XF 2.2 RSS Feed not importing?

parafly9

Hello,

I have an RSS feed that creates "deal of the day" posts in a dedicated node. After my vb --> xf upgrade, this doesn't seem to work any longer.

When I check the RSS feed URL, it has an entry for this morning.

I checked posting permissions from the user account it posts from, and the user has permission to post into the node specifified.

When I click "Preview", it also looks correct.

But for some reason it doesn't seem to actually generate the new thread into the subforum when I click "run now". Any ideas on why?

1604951179239.webp

Solution
Thanks. I did a quick test in a forum that I set up as an Article forum specifically to test RSS feed import. I then created a general discussion forum and tested the RSS feed.

I copied your setting exactly and just used my account as the posting account. The only difference is I used {content} instead of {description} because if you use {description} it won't process the HTML tags but using {content} is the same as {description} just that all HTML is parsed perfectly. The import worked and I grabbed the North Face Graphic Collection just fine. See screenshots.

Test-RSS-XenForo.webp

The-North-Face-Graphic-Collection-1-4-Zip-Jacket-Men-s-XenForo.webp

The-North-Face-Graphic-Collection-1-4-Zip-Jacket-Men-s-XenForo (1).webp

The only thing I can suggest to try is to disable the original feed and add a new feed with the same settings then try to import...
I have experience with RSS but honestly, without knowing the feed URL, we can't test on our end to see what the cause possibly is. If your willing to provide the feed URL then I'll take a dive into what could be causing the issue.

Thanks. I did a quick test in a forum that I set up as an Article forum specifically to test RSS feed import. I then created a general discussion forum and tested the RSS feed.

I copied your setting exactly and just used my account as the posting account. The only difference is I used {content} instead of {description} because if you use {description} it won't process the HTML tags but using {content} is the same as {description} just that all HTML is parsed perfectly. The import worked and I grabbed the North Face Graphic Collection just fine. See screenshots.

Test-RSS-XenForo.webp

The-North-Face-Graphic-Collection-1-4-Zip-Jacket-Men-s-XenForo.webp

The-North-Face-Graphic-Collection-1-4-Zip-Jacket-Men-s-XenForo (1).webp

The only thing I can suggest to try is to disable the original feed and add a new feed with the same settings then try to import again. If that fails, check for errors and report any errors back here. If no errors, try replacing {description} with {content} and see if it imports.

Solution
Wow! I just recreated it exactly as it was and it worked fine. The RSS feed came in during my Vbulletin import so there must have been something there preventing it from working. Seems to be some kind of bug.

If I'm honest, I doubt it's import related, unless there was some bug with the frequency. If anything, I think it's an issue with the feed itself though it needs to be watched over time to confirm. My guess is that it will post once and then stop.

If that's the case, the issue is that the feed doesn't have anything to uniquely identify an entry outside of the <link> element. If this URL doesn't change when the entry changes, then this is 100% the cause and it'd need to be something that changes in the feed. We need some way of uniquely identifying a feed entry to ensure it doesn't get double posted. There are a few approaches here depending on values in the feed, but if they're not found, it'll fallback to the URL provided.

Yeah @Mike It doesn't seem like it's working, it posted once and hasn't posted since again. This has been running for years on my old vb4.2.5 forum, updating once per day (when a new "deal of the day" posts).

I verified and there is a new , different entry today when i actually click the feed URL. I tried doing "import now" and it doesn't pull the new entry.

It looks like the <link> is the same but the <pubDate> changes each day. is there a way for me to change this?

Top Bottom