XF 2.2 Not importing attachments when migrating from XF to XF

Ferry

Hi,

We are trying to migrate an old forum from XF 2.2.13 to the same v2.2.13 by new clean install and then using the import tool.

This is essentially a takeover and we would like it to be accomplished this way.

We took the files and database of the old forum and placed them on our server in the old.example.com subdomain and the migration should be done to example.com

After a clean install, we ran the import tool and specified the

Data directory

/www/wwwroot/OLD.example.com/data

and Internal Data directory

/www/wwwroot/example.com/internal_data/

Everything except attachments was imported successfully. At one of the import steps it was indicated that the attachments were 0, which is very strange.

We tried to copy the folder with attachments directly to the new directory, but it didn't work.

What could be the problem?

Best Regards

Solution
Sorry, I am not in a position at the moment to go beyond those basics, due family and business commitments taking up all my time. Its usually a permissions issue of some kind, and the Xenforo error logs will usually say if the files couldn't be read.
Anyway, thank you.

I contacted tech support and unfortunately they didn't help me, but my colleague found what the problem was.

It turns out the Internal Data directory should be /www/wwwroot/old.example.com/internal_data/

Why this error was not pointed out by tech support remains a mystery, perhaps they are very busy before Christmas :sneaky:

Best Regards
A lot of servers are setup to not allow PHP to access files outside the base directory of the user its running as. I bet if you move the attachments directory to the same root folder as the new domain, it will import them.

A lot of servers are setup to not allow PHP to access files outside the base directory of the user its running as. I bet if you move the attachments directory to the same root folder as the new domain, it will import them.
We tried creating an "old" folder in the example.com directory.
Now the path looks like example.com/old but the same thing happened, everything but the attachments were imported.

Or did you mean something else?

Is it possible the file owner is not the same as the server user running the import?

Worst case, if this is vBulletin, change the attachment storage type to database instead of file system. Let that run until completion and the import will then fetch directly from VB's database.

Is it possible the file owner is not the same as the server user running the import?

Worst case, if this is vBulletin, change the attachment storage type to database instead of file system. Let that run until completion and the import will then fetch directly from VB's database.
This is our own server and there is no indication that the user does not have permissions to access the files.

Moving from XF to XF, not vBulletin

Any other ideas?

Regards

Sorry, I am not in a position at the moment to go beyond those basics, due family and business commitments taking up all my time. Its usually a permissions issue of some kind, and the Xenforo error logs will usually say if the files couldn't be read.

Anyway, thank you.

I contacted tech support and unfortunately they didn't help me, but my colleague found what the problem was.

It turns out the Internal Data directory should be /www/wwwroot/old.example.com/internal_data/

Why this error was not pointed out by tech support remains a mystery, perhaps they are very busy before Christmas :sneaky:

Best Regards

Solution
Top Bottom