Add-on RSS Feed with Images in Sidebar?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-an-rss-feed-block-to-the-sidebar.341/

Hi everyone, I think this is the correct place to put this.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a resource that had images along with RSS feeds to them. I found Brogan's resource: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-an-rss-feed-block-to-the-sidebar.341/

And it is really good, I will use it nonetheless. I was just wondering if someone was developing one that parsed images as well as the title and content. Thank you!

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-an-rss-feed-block-to-the-sidebar.341/

Hi everyone, I think this is the correct place to put this.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a resource that had images along with RSS feeds to them. I found Brogan's resource: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-an-rss-feed-block-to-the-sidebar.341/

And it is really good, I will use it nonetheless. I was just wondering if someone was developing one that parsed images as well as the title and content. Thank you!
I actually made something to do exactly this (build feed blocks from multiple sources and mesh by a selected method...)
DGDFG.webp

This is a horrible gif image displaying what the slideshow mode does...
.gif
.gif
It supports unlimited amounts of widgets and can be setup to be fully cached so request will only be made once every ten minutes or so.

Last edited:
I actually made something to do exactly this (build feed blocks from multiple sources and mesh by a selected method...)
View attachment 88609

This is a horrible gif image displaying what the slideshow mode does...
View attachment 88611
View attachment 88618
It supports unlimited amounts of widgets and can be setup to be fully cached so request will only be made once every ten minutes or so.
You have plans to add this to RM? I'm trying to find something like this that works with Widget Framework

I probably should have mentioned it was built on widget framework using a custom renderer.

It uses a semi private api which I built on request from someone to generate the various feeds and feed blocks that doesn't require any hard authentication and until I add in the authentication system I built for the api I can't publicly offer it as I would have to do non optimal things to limit which servers could request feed building and only give them valid responses in order to prevent service abuse.

I built the actual site addon only for XF at first but it took about 10 minutes to rewrite the renderer into a matching widget for wordpress so when I do finish integrating the auth system into the rewrite for the first public api, the feed builder and all the other api tools which I have privately built will be made available publicly and at that point I will list the addon here and possibly make the WP plugin available as well.

The addon itself will be free along with a very basic level of API access and have a few options for paid levels of usage and for this particular endpoint, the variable internal feed updating rates (feed polling is done on the API server with a variable rate based on subscription level and stored so that when requesting your amalgamated feed you will not be waiting on a response from the server).

Though I can not put an exact date on the release of the addon and announcement of public service offerings as that is contingent on the registration of a business in my state, if it looks to be taking longer than the next week or two in order to complete the process I could set you up personally with the addon and pre-public api access that of course is if you don't find something else in the meantime which fills your needs.

Feel free to start a convo with me if you are still looking in another week or so or whenever really and we can chew the fat on it and get you setup.

Saaweeeet! Sign me up for this Mr @EQnoble (y)

Actually don't need the mod itself. Only need to figure out how to fetch an image from an internal RSS feed. Want to display our latest featured articles with an image in the sidebar.

Actually don't need the mod itself. Only need to figure out how to fetch an image from an internal RSS feed. Want to display our latest featured articles with an image in the sidebar.

Ahhh, yeah even access to the production version of the addon wouldn't help you, the base functionality of this was built in a way that even if the addon was pirated, pirates will not be able to use it and furthermore there is no way to even look at the code to determine how to make what I did work because it is not readable in any sense of the term.

Unfortunately the byproduct of protecting my work makes it so that there is no useable code to copy or mimic by members of the community who would do something similar or want to grab an example to give them an idea of how to do something. The only code from this that could be copied refers to the construction of the displaying html elements which already has the image reference available to it and doesn't solve the issue of grabbing an image for you.

I figured I would tell you this now before you get ready to pony up money as I wouldn't want you to buy something for a reason that doesn't comply with your needs (slicing up code for functionality).

Last edited:
The short answer no, it has not been publicly released and only 4 people have access to it on any level currently including myself.

I am still trying to figure out what to charge per X requests but that is pretty much the only reason I have not released it yet as now version 3 is just about done (v1 endpoints are still live).

If you start a convo with me we may be able to work something out to our mutual benefit though I am getting tired so I may not respond until tomorrow.

Has this resource been released?
I PMed @AndyB a few weeks ago and he also expressed interest in doing something like this.

Essentially I'm looking for just that as well.

Want to display the image, and title, of my most recent WordPress posts.

If the block on your xf is only going to contain recent WP posts from a WP site of your own that is actually very easy in comparison to allowing any and all types of feed content.

This is also something I have already done as well as the reverse (xf posts within wp widget) and the thing in my images above is way overkill for it.

However, I see where this thread is going though so I will bow out and let you guys carry on so as not to get trolled for my time.

Top Bottom