• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Retain text formatting, without using rich text editor for input?

TheBigK

My 'Contact Us' addon uses a 'textarea' input field where the user can type his/her message. The addon's working fine, but I'd like the email to retain the formatting of the text entered by the user. I think one of the options is to use the rich text editor; but wondering if I can have the basic formatting (line breaks, for example) retained?

I use HTML format for all my outgoing emails.

Jake B.

My 'Contact Us' addon uses a 'textarea' input field where the user can type his/her message. The addon's working fine, but I'd like the email to retain the formatting of the text entered by the user. I think one of the options is to use the rich text editor; but wondering if I can have the basic formatting (line breaks, for example) retained?

I use HTML format for all my outgoing emails.
You can keep the line breaks by using nl2br. Spaces/tabs you can convert to non-breaking spaces using str_replace. That should cover just about everything :)

TheBigK

Hi Jake,

I changed my code to this:
PHP:
$senderMessage = nl2br($this->_input->filterSingle('sender_message', XenForo_Input::STRING));
Email Received:-

This is line 1<br /> <br /> This is line 2<br /> <br /> This is line 3

The email is in HTML format, but it's not converting <br/> tags to actual new lines in the body of email.

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 9.57.29 am.png

Jake B.

Hi Jake,

I changed my code to this:
PHP:
$senderMessage = nl2br($this->_input->filterSingle('sender_message', XenForo_Input::STRING));
Email Received:-

This is line 1<br /> <br /> This is line 2<br /> <br /> This is line 3

The email is in HTML format, but it's not converting <br/> tags to actual new lines in the body of email.

View attachment 116128
You'll need to use {xen:raw to render it in the template. However, since you are allowing user input you should probably sanitize it as well first.

TheBigK

You'll need to use {xen:raw to render it in the template. However, since you are allowing user input you should probably sanitize it as well first.
Thanks! I added {xen:raw $message} to the email template and it now retains breaks :D !