Resource pricing for XF 2.0

@Syndol 2.0
Nah, all apologies from me if I was offending. You don't need to apologize for anything, I was just saying that the point was missed imo. So I apologize that you felt like that, I didn't mean to do that.

Of course the rule of supply and demand dictates everything. But it is not wrong to have a healthy view, to look behind the plate, to see how unequal markets can be.
And from a view of a customer, when I compare other softwares and addons, and see what little is offered here from addons, I come to the conclusion that majorly addons are overpriced. Sure, you can demand what you want, and you may find customers, but it doesn't change the fact that most stuff is overpriced. I can't do anything about the prices, I can just state my view.

And again, as a customer, why should it bother me how many copies something makes? If I see quality stuff sold for 15 bucks somewhere and compare what I can get here for that money, it is like day and night. I was not comparing 14$ with 50$. For example I would gladly pay the 50 bucks for that addon, if it would be sold here, even though I know that the same thing is sold for other platform for 14. The problem is not those addons in the price range of 50. The problem is all those addons in the range of 10-30, which are overpriced. Cause for 14$ I can get full developed stuff on other platforms. Here for 15 I can't get 1/10 of that scope. So basically you end up paying 10 bucks for an addon. Ok, not a big deal. Not much money. But because those 10 bucks addons don't cover much, you end up needing tens of addons. That adds up. But that is also avoidable. The problem is all those 10-30 range addons don't deliver what you need. So you are demanding or asking for features. But the dev asks for custom development money, which gets skyrocket high. That is why those are overpriced. They are not full-packaged, they are missing a lot of stuff. And making the creator add those stuff costs you so much which is not doable. The large quality stuff are full-packaged. They are worth the money. You don't need to decrease their prices cause they deliver a lot of things.

About you, I have a question.
If I am correct you were pretty active in the era of 1.0 to 1.2, right? Then you handed your addons. Then you came back again. And then you left again, right?
Are you planning to come back for 2.0? Just out of curiosity.

The problem is all those 10-30 range addons don't deliver what you need. So you are demanding or asking for features. But the dev asks for custom development money, which gets skyrocket high.
I agree with you there. Some developers used that tactic where they asked for "donations" in order to add features to very basic add-ons.
I also understand that on other platforms one can get a lot more for their money. There are reasons as to why this situation exists and I've mentioned a few of them in this thread.
Not sure what the answer is but I understand where you are coming from.
Are you planning to come back for 2.0?
Only if I get to leave again :)
My plan is to rule the world but first I must wait for XenForo 2.0 to come out. Already shaved my head and got a cat that sits on my lap. Now all I need is XF 2.0 code to power my crazy plans.

You do not like to pay or spend money, I totally get that. But what about liking an add on after you downloaded and using it, or rating it and leaving a review? When was the last time that you did that? That does not cost anything at all, besides good manners. You do not like to pay, you do not like to thank the add on developers at all for all their hard work. It looks to me that you are out to only get and not give one little bit. Things do not work that way.
Nobody likes to spend money :D, but I still own many addons which I bought and never used.
And what are you talking about? Who says I don't like to thank developers? I am watching 480 resources, and in many cases I've helped out a lot of people in the resources threads when they had questions. Before the addon owner responded, I tried to help them, when I could.

Also I promoted many many many addons, free or paid ones. People often come here and ask questions like "is there an addon or how can I do this" and I always linked to those addons. That is my way to thank developers, by helping out. I am not active anymore here as I used to be but I give you some examples how I thank developers.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
And those posts are between Feb 2015 and Oct 2016, where I am not that active anymore. When you would go far back than this time, where I was actively trying out addons, you will find more messages where I tried to help people using addons, so I tried to give support to help out.

That is a very good idea actually. Why do not you?
Why don't I do what? To learn coding?

Here you can see my atempt in presenting my experience of learning to code. I tried to make a summary for all people who want to learn coding and who don't know where to start or how to learn coding for XenForo.
See:
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...hen-developing-an-add-on.116443/#post-1069149

And here you can see my first attempt of coding.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/milestone-1-how-to-populate-dropdowns.117209/

Due to not much help, I gave up the idea and I am waiting for 2.0 to start again.

Not sure what the answer is but I understand where you are coming from.
Thank you. I just wish the best for this community. I want that XF evolves to the next level. And for a healthy growing, we need criticism and discussions. That's all.

Only if I get to leave again :)
So you will be back again then? :)

Last edited:
The code won't automatically work, in most cases, but on the basis that a number of the concepts are similar, it's not necessarily a total redo. There's also theoretically a few approaches which don't necessarily make the most of the new approaches but may allow you to expedite the process slightly. A lot of work tends to go into the general conceptualisation and planning of an add-on, too, so we certainly have a head start in some cases when bringing add-ons over to XF2.

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom