Search & Filter Custom fields

Alpha1

I would like to be able to search custom fields and also to be able to filter on custom fields.
There are a lot of situations where this would be very handy. In some cases it would allow us to merge forums and just use custom fields instead.

For example: in the bug reports forums here there is a custom field for XF version.
It would be handy if you could search or filter for all bugs for a specific version.

Additionally: it could be taken a step further and make the custom field hotlinked to the search. So to take the example of XF version field, you could add a field for 'fixed version' and have this hotlinked a a search for all bugs fixed by this version. This in turn would give you a handy link to all fixes in a software release.
There are many ways in which that function could be handy.

Last edited:
Upvote 119
What, you don't want to have to pay $50 plus another $40 a year for an addon to do this kind of thing? What's wrong with you guys? :ROFLMAO:

Its also how it works in @Bob 's addons including Showcase.

Worked in 1.x XF - not in 2.x

What, you don't want to have to pay $50 plus another $40 a year for an addon to do this kind of thing? What's wrong with you guys? :ROFLMAO:

Bob's addons are worth every penny. Rock solid and feature rich. They're an amazing value for the amount of quality work and blood he puts into them. But this feature of sorting and searching custom fields should be built into the XF CORE. It'd be IMMENSELY VALUABLE to XFRM for sure. That's reason enough for the XF team to add it.

I actually had in mind Addonslab, but whoever, and I wasn't being serious, in case that wasn't clear. Of course it would be better in the core. But as with so many other features, we get the bare bones and it's left to others to flesh them out and make something truly great of them - which unfortunately usually means us having to pay more. :(

Didn't know they had an addon for it. If they can support @Bob 's addons I'd consider buying it as a stop gap until it is added to CORE XF.
Well, the one I had in mind is here:

But unfortunately it doesn't look to have XFRM support, so.....

Well, the one I had in mind is here:

But unfortunately it doesn't look to have XFRM support, so.....

Ah, thanks, sbj. I had thought for sure they had at least one other specifically for Resources, but just couldn't find it before I had to head out the door. Well, there you go. Of course if you had to buy all three it would set you back a pretty penny, but worth it, I suppose, if you were able to make a decent profit off them.

Ah, thanks, sbj. I had thought for sure they had at least one other specifically for Resources, but just couldn't find it before I had to head out the door. Well, there you go. Of course if you had to buy all three it would set you back a pretty penny, but worth it, I suppose, if you were able to make a decent profit off them.
I agree, if you had to buy all of three, it is expensive. I also think that the RM and MG are pretty useless in their current versions. They must be integrated to threads and must be able to be filtered. So what leaves us is the thread filter addon, which is really a great addon. I can highly recommend it. You can turn your threads into anything you want, even a picture gallery if u wanted.

RM needs to have an Amazon style custom field filtering for sure.
It needs a lot of things. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mind that those addons by @AddonsLab do not provide filter links. So its different than what you are used to in @Bob 's addons.
I use filter links every day to direct members to a selection of items. It would cost me monthly income to loose that functionality.
What do you mean filter links? They are integreated, if you mean that when you select a field that the url updates accordingly, which it does.

What do you mean filter links?
I think he's talking about one of the advanced custom field features I have on a couple of my XF1 addons.

Each Custom Field that is of a certain field type has a optional setting to convert it to a Filter Link instead of just displaying static text. When viewing an item that has custom fields, when you click on a filter link, it takes you to the Category page that the item is in and filters the page by that particular custom field. The can also be display within content containers on Listing Pages (for quick filtering a listing by a specific field).

In this case, clicking on the 120-300 Gallons filter link is going to filter the Category listing by all fish tanks that are 120-300 Gallons.

This works in conjunct with the amazon style Custom Field Filtering that is available on Category Pages.

Top Bottom