Safe to buy right now?

Phinary

I am very tempted to buy Xenforo right now for my community but after reading a bit I had some worries. Is it a safe time to buy right now with the whole lawsuit thing going on? Should I wait till the lawsuit is over before making my purchase?

Thanks

The worst case scenario you are painting is that you purchase Xenforo in a few days and the next day they say the business is over. Well #1) that's super unlikely. #2) there are some major players and amazing admins and websites that use Xenforo. We can easily support Xenforo for YEARS as a community - regardless of the status of Xenforo LTD.

Not to mention Xenforo will win the lawsuit easily.

Tell use more of what you want in a forum.
Maybe you could use MyBB ? phpBB3 ?

I had the same question, but I think your response is an excellent answer. I will be buying this soon! My one reservation is I need someone to help me export my vb users to xenforo. Is there someone out there that can do this and does it well?

I had the same question, but I think your response is an excellent answer. I will be buying this soon! My one reservation is I need someone to help me export my vb users to xenforo. Is there someone out there that can do this and does it well?

Waindigo.
Schmitzl. [EDIT] SchmitzIT

I think I read before that someone had to have the funds inside the paypal account directly before they could purchase directly through xenforo.com.

It's not an official answer and it probably best to the use the contact at the bottom right but that person had success with that method.

i try to buy but it not let me with paypal.

doesnt seem safe they ask for wire transfer? i dunno

XenForo has always accepted wire transfer for those without or unable to use Paypal.

The problem is as of late paypals "firewall" has been getting overzealous, XenForo isn't the only company suffering from this. Possible workarounds include, and some have seen sucessfull for some and not for others:

Paying from mobile phone
Putting the funds into your account before purchasing
Checking out as a guest on paypal and using a card not linked to a paypal account.
Sending the money directly to XenForo (after being instructed to do so on a support ticket)
Paying an invoice generated by XenForo

I purchased xenforo the same week it went out. I was lucky I got it cheaper than others I am thankful for the advertisement in vBulletin.com in their announcement forum "the lawsuit" :D I didn't care I loved what I saw and I knew is different than vb so I bought it. If you think xenforo is a great tool and you love it then I think you should buy it. Otherwise don't! though there are plenty of good developers in the community. If you need help you can always ask and I assure you will get a response in a day or two sometimes minutes.

Seeing my name was dropped in this, I figured I'd give my opinion.

Your original question was whether or not it is safe to buy XenForo. I would think the actual question you should ask is whether or not XenForo is right for you.

The answer to that is not something that we can tell you. However, what you could do is list the expectations you have for forum software. We can then tell you whether or not XenForo would meet those expectations.

If XenForo is safe to buy or not, I would say it is perfectly safe. At this very moment, there is no legal reason prohibiting you from buying it. Even if XenForo loses the case, I'd be highly surprised, if not shocked if it ended up with you having to immediately cease running the software.

If you want intuitive software that encourages your users to come back, that's proven to be light-weight on server resources and is secure, XenForo would probably be a great match for you.To this day, I still think XenForo offers awesome value for the money, and I truly love working with it i every way.

If you are looking for software where the developers are constantly giving updates to the comunity, or where you can say with great confidence that the product will remain under constant development for years to come, XenForo might not be the right soluton for you at this moment.

Should you want software that's groundbreaking only in its claims and the staggering number of queries it executes, check out vBulletin!

Hi, I'm new and don't have the software running with members yet. But I can tell you that so far I am beyond pleased with the software. It was easy to install, is lightweight in terms of not being bloated with all kinds of extra things that I don't need and that take away from the core product. When I've had questions they are answered very quickly. I looked at all the other forum software and just didn't find anything else that came close to what this one does. Am I a bit anxious about the lawsuit? Yes, of course, but I can live with the sw in the current state as I don't need it to do 6 different web apps--I just need a forum that works well. I'm hoping that the lawsuit is dismissed and that the developers can move on with their business. But in the meantime they still have a great product and I'm glad to have made the choice to move foward.

Hi, I'm new and don't have the software running with members yet. But I can tell you that so far I am beyond pleased with the software. It was easy to install, is lightweight in terms of not being bloated with all kinds of extra things that I don't need and that take away from the core product. When I've had questions they are answered very quickly. I looked at all the other forum software and just didn't find anything else that came close to what this one does. Am I a bit anxious about the lawsuit? Yes, of course, but I can live with the sw in the current state as I don't need it to do 6 different web apps--I just need a forum that works well. I'm hoping that the lawsuit is dismissed and that the developers can move on with their business. But in the meantime they still have a great product and I'm glad to have made the choice to move foward.

Nice to see you are enjoying XF.

I am very tempted to buy Xenforo right now for my community but after reading a bit I had some worries. Is it a safe time to buy right now with the whole lawsuit thing going on? Should I wait till the lawsuit is over before making my purchase?

Thanks
Yes, as a matter of an opinion it is indeed safe to buy XenForo. You'll not regret it.

Web I went to answer you just to say friendly a welcome but then felt so impressed by your summation. That was an amazingly intelligent summary of what it is like to be a new XF user , specifically in current circumstances. Concise, includes all key facts, dispassionate, balanced ... wow this is a power user and you will be a very useful productive and `sensible part of the XF community (if you care to come here).

I will really look forward to any further contact. I can help with basic stuff and I know good coders who can advise on more. The mods here as you say are excellent (Jake Bunce, Lawrence, Slavik) and there are ordinary users who are not at all ordinary who have helped me a huge amount.

If you're willing to use some addons I recommend these:
Jake's Nodes As Tabs, Make new navigation tabs on top toolbar, plus secondary links. With Link Forums (really links to whatever) this is often called the most powerful addon.
Syndol's Conversation Essentials - adds key items`like the name of recipient but a LOT more. Free/ paid.
(Cedric) Cclaerhout's ToggleMe Collapses categories/ forums accordind to admin selection/ user can open, close.
Waindigo's Login as User Login as any user w/o password to check their view and functions.
Vincent's Stay Logged In - default ticks that pesky little box so we don't get so frequently disconnected.
I also use Waindigo's Library so I can have Articles (1 or more pages) /make some users editors/ without html.

They all have other great addons too! Have fun.

Shan, Thank you very much for the warm welcome. And your suggestions on the addons has come as they say at "exactly the right time" for me as I begin implementing some customization options that will turn this great platform into an environment where my users will be able to interact, participate, learn and support one another. I had found your tutorial on making small code changes before also---great job on that and what a helpful resource for everyone as they learn the sw, especially if they are not coders themselves.

Grateful for you and for everyone who has so graciously volunteered their time and shared knowledge to help a newcomer like myself. I look forward to more contact as well and in getting to know everyone better as I get ready to unveil this new platform to my community. Good coding and a well designed core product + excellent support + awesome end users willing to share and help = success. Thanks again for taking the time to list the suggestions about the addons. Will dive into those today and hope everyone has a good weekend! Take care.

Top Bottom