RM 1.0 Resource Manager Feedback and Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
There has been a considerable amount of discussion and comments on the Resource Manager since it has been implemented... not all of which has been positive. ;) However, I do want to mention that it is still early days and what you're seeing borders on the "minimum viable product" (MVP) concept and will be improved. You can't develop a product solely in a vacuum -- you need to see how it works when people use it and that's when you discover things that need to be changed.

We have taken a lot of feedback on board, and there are various features that we're looking at. Some of these include:
  • Purchase support for resources (both for a "single owner" like a shop and "app store" style)
  • Custom resource fields (by category, ideally)
  • Category hierarchy
  • Review support for ratings
  • Better limits on who can rate
  • And some others :)
Conversely, there are some suggestions that we don't necessarily agree with and some considerations that need to be taken into account that might not be immediately obvious. I want to cover some of these suggestions to let you know what we think and to try to foster some in-depth discussion. I feel that a lot of the initial thoughts that have been posted have not necessarily thought about other perspectives or what the purpose of X is.

The Resource Manager is a "general use" add-on

This means that despite it only being used on XenForo.com, it's designed to be used by other people with different requirements and desires. As such, when we implement something, we can't just hack in something specific for XF.com. It needs to be approached in a more generic way. Sometimes this way is obvious and most ideas can be spun into something more generic, but it always means more work -- the amount more is what varies, sometimes orders of magnitude more.

The category sidebar should be on the right to be consistent

I find this a slightly weird suggestion and one I don't really understand completely.

First, you'll note that the right sidebar you see on most pages contains less important information. In most cases, if it weren't there, you'd still be able to get around. The category sidebar is the primary navigation system within the resource manager, so it deserves a more prominent display. Most sites either use top- and/or left-based navigation system; I can't think of one with primary navigation in a right column.

Second, it's not actually inconsistent. There are various other places in XenForo that use left-column navigation: Help, the account pages, and automatic page node navigation.

The Resource Manager is a shop front for digital downloads / discussions in resources

(I'm aware of the irony of me calling it that when you can't sell individual items directly, but as we've repeatedly said, it's something we want, but wasn't part of the MVP.)

The talk about whether discussions should be in resources gets to the heart of what the purpose of the Resource Manager is. Foremost, the RM is designed to be a shop front for digital downloads - like Amazon (they do digital downloads :)) and your pick of app stores. The primary purpose is to make it easier to discover resources and to keep up to date with them.

Going back to just using threads means that updates to resources are intermixed with general questions, so if you're running add-on X, you have to watch the thread if you want to be informed of updates, but then you're forced to wade through the other stuff to find updates. The RM solves that by allowing you to watch a resource and be notified whenever it's updated, not when there's a comment. Always keep in mind that there are a large number of people that don't post in the add-on threads at all; they just use them. (The same way we have plenty of customers that never post here and probably haven't even registered and have never had "human" contact with us.)

So, this leads me into a few philosophical sounding questions...

In the context of resources, what are discussions? Is it saying that you love it or it worked well (or you hate it)? The reviews system (which would display within a resource) seems to handle that. Is it saying thanks (or other form of appreciation)? The like system and possibly reviews can solve that, but regardless that doesn't make for compelling reading for most others. :)

So, then we have functionality questions, support, and suggestions. (Anything else I can't think of?) So if the thread is made up of that, what is the distinct value of including that in the resource? Keep in mind that you can always watch the thread if you're interested in more than just the resource (which a lot of people aren't). As a matter of fact, doesn't using the thread system make it easier to work with the comments on resources if you feel they're very important? They keep the visibility via new/recent threads, whereas they wouldn't be there if they were in the resource. There's also the question of whether it's actually worth it to implement all the additional functionality when we have a thread system, though that may vary on a case by case basis.

I do take that allowing the resource author to moderate their own thread would be cool.

Then, the next philosophical question, what is in a resource? Is it just keeping the layout? Is it showing when you view the resource from the list? I'm genuinely curious about this. In theory, we could make the resource threads not show up in what's new and only be discoverable via the resource system. You'd only get updates to them if you watched them. While that would appear to be "in" the resource (the technical implementation notwithstanding), but what's the benefit?

I am after some serious discussion on this, as I'm trying to understand the mindset -- the discussion just seems to pale in comparison to the importance of the resource (for people looking for resources), and the fact that I don't need to ever visit the resource itself to keep up with the discussion means that I don't see a disadvantage to the thread system.

Resources as a "forum" (multiple discussions)

I understand this idea, and it's not unreasonable as a general concept, though it isn't a priority based on what I mentioned earlier: the focus of the resource is on the resource and keeping up to date with it. It's also a big undertaking. :)

In terms of XF.com, there are some add-ons (in particular) that it'd be useful for, but there's nothing preventing authors from setting up their own areas that consist of more than one thread. People will have different approaches and desires with this, so I don't think they should necessarily be shoehorned into a particular approach. You might say that the thread is a particular approach, but the thread isn't required--we have locked one as the author requested support via his site--and there may be some changes to emphasize that down the line. I'm not sure yet.

I'm sure there are more things I'll come up with, but I think that's enough for now...

That sidebar on the right is just bad design. It is important information and therefore should be somewhere that you will notice. Right side of the page is for secondary content.
A small-font visually unappealing tall list of resource types is not really how one wants his or her users to be greeted. Maybe sometimes breaking from the conventional notion is not bad.

And to add to what brogan said. My wall of text goes into the reason people are complaining about it too. It is currently ugly, it's placement isn't the issue. And moving it to the right would be a terrible design decision.

That sidebar on the right is just bad design. It is important information and therefore should be somewhere that you will notice. Right side of the page is for secondary content. Notice when the sidebar is on the left it is something important like the resources and help. They are both navigation which is one of the most important things in web design. On the forum screenshot however you will see all the information is stuff that doesn't even matter. It might look a little better to you but that doesn't make it a good idea.

With that logic you can say the list of resources is the primary content(most important) and should be listed left. Secondary would be "filters" (categories) to get at specific types of resources. My personal opinion is that I don't care how they release the columns because I will change to look how I want it to look.

With that logic you can say the list of resources is the primary content(most important) and should be listed left. Secondary would be "filters" (categories) to get at specific types of resources. My personal opinion is that I don't care how they release the columns because I will change to look how I want it to look.
No? Navigation is more important than content. How else would you get there? You don't put the top navigation bar below the forum list do you?

http://rowansimpson.com/2007/09/13/right-column-navigation/

"Traditionally navigation on the web either appears on the left or at the top. Right hand navigation has somewhat been frowned upon. However, more recently this trend seems to have been changing with more websites adopting it. I think this is partly due to blogs, which seem to have right hand navigation by default. However, it has always struck me as strange that the convention is towards left. If you think about it there are a lot of good reasons for right hand navigation…
  • It puts the content first visually
  • Your cursor naturally hovers near the scrollbars on the right
  • We are familiar with right hand navigation from tabs in books
  • We know from usability research that whether navigation is on the left or right, it makes no difference in the time it takes to complete a task
Overall I am hugely in favor of right hand navigation and I am glad to see it becoming more popular"

In 2007. Notice it never caught on? Wide screen monitors became much cheaper. Also blogs have very different content. In that case the content is the most important content because you get to blogs from search engines and other sources. People don't navigate blogs as much, they just read what is latest. If I ever have to navigate a blog I always find I have a hard time. Also blog navigation on the right is generally for older, not important stuff. The main navigation still sits at the top.

Why not let users be able to define where they want to see the bars? Either left or right. Heck, make it a user-specific setting and people would be able to move it where ever they deem it to be most pleasing to their own eyes :)

Seeing add-ons with prefixes looks ugly. I don't add them with mine anymore because I don't see the advantages. However for those who do add them maybe you could add somewhere for the author to insert them instead of putting it in []. A nice way to do it would be the ability to have a logo before it with class="Tooltip" to display the company/person of interests name.

try thinking of using the RM at other websites which are not related to "downloading of Add-ons". Not everyone is in the business of providing "Add-ons".

No? Navigation is more important than content. How else would you get there? You don't put the top navigation bar below the forum list do you?

First comparing the top navigation to a category list(filters) is like comparing apples and oranges. So, nope.com to that. Putting the top navigation at the bottom would move it out of site and require scrolling. Which is NOT even close to what we are talking about here. Can we at least agree on that???

But at the end of the day, everyone is going to have an opinion on what is important and how it looks.

Even if it didn't require scrolling you still wouldn't put it there. It is more important. How are you meant to find the add-ons you want listed without the navigation? It is basic design. You click on the left what you want, it shows up to the right of it. Think of a drop down menu that keeps expanding, they always go down first and then keep going right, it is just natural. The breadcrumbs is another example. It goes from the root to the current page. Left to right is just how things work. If the sidebar say had only things like top mods etc and the categories were displayed from the top nav with drop downs etc then it would make sense to have the sidebar on the right.

Why not let users be able to define where they want to see the bars? Either left or right. Heck, make it a user-specific setting and people would be able to move it where ever they deem it to be most pleasing to their own eyes :)
Just change the .resourceListSidebar float from "left" to "right" and the .resourceListMain margin-left to "margin-right".
Once RM is available to purchase.

Just change the .resourceListSidebar float from "left" to "right" and the .resourceListMain margin-left to "margin-right".
Once RM is available to purchase.

That would have me set things as I would see them to be best. I'm more thinking every user of my site would be able to pick themselves whether it goes left or right. Happy users contribute more and stay longer :)

First off, though not very helpful, overall, I like the RM.

Even if it didn't require scrolling you still wouldn't put it there. It is more important. How are you meant to find the add-ons you want listed without the navigation? It is basic design. You click on the left what you want, it shows up to the right of it. Think of a drop down menu that keeps expanding, they always go down first and then keep going right, it is just natural. The breadcrumbs is another example. It goes from the root to the current page. Left to right is just how things work. If the sidebar say had only things like top mods etc and the categories were displayed from the top nav with drop downs etc then it would make sense to have the sidebar on the right.

On this left to right issue, I tend to think it makes sense to have it left to right (or that may be another way of saying that I tend to prefer it). That said, I am not sure I care too much. Just a thought though- what about foreign language sites that read right to left? This does not impact me at all, but I am wondering if it is an issue to consider for XF as I know that there are many folks with sites in countries where this is the way you read things. (Though, I have no idea if the same conclusions about LtR hold true with RtL. I just wonder if it is a factor that XF would consider IF they have a sizeable customer base in countries with this format for reading.)

Not sure if it is technically difficult or not feasible, but SchmitzIT's idea seems to be a good solution. If it's customizable, then that would seem to be the ideal solution (barring difficulties in implementation or, unless there was considerable bloat because of this option; though, I suppose it could be released in separate files- LtR, RtL, or option available).

I think there is some validity to the concern about splitting the discussions between the RM entry and a separate discussion thread. The only real experience I have with this is the vB CMS, which auto creates a new thread and links to it from the CMS article. My sense is I don't like it much, but then again, not having another option, I am not sure how the contrary set up with the discussion falling under the RM entry would play out.

One thing I've noted that I believe should be in there that I haven't seen (or may have been suggested but I haven't seen it) is the ability to show a relationship between resources.

For example, my blog add-on is located here and someone created a spanish translation here. Aside from the title and perhaps a search, you have no idea that they are related. While you could view the translation and see in the description or name that it's a language file for an add-on, if you view my add-on there's no indication translations exist. I could include it manually in the description myself, but that's something extra to keep track of that I shouldn't have to (especially when there's at least 6 or so translations I need to look out for that haven't been moved to the RM yet).

What I'm suggesting is that on the "parent" resource page, add the ability to "Add Related Resource" or something along those lines so that when people make enhancements or translations for one resources you can see their relation in one place. The resource owner can always add related resources themselves but for 3rd-party submissions from people who create translators, the resource owner should be able to have the ability to approve/remove them.

Right now all resources are treated the same which works when everything is supposed to be separate. When resources are supposed to be partnered with an existing resource because they're dependent on it to work the RM should reflect that rather than keeping them apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom