What happens with the google search results when migrating from vBulletin 4 to XenForo

Abraham54

Hello all, I am Admin at NationaalComputerForum.nl and currently we use vBulletin 4.2.1.
I suggested to the owner of this forum to migrate to XenForo.

The owners thinks, that when migrating to XenForo, Google search results on original vBulletinlinks will give a 404 return.
The url will not be changed of course (this forum exists since 2001) and I think there may be a problem or not.

What is your experience by migrating from vBulletin about Google?

As soon as 36 hours after I switched from vB3.7 to XF, I was already seeing our old threads with the new URLs in Google. And like Brogan says, redirection scripts (or even htaccess directives) can accomplish this.

Hello all, I am Admin at NationaalComputerForum.nl and currently we use vBulletin 4.2.1.
I suggested to the owner of this forum to migrate to XenForo.

The owners thinks, that when migrating to XenForo, Google search results on original vBulletinlinks will give a 404 return.
The url will not be changed of course (this forum exists since 2001) and I think there may be a problem or not.

What is your experience by migrating from vBulletin about Google?
When I switched I didn't consider a redirect for the old links.

However due to the amount of Google traffic it was a 5-10 min fix.

It's reasonable to consider recovery time but with a live active site it will be unnoticeable.

Also digital point posted that his traffic increase.

Top Bottom