Search & Filter Custom fields

Alpha1

I would like to be able to search custom fields and also to be able to filter on custom fields.
There are a lot of situations where this would be very handy. In some cases it would allow us to merge forums and just use custom fields instead.

For example: in the bug reports forums here there is a custom field for XF version.
It would be handy if you could search or filter for all bugs for a specific version.

Additionally: it could be taken a step further and make the custom field hotlinked to the search. So to take the example of XF version field, you could add a field for 'fixed version' and have this hotlinked a a search for all bugs fixed by this version. This in turn would give you a handy link to all fixes in a software release.
There are many ways in which that function could be handy.

Last edited:
Upvote 119
I think he's talking about one of the advanced custom field features I have on a couple of my XF1 addons.
Ah, I understand. I made the exact suggestion for that actually, that isn't implemented yet in his addon where you can click on plain text as u say.

Btw. I have read that you pretty much abandoned filtering in order making them available in the XF default filter options, right? Like it is not like the XF1 version, on a sidebar, but more in the filter options? Haven't had the chance to observe the XF2 version yet that much.

And you can share filter links so that you can direct users to the results.
That is possible with his addon, just there is no filter link highlighted like in Bob's addon, it is in the url though.

I really hope this makes it's way into XF 2.2.

Custom fields for threads or resource manager are pretty much useless without being able to search or filter by them. One shouldn't need an add-on to do it.
Yeah! this is in the 1st position in my wish list for xf 2.2 :love:
Having this kind of filter in the core will enable 3rd party addons devs to support it with less trouble and make the look and fill standard in every page/app of the community.

I am very biased when it comes to this as this is the bread and butter of my forum. I also would like to see it but to be fair, I can't say or know if this is a feature everyone would need or want.

Yeah! this is in the 1st position in my wish list for xf 2.2 :love:
Having this kind of filter in the core will enable 3rd party addons devs to support it with less trouble and make the look and fill standard in every page/app of the community.
This is 1st 2nd and 3rd on my wish list for 2.2

Its pretty high on my list as well. It would affect not only xf core and official addons, but 3rd party addons as well. IMO it would be a big upgrade to content discovery. And content discovery is a big issue in the mobile age.

Its pretty high on my list as well. It would affect not only xf core and official addons, but 3rd party addons as well. IMO it would be a big upgrade to content discovery. And content discovery is a big issue in the mobile age.
Yes it makes complete sense for resource manager

I would like to add to this suggestion with:

Yes, front-end searchable custom fields would be great. What I wanted to add is, if this is implemented, please add the 3 core fields; website, location, about. On my previous platform people used the location search to find people in their area, etc.

And

In the admin cp you can currently search custom fields per user, but not the core fields. Please add these core fields! It is essential to finding spammers with websites and 0 posts, etc.

Thanks!

Yes, front-end searchable custom fields would be great. What I wanted to add is, if this is implemented, please add the 3 core fields; website, location, about. On my previous platform people used the location search to find people in their area, etc.
By chance, IPS just implemented front end custom user field filtering in IPS 4.4.5
It would be nice to see this in XF as well.

I think thread fields are a good place XF can expand on to make a lot of things possible. Another useful thing would filtering what fields are required or which choices are available in a field based on the choice of another field (essentially nested fields).

I would like to be able to search custom fields and also to be able to filter on custom fields.
There are a lot of situations where this would be very handy. In some cases it would allow us to merge forums and just use custom fields instead.

For example: in the bug reports forums here there is a custom field for XF version.
It would be handy if you could search or filter for all bugs for a specific version.

Additionally: it could be taken a step further and make the custom field hotlinked to the search. So to take the example of XF version field, you could add a field for 'fixed version' and have this hotlinked a a search for all bugs fixed by this version. This in turn would give you a handy link to all fixes in a software release.
There are many ways in which that function could be handy.
Come on XF 2.2!!!

tenor-2.gif

Wait, is this not yet a thing? 2.2.1 definitely needs this. Huge missed opportunity here.

With the roll-out of Forum & Thread types, its as though Xenforo understands the need for surfacing and discovering different types of content... yet somehow missed the mark on searching fields.

These are all very-much needed pieces to the puzzle.

It also has a lot of potential for many different types of websites, both businesses and discussion forums. Compared to some of the more niche suggestions you see here, this one would apply to a much broader range of forums.

In addition to searching fields, the field itself can also be improved. Nested fields, using fields with thousands of choices, etc.

It also has a lot of potential for many different types of websites, both businesses and discussion forums. Compared to some of the more niche suggestions you see here, this one would apply to a much broader range of forums.

In addition to searching fields, the field itself can also be improved. Nested fields, using fields with thousands of choices, etc.

Exactly, this suggestion should be at the top of the suggestion list. This single feature would add more functionality to XF than almost all of these other suggestions combined, you could build out all sorts of things. This is one thing IPB has XF. Very disappointed this didn't make it into XF2.2.

Exactly, this suggestion should be at the top of the suggestion list. This single feature would add more functionality to XF than almost all of these other suggestions combined, you could build out all sorts of things. This is one thing IPB has XF. Very disappointed this didn't make it into XF2.2.
I'm shocked it wasn't on 2.2 as well. Seems very important to the search capabilities and functionality.

Top Bottom