn't the case. I haven't tested it and I'm just an "asinine ****", so what would I know.

Let me know if you try it out.

Jaxel and Waindigo

I'm posting this in both threads and frankly, I'm not going to follow up on any reply. Don't bother, either of you.

I recently inquired to both of you on a simple problem and all I got was totally bullsh*it from both of you attacking one another (each other).

I DO NOT care about whatever differences either of you believe you have and I seriously doubt neither does anyone else.

When you release a product or add-on onto XenForo...

Yes people will ask for help sometimes

No, you're not required to go above and beyond, but it is nice to think that if you're going to release something... That you do not go about attacking other developers and you DO NOT drag the poor innocent people (such as myself) into your conflict.

Attached is a fix which worked for me. I do not know if it will work for everyone, but it should HELP some people.

It patches ALL the files I found that may or may not have conflicts. And it is NOT a judgement on who is right or who is wrong or who is the better coder. It is only a patch.

• XenPorta
  • XenMedio
  • XenAtendo
UPDATE: The attach does not work. While it corrects the error it prevents new content. Encourage someone else to fix this.

Attachments

Error Info
PHP:
XenForo_Exception: The requested user could not be found. - library/XenForo/DataWriter.php:1321
Generated By: Unknown Account, 47 minutes ago
Stack Trace

PHP:
#0 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1363): XenForo_DataWriter->_haveErrorsPreventSave()
#1 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/bdBank/XenForo/DataWriter/User.php(25): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#2 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/Waindigo/SelfDelete/DataWriter/UserDelete.php(49): bdBank_XenForo_DataWriter_User->save()
#3 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1422): Waindigo_SelfDelete_DataWriter_UserDelete->_preSave()
#4 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1361): XenForo_DataWriter->preSave()
#5 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/Waindigo/SelfDelete/Model/UserDelete.php(86): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#6 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/Waindigo/SelfDelete/CronEntry/SelfDelete.php(26): Waindigo_SelfDelete_Model_UserDelete->updateUserDeleteRecord(Array, '', 'deleted')
#7 [internal function]: Waindigo_SelfDelete_CronEntry_SelfDelete::selfDelete(Array)
#8 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/Cron.php(356): call_user_func(Array, Array)
#9 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Cron.php(29): XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry(Array)
#10 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Cron.php(64): XenForo_Cron->run()
#11 /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/cron.php(12): XenForo_Cron::runAndOutput()
#12 {main}

Request State

PHP:
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(59) "http://www.sociallyuncensored.eu/forums/cron.php?1352180762"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    [1352180762] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

PHP:
Fatal error: Access level to Waindigo_SelfDelete_ControllerPublic_Abstract::_preDispatch() must be public (as in class XfAddOns_Blogs_ControllerPublic_Abstract) in library/Waindigo/SelfDelete/ControllerPublic/Abstract.php on line 30

Seems like there is a conflict with this add-on. :(

Better Blogs
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/better-blogs.1055/
This is the same problem as before. The developer of Better Blogs appears to have taken the approach that I was unwilling to take in order to avoid incompatibility with Jaxel's add-ons. This is exactly what I warned would happen if Jaxel didn't fix his add-on quickly as it has now resulted in other add-ons having to break from convention.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to inform Rigel about your Anti-BS patch and suggest that he fixes his add-on and point his users in the same direction if they have incompatibility issues with Jaxel's add-ons?

To clarify the convention that needs keeping to, in XenForo all methods that start with an underscore (_preDispatch in this case) must be protected and NOT public. The error message is misleading because it states that it "must be public" but this is only because someone (namely Jaxel) has broken the convention.

This is the same problem as before. The developer of Better Blogs appears to have taken the approach that I was unwilling to take in order to avoid incompatibility with Jaxel's add-ons. This is exactly what I warned would happen if Jaxel didn't fix his add-on quickly as it has now resulted in other add-ons having to break from convention.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to inform Rigel about your Anti-BS patch and suggest that he fixes his add-on and point his users in the same direction if they have incompatibility issues with Jaxel's add-ons?

To clarify the convention that needs keeping to, in XenForo all methods that start with an underscore (_preDispatch in this case) must be protected and NOT public. The error message is misleading because it states that it "must be public" but this is only because someone (namely Jaxel) has broken the convention.
To be clear, my BS patch was a failure upon further review. While it didn't give me the error upon visiting those add-ons.... It prevented people from posting new content by changing public to protected.

To also be clear, it seems as though every time I or anyone else has an issue, you point it to someone else as fault. Enough.

This add-on is causing more issues than it is worth.... I recommend you review your add-on and not assume it to be perfect.... uninstalled.

What I know and everyone else should know is when your add-on is installed.... It conflicts with over 12 other add-ons, made by different developers, and some of them well skilled and respected. The only common denominator in it is this add-on.

Regardless of how they were coded correctly or incorrectly, they all work without your add-on. So the end solution is to remove your add-on until you've resolved it or written it to not conflict with so many others. Because the desired affect is for things to work, regardless of how or why.

Only some of them well skilled and respected? Not all? Lol.

As I understand it Jaxel has already fixed the issue with his add-on but didn't feel that it was worth releasing because he thought it was such a small bug. I hope you are giving him as much hassle as you are giving me.

Reactions: HWS
Only some of them well skilled and respected? Not all? Lol.

As I understand it Jaxel has already fixed the issue with his add-on but didn't feel that it was worth releasing because he thought it was such a small bug. I hope you are giving him as much hassle as you are giving me.
I'm not even talking about Jaxel or his add-ons, which I'm not using. There are dozens of other add-ons which have an issue with this add-on (yours), coded by other developers. And NO, they do not depend on Jaxel's code or his add-ons.

This ends our discussion, because I feel it can no longer serve anything any further.

My advise is to review your add-on ... ie... give it a self audit. You can ignore my advise if you wish. No one is forcing you to do anything you do not want to do.

I'm only stating that from what I have experienced there are dozens of other add-ons which conflict with this one. They are not made by Jaxel, nor do they use his code, and they are respected developers who have released more modification than you have, without issue.

/end

Even the very best developers make mistakes:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/methods-incorrectly-marked-as-public.41372/

Having completed an audit of all my add-ons, I found 1 place where I accidentally marked an internal method as public in a shared file. This will be corrected in future releases of all affected add-ons but isn't likely to cause any incompatibility issues.

Excluding Better Blogs (that I haven't tested because I don't have a license), I count 5 add-on's that are currently incompatible with this add-on. All of these are released by Jaxel. To fix, locate the files listed below and replace:
PHP:
public function _preDispatch($action)
with:
PHP:
protected function _preDispatch($action)

[8WayRun.com] XenAtendo (Events)
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Events/Admin.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Events/Birthdays.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Events/Daily.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Events/Event.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Events/Monthly.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Events/Weekly.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Events.php

[8WayRun.com] XenCarta (Wiki)
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Wiki/Archive.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Wiki/Special.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Wiki.php

[8WayRun.com] XenHabla (IRC)
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Chat.php

[8WayRun.com] XenMedio (Media)
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media/Admin.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media/Category.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media/Comment.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media/Keyword.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media/Media.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media/Playlist.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media/Service.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media/User.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Media.php

[8WayRun.com] XenPorta (Portal)
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Forum.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Index.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Portal.php
library/EWRatendo/ControllerPublic/Thread.php

In addition, an unrelated bug was found during the audit of this add-on and a bug-fix will be released shortly.

Edit: Where struck-through, the latest versions of these add-ons include the fix.

Waindigo updated Self Delete by Waindigo with a new update entry:

Version 1.0.0d released

Important potential security bug fix:
  • Although no specific issue has been identified, it is possible that a user may be able to gain access to restricted information produced by other add-ons if those add-ons are not properly secured and that information is usually visible on the front-end of the site by a restricted group of members (see below). The Admin Control Panel has not been compromised in any way. Updating this add-on to the latest version will close this security...

Read the rest of this update entry...

The latest versions of [8WayRun.com] XenAtendo (Events) and [8WayRun.com] XenMedio (Media) are now compatible with this add-on. :)

The latest version of [8WayRun.com] XenCarta (Wiki) is now compatible with this add-on.

Top Bottom