Resource pricing for XF 2.0

Lisa

including chargebacks from people that bought the add-on before it was integrated into the core
I just don't see that happening. We already know current addons are highly unlikely (if not 100% not going to) work with XF 2.0, so I would imagine most third party devs are going to charge for the new versions of their addons as they'll have to rewrite from scratch. The current Post Rating addon is built to work with 1.0, it's not expected to work with 2.0, so anyone purchasing it to use with 2.0 in the first place would be a bit silly, no?

so I would imagine most third party devs are going to charge for the new versions of their addons as they'll have to rewrite from scratch.
I dont care if they rewrite add on or not, they not see extra money from me for any add on.

I dont care if they rewrite add on or not, they not see extra money from me for any add on.
That's your choice, you just won't have those add-ons for XenForo 2.0.

XenForo add-ons are generally quite cheap and arguably underpriced in many cases. To expect add-on authors to publish add-ons for free or at low cost and maintain and rewrite them for nothing is unreasonable. We wouldn't expect our work to pay us once and then expect us to work month after month for no further pay, would we?

For good quality add-ons that are maintained and rewritten for new versions of XenForo, authors should be charging reasonable prices and an annual update subscription just like XenForo does (we don't expect a one-off payment for XenForo so add-ons should be no different).

Xenforo developer are not raise price for Xenforo license there is no any reason to add on developer raise price for add ons except naked grid for money.

For good quality add-ons that are maintained and rewritten for new versions of XenForo, authors should be charging reasonable prices and an annual update subscription just like XenForo does (we don't expect a one-off payment for XenForo so add-ons should be no different).
I agree with this 100%

Xenforo developer are not raise price for Xenforo license there is no any reason to add on developer raise price for add ons except naked grid for money.
You pay a yearly support fee with XenForo to keep access to latest version of your licence. Yet, you think a third party developer is greedy for wanting to be paid for additional work required when XF2 comes out and they need to completely rewrite their addon? Do you expect to pay one price of $30 for an addon and that should be good for lifetime access to the licence. What about if the devs charged a yearly support fee for support (some do, already) do you disagree with that too?

Actualy i will drop all add ons and developers who charge extra money for plugin, so yes there is couple developer who not charge extra fee yearly, you buy it once and ciao.

For XF2, I don't expect any paid addon to be ported over for free.

If anything, I'd expect some prices to go up now people have a better idea of their market.

Actualy i will drop all add ons and developers who charge extra money for plugin, so yes there is couple developer who not charge extra fee yearly, you buy it once and ciao.
And customers like you are the reason people don't want to release addons to begin with.
It's always claimed that there is a lot of toxicity in the add-on market; I'm personally starting to see it more and more myself and it's not just from add-on developers.

So judging by your statement, I gather that you don't pay to upgrade your windows installation?

You don't pay to update you're security software on your PC?

You don't pay to have your car serviced?

All these are added costs once you've already purchased the item, why should it be any different for add-on devs?
They are not the greedy ones, customers like you are.

Well then you just won't have the updated/rewritten addon for 2.0 then.

That's your choice, you just won't have those add-ons for XenForo 2.0.

XenForo add-ons are generally quite cheap and arguably underpriced in many cases. To expect add-on authors to publish add-ons for free or at low cost and maintain and rewrite them for nothing is unreasonable. We wouldn't expect our work to pay us once and then expect us to work month after month for no further pay, would we?

I agree with this 100%

You pay a yearly support fee with XenForo to keep access to latest version of your licence. Yet, you think a third party developer is greedy for wanting to be paid for additional work required when XF2 comes out and they need to completely rewrite their addon? Do you expect to pay one price of $30 for an addon and that should be good for lifetime access to the licence. What about if the devs charged a yearly support fee for support (some do, already) do you disagree with that too?

For XF2, I don't expect any paid addon to be ported over for free.

If anything, I'd expect some prices to go up now people have a better idea of their market.

And customers like you are the reason people don't want to release addons to begin with.
It's always claimed that there is a lot of toxicity in the add-on market; I'm personally starting to see it more and more myself and it's not just from add-on developers.

So judging by your statement, I gather that you don't pay to upgrade your windows installation?

All these are added costs once you've already purchased the item, why should it be any different for add-on devs?

Those that expect to get something for nothing, should get just that, nothing.

You bought a addon that is expected to work with the 1.x series, no reason you should expect that addon to be updated for nothing through XF 9.0. ;)

i never see stupid statement then yours, windows installation and PC :ROFLMAO:, its about plugin, when xenforo 2 is come will use only plugin who are free of charge on yearly level.So that i plan to do, you and everyone else can do whatever want.

i never see stupid statement then yours, windows installation and PC :ROFLMAO:, its about plugin, when xenforo 2 is come will use only plugin who are free of charge on yearly level.So that i plan to do, you and everyone else can do whatever want.

It's the same principal, customers with that kind of mindset are toxic and greedy.

OK so how's this for a comparison, I gather you won't be upgrading to XF 2.0 since you need to pay a yearly fee ?

It's the same principal, customers with that kind of mindset are toxic and greedy.
ŽivaAkcija's opinion is no more or less valid than anyone else's, and calling him toxic and greedy for it runs counter to any productive dialogue. He will deal with the outcome of his decisions just as the rest of us do.
Add-on developers who charge a one time fee should definitely be charging a new fee for a major rewrite. You could make the case however that those developers charging both an upfront fee and continuing subscription fees might be expected to provide the new version as part of the support the subscription fees imply.

I very much hope every addon author does charge and in some cases raises the price of their addons for XF2.

We lost several good devs over the course of XF1 because they charged too little for it to be sustainable for them. As an example, I feel @Brogan priced his featured threads addon as a perfect level as one of the more premium addons available, and (I believe though feel free to correct me this will be moving to a yearly renewable pricing instead for XF2) given how the product has evolved since its original conception is more than fair to me.

While free or cheap addons are great for all, I also believe there was room for a more unified system in place which would allow for greater sustainability for everyone involved.

There is very few that think that way, if that bugs them they shouldn't release anything.

Yearly renewal is about the only way to make it fruitful to continue development into a new major version (XF 2.0). Otherwise, unless it's a hobby, you'll be burned out from not seeing any type of return other than some likes for rewriting huge add-ons (thinking about @Bob here).

I very much hope every addon author does charge and in some cases raises the price of their addons for XF2.
I agree with the first bit, either charge for the XF 2.0 version or introduce a renewal fee.

I agree with the first bit, either charge for the XF 2.0 version or introduce a renewal fee.
I've been considering that most of my larger, currently, free add-ons will be going paid with a yearly renewal for thier XF 2.0 version, purely because moving them to XF 1.x -> XF 2.0 looks to be a total rewrite from the ground up.

I'm just lucky that most of my add-ons are generally rock solid after I sunk ridiculous amounts of time into developing them and patch them as my two sites encounter bugs with them. Because honestly trying to troubleshoot complex problems on random people's sites for free add-ons is impossible to justify for the amount of time & effort required.

Last edited:
I've been considering that most of my larger, currently, free add-ons will be going paid with a yearly renewal for thier XF 2.0 version, purely because moving them to XF 1.x -> XF 2.0 looks to be a total rewrite from the ground up.
from free to year renewal? In the middle there's for example a one-time "major release update price" ;)

Good QUALITY FREE add-ons are few and far between. Those who provide such add-ons should be praised and thanked for providing their time and talent if only in the hope that they continue to do so. This however does not happen often enough.
Second best, are one time fee add-ons and as far as those are concerned, this system no longer works due to a number of factors but mainly due to piracy and the use of one license on multiple sites. There are a few wonderful people in the XF community who support coders and are honestly purchasing multiple licenses but the majority do not.
I used to LOVE coding for XF (and would love to do so again for XF 2.0) but unless you have renewal fees its simply not worth it in the long term.
If you use an add-on with a one time purchase fee, use it often and appreciate the quality of the code, then you should expect to (dare I say, even want to) pay extra to have it redesigned to work flawlessly with XF 2.0
In my opinion one time fee add-ons across multiple versions of the same software is a thing of the past. Unless one can continually provide their time for free, it is not something that is sustainable in the long term (unless one is retired perhaps).
I understand and agree with people who have purchased a one time fee add-on not wanting to cough up any extra money for updates, be it fixes or new features, for the same major version of the software. But one cannot expect this to carry over to a new version of the same software based on a different architecture.
Unless I'm mistaken, even games purchased for PS3 don't work on the PS4 unless purchased again specifically for the PS4. While disappointing, it is unavoidable.
I think people seem to forget that most XF add-on coders are actually individuals and not businesses with dozens of employees.

If there are some customers out there that do not wish to pay another fee for premium addons being updated to XenForo 2.0, then they are perfectly within their right to decline payment. However, I think addon developers will introduce a fee and I honestly think it would be good for the ecosystem of developers to do it. You should be paid for your time and effort.

For example, I use quite a few Audentio themes and I would not expect to get the themes I currently use for XF 1.0 for XF 2.0 when it's stable. I highly suspect that themes, the same as addons, would need to be completely redone.

I'm very much looking forward to an explosion of XenForo 2.0 addons after it's released. Perhaps developers who did not want to code for 1.0 because of the impending 2.0 release. It should be fun to see :).

I'm very much looking forward to an explosion of XenForo 2.0 addons after it's released.
don't think that will happen...those who are willing to pay for add-ons usually do not live on the edge. If XF2.0 is out and has no obvious benefits to endusers cause of identical feature-sets compared to 1.0...only those with small boards/small invests/small budgets will update during the first months.

Instead of a boost, it may backfire that 2.0 will not have new features from the start. Board-owners stay on 1.x because of their add-ons but 2.0 has too few users/communities to make money out of them. Could take up to 2-3 years til 2.0 will push 1.x out of focus. Can be a loooong time for coders that need to make money for a living.

Top Bottom