RM 1.0 Resource Manager Feedback and Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
There has been a considerable amount of discussion and comments on the Resource Manager since it has been implemented... not all of which has been positive. ;) However, I do want to mention that it is still early days and what you're seeing borders on the "minimum viable product" (MVP) concept and will be improved. You can't develop a product solely in a vacuum -- you need to see how it works when people use it and that's when you discover things that need to be changed.

We have taken a lot of feedback on board, and there are various features that we're looking at. Some of these include:
  • Purchase support for resources (both for a "single owner" like a shop and "app store" style)
  • Custom resource fields (by category, ideally)
  • Category hierarchy
  • Review support for ratings
  • Better limits on who can rate
  • And some others :)
Conversely, there are some suggestions that we don't necessarily agree with and some considerations that need to be taken into account that might not be immediately obvious. I want to cover some of these suggestions to let you know what we think and to try to foster some in-depth discussion. I feel that a lot of the initial thoughts that have been posted have not necessarily thought about other perspectives or what the purpose of X is.

The Resource Manager is a "general use" add-on

This means that despite it only being used on XenForo.com, it's designed to be used by other people with different requirements and desires. As such, when we implement something, we can't just hack in something specific for XF.com. It needs to be approached in a more generic way. Sometimes this way is obvious and most ideas can be spun into something more generic, but it always means more work -- the amount more is what varies, sometimes orders of magnitude more.

The category sidebar should be on the right to be consistent

I find this a slightly weird suggestion and one I don't really understand completely.

First, you'll note that the right sidebar you see on most pages contains less important information. In most cases, if it weren't there, you'd still be able to get around. The category sidebar is the primary navigation system within the resource manager, so it deserves a more prominent display. Most sites either use top- and/or left-based navigation system; I can't think of one with primary navigation in a right column.

Second, it's not actually inconsistent. There are various other places in XenForo that use left-column navigation: Help, the account pages, and automatic page node navigation.

The Resource Manager is a shop front for digital downloads / discussions in resources

(I'm aware of the irony of me calling it that when you can't sell individual items directly, but as we've repeatedly said, it's something we want, but wasn't part of the MVP.)

The talk about whether discussions should be in resources gets to the heart of what the purpose of the Resource Manager is. Foremost, the RM is designed to be a shop front for digital downloads - like Amazon (they do digital downloads :)) and your pick of app stores. The primary purpose is to make it easier to discover resources and to keep up to date with them.

Going back to just using threads means that updates to resources are intermixed with general questions, so if you're running add-on X, you have to watch the thread if you want to be informed of updates, but then you're forced to wade through the other stuff to find updates. The RM solves that by allowing you to watch a resource and be notified whenever it's updated, not when there's a comment. Always keep in mind that there are a large number of people that don't post in the add-on threads at all; they just use them. (The same way we have plenty of customers that never post here and probably haven't even registered and have never had "human" contact with us.)

So, this leads me into a few philosophical sounding questions...

In the context of resources, what are discussions? Is it saying that you love it or it worked well (or you hate it)? The reviews system (which would display within a resource) seems to handle that. Is it saying thanks (or other form of appreciation)? The like system and possibly reviews can solve that, but regardless that doesn't make for compelling reading for most others. :)

So, then we have functionality questions, support, and suggestions. (Anything else I can't think of?) So if the thread is made up of that, what is the distinct value of including that in the resource? Keep in mind that you can always watch the thread if you're interested in more than just the resource (which a lot of people aren't). As a matter of fact, doesn't using the thread system make it easier to work with the comments on resources if you feel they're very important? They keep the visibility via new/recent threads, whereas they wouldn't be there if they were in the resource. There's also the question of whether it's actually worth it to implement all the additional functionality when we have a thread system, though that may vary on a case by case basis.

I do take that allowing the resource author to moderate their own thread would be cool.

Then, the next philosophical question, what is in a resource? Is it just keeping the layout? Is it showing when you view the resource from the list? I'm genuinely curious about this. In theory, we could make the resource threads not show up in what's new and only be discoverable via the resource system. You'd only get updates to them if you watched them. While that would appear to be "in" the resource (the technical implementation notwithstanding), but what's the benefit?

I am after some serious discussion on this, as I'm trying to understand the mindset -- the discussion just seems to pale in comparison to the importance of the resource (for people looking for resources), and the fact that I don't need to ever visit the resource itself to keep up with the discussion means that I don't see a disadvantage to the thread system.

Resources as a "forum" (multiple discussions)

I understand this idea, and it's not unreasonable as a general concept, though it isn't a priority based on what I mentioned earlier: the focus of the resource is on the resource and keeping up to date with it. It's also a big undertaking. :)

In terms of XF.com, there are some add-ons (in particular) that it'd be useful for, but there's nothing preventing authors from setting up their own areas that consist of more than one thread. People will have different approaches and desires with this, so I don't think they should necessarily be shoehorned into a particular approach. You might say that the thread is a particular approach, but the thread isn't required--we have locked one as the author requested support via his site--and there may be some changes to emphasize that down the line. I'm not sure yet.

I'm sure there are more things I'll come up with, but I think that's enough for now...

Agree!
that's something similar i posted here:
hrhr-png-rb-png.24198

I like this screenshot very much. Clean, simple, logic.
Having the whole stuff at the right sidebar is much better.

Also, the 3 Tabs for the Threads would make the RM being useable for other uses.
Especially when having an option to show the "Resource" itself to the public (visible to visitors who are not logged-in) and showing the "Threads-Content" (Discussions) to registered users only.

This would give XF another level of usage and would be absolutely great!

Shelley, not trying to argue with you here, you have your own reasons for wanting to keep things together (I want it that way as well). But can you refer me to what exactly is the problem you're facing that you'd have to "throw away 90%" of your posts? Just trying to understand the issue, could easily be something I have overlooked or something.

But, lets say things stay they way they are currently (split discussions in the RM and forums). Couldn't you create the initial entry in RM, that'd start the thread, then merge your old thread into the new one created by RM?

Like I said, I admit I don't understand the problem so... heh

Sure I don't mind explaining because you can see it right here first hand.

Xenforo are archiving all resources (not all if you include template modifications) so by having the separation they are effectively relying on developers, stylers & designers to re-post all their resources to the RM system. The same rule will apply to sites of forum owners who would need to reply on their members to re-post everything and chances are they won't. This seems to be acceptable, in my eyes it's asking alot considering.

Sure I don't mind explaining because you can see it right here first hand.

Xenforo are archiving all resources (not all if you include template modifications) so by having the separation they are effectively relying on developers, stylers & designers to re-post all their resources to the RM system. The same rule will apply to sites of forum owners who would need to reply on their members to re-post everything and chances are they won't. This seems to be acceptable, in my eyes it's asking alot considering.

The ones that are still supporting their add-ons likely or will likely add theirs to the resource manager though (to test it out at the very least). Ones that are no longer supported, don't work with 1.1.1, much less 1.0.4, I don't see any reason that they cannot be archived. No one is posting in them, there is no help, and some don't work at all and others have completely died.

The ones that are still supporting their add-ons likely or will likely add theirs to the resource manager though (to test it out at the very least). Ones that are no longer supported, don't work with 1.1.1, much less 1.0.4, I don't see any reason that they cannot be archived. No one is posting in them, there is no help, and some don't work at all and others have completely died.

Overtime. you'll get the same with the RM. add-ons that won't work that is something that can't be helped.

Overtime. you'll get the same with the RM. add-ons that won't work that is something that can't be helped.

Eventually, yes. So why start off "fresh" with add-ons or styles that were created and have never been updated, no longer work and no longer get support? Its a waste. I don't see the purpose of posting anything from the "Archived" area that an author isn't even here for anymore. Some have completely gotten away from xenForo, are they supposed to have their threads moved as well?

Eventually, yes. So why start off "fresh" with add-ons or styles that were created and have never been updated, no longer work and no longer get support? Its a waste. I don't see the purpose of posting anything from the "Archived" area that an author isn't even here for anymore. Some have completely gotten away from xenForo, are they supposed to have their threads moved as well?

And what happens when somebody posts an add-on that doesn't work, goes unsupported and fails to remove it? it will happen again the same rule applies to the RM that applies to standard integrated threads within resources.

All resources work on my site, most do on a site I admin these will be lost due to them having to be archived because chances are members will not repost them and the posts that reside within them. This wasn't taken into consideration.

This is a NEW thing. Why is their such a concern of filling it here with old items.? As has been stated before, I am sure someone will eventually release an add-on that allows that to happen (posting old). As far as ones uploaded, no longer supported, yes... obviously that is eventually going to happen. And when it does, the thread will filter to the end, and have its rightful place. I just feel to throw on an add-on made the day xenForo dropped, some new customer comes in and sees it, downloads it, doesn't work, etc... they post in the new RM area for it (creator not going to help, has left xenForo)... is completely pointless.

Easily solved. If the author of an add-on does not log in for 3 months, their resource will get flagged by a cron job. Not locked, as some of the add-ons can continue to work even without updates, but at least it would make it easily visible to new users the add-on might not be supported anymore.

On that matter, I guess like notices initially disappointed. I feel the same with the RM considering I just can't see anything positive coming from separated resources/discussions. Hopefully I'm wrong about the whole thing but I can't see myself ever warming up to the separated resources/ugly unorganised discussions forum where it's all listed erratically only to keep the resource area clean. :sick:
After multiple daily starings at the RM, it kind of grows on you. Jungling between the resource page and its forum thread is still PITA. It would be nice to at least have an option to open the thread in a new tab. Right now resource/thread separation is more of a discussion killer.

After multiple daily starings at the RM, it kind of grows on you. Jungling between the resource page and its forum thread is still PITA. It would be nice to at least have an option to open the thread in a new tab. Right now resource/thread separation is more of a discussion killer.

I agree it is a discussion killer. In one foul swoop it takes away the interactivity away which makes xenforo what it is and sets it apart from other products. Something that grows on you instead of "wow that's another innovative implementation" I'll take the latter.

I still to this day with regards to the styling system think amazing stuff that makes it easy for designerss to get the job done effectively. I don't feel that with the RM.

But yeah, the discussion side of the resources seems to be a grey area for me by the time members have navigated from release to discussion chances are they can't be bothered to post in the discussions. The true test will be on the average resource forum, resource area of that forum.

1. I click on what's new and find a resource i want to view
2. I get redirected to the discussion topic where I'm thinking "hmm before i respond I'll need to check the resource out".
3 clicks link to venture to the resource page
4. after viewing resource, click discuss button to venture back to the discussion thread to provide feedback, and/or ask for support or a suggestion

culprit - seperate dicssions/resources threads
The culprit isn't really the separation though. As a matter of fact, step 1 (appearing in what's new) doesn't even happen if the discussion is "in" a resource. The equivalent would be a separate page of new resource discussions and you'd really be doing the same thing.

But if you're looking for resources, doesn't it make sense to go to it via the resource tab? The opening view is basically equivalent to new threads but for resources.

And this is genuine input considering I have a site providing resources and your asking me to throw away 90% of my posts (okay I have just over 300 not much ) only because I've held back posting resources waiting for the RM.
This has come up a few times (not just from you) and IMO, it's really a separate issue from what I was discussing initially.

While an importer could theoretically be made, it couldn't be automated. A resource has different fields and requirements from a thread. The thread is totally free form.

If the complaint is just that you don't have the connection to existing threads, then simply allowing an author to enter a URL for discussion (rather than maintaining the automatic thread) would effectively solve that. (Though if it's not an automated thread, it's unlikely that it would get automatic updates when the resource is updated. Not sure about that yet.)

The book of common sense.
The title for it was never "Below average Download addon".
While you're free to disagree and think things we do suck, if you're going to just troll and be unconstructive, that's not going to fly. I've responded to your thoughts in the past and you just ignore that post and start the same old diatribe elsewhere. Don't think that behavior is appropriate or being overlooked.

I agree it is a discussion killer. In one foul swoop it takes away the interactivity away which makes xenforo what it is and sets it apart from other products.

.......by the time members have navigated from release to discussion chances are they can't be bothered to post in the discussions. The true test will be on the average resource forum, resource area of that forum.
User experience:

1. Navigate to the resource page. Read the synopsis.

2. Get clicked away to its forum thread to post suggestions and questions.

3. After reading, say, 10 pages of the discussion, there is a need to see the demo, the screenshots or to refresh on what the developer exactly stated in the resource page. For that one has to go back to the very first post in the thread (10 pages back) and click on the resource page link; or open another browser window/tab and navigate to the resource page once again.

Now compare it to vB.org. All needed info is always on top of each page be it the 1st, 10th or 50th.

So, which one is more user-friendly?

If the complaint is just that you don't have the connection to existing threads, then simply allowing an author to enter a URL for discussion (rather than maintaining the automatic thread) would effectively solve that. (Though if it's not an automated thread, it's unlikely that it would get automatic updates when the resource is updated. Not sure about that yet.)
Add a url in the resource to an existing discussion does not givereal and viable solution.

Would it not possible to include a system to modify the presentation of the existing thread for inclurent in RM?

So far, absolutely loving it. Having only skimmed through the past 4 pages of discusisons, some thoughts:
  • Shelley, Kyrgyz et al above are absolutely right about discussions. In my opinion, having the discussions on the resource pages themselves would improve user engagement.
  • Ditching the 'read more' link would prevent users from having to look for it, or just not reading more about the addon because they've lost interest by the time they reach the read more link. If worried about excessively long descriptions, you can always implement an optional character limit for the description.
  • I personally disagree with putting tabs into the nav bar: as it is, users can easily find whatever they're looking for, having it below the nav bar actually seems far less intuitive to me. I imagine users will look at the page content first, then if they can't find what they're looking for, resort to the nav bar. The current method is also more consistent with things like the search page.
  • A random thought: an option to disallow images in the resource description, forcing it into attachments? Might let one have a more consistent look across resources, i.e. users knowing exactly where to look for images of an addon instead of having to skim both the description and attachments area
  • Addons requiring approval before showing up publicly, much like moderator approving posts. I imagine this is already possible or planned, yeah? If not, would love to see it.
  • Personally, I absolutely need the ability to have resources hosted remotely, e.g. to be able to define a custom URL for the download now button. This is useful for sites using remote providers like MediaFire, or one of the thousands of similar sites, for their file sharing. Pretty very please? :p

Ok here are my thoughts. I have a LOT about it however I am sure anyone with any website development experience has the same thoughts and it is more a matter of time than anything so won't note everything.

First people who are disagreeing with the category sidebar are just wrong. There are general rules in design and one of those rules are top to bottom and left to right being important to not so important. Where they are is not the issue, how they are presented is however I am sure Mike knows this and has plans to change it from a wall of text (so to speak) so I won't go into it.

Next thing. Those people who even after reading this thread are saying things like "It's a below average downloads manager" need to read the OP again? :/ When I first saw the resource manager I looked at it and went "ew, not what I expected". Then I looked into it more and it was obvious it was a product pushed out as soon as it was functional to be polished and prettied up later. I don't get how people can be so hard on them (well the only reason I can think of is because everything else has been well above par so far) when there are so many terrible add-ons out there that people praise. Add-ons that would better compare to vBull. I have seen most the people who are bashing the RW say some poorly executed add-on is amazing.

Discussions I don't really agree with XenForo for their decision but there are enough people arguing over it so I will just say I agree with the image ragtek posted (or something similar, forums hidden at first maybe).

I think the whole presentation of the home page could do with a lot of work to be more like an app store and less like a huge list of crap (excuse my Aussiness coming out) to go over. More thumbnail like and less list imo. This is another thing I am sure has been considered by Mike and co so I don't even know why I am saying it :)

A suggestion. Seeing add-ons with prefixes looks ugly. I don't add them with mine anymore because I don't see the advantages. However for those who do add them maybe you could add somewhere for the author to insert them instead of putting it in []. A nice way to do it would be the ability to have a logo before it with class="Tooltip" to display the company/person of interests name.

Back to design. Generally everything just lacks images, too much text. I think if you would have spent a bit of time putting in some images for things like categories, even just placeholder ones, you would have had a lot less of this crying from the community.

Lastly, when you add paid add-on support remember to add it with an API ;)

/end random thought dump

A suggestion. Seeing add-ons with prefixes looks ugly. I don't add them with mine anymore because I don't see the advantages. However for those who do add them maybe you could add somewhere for the author to insert them instead of putting it in []. A nice way to do it would be the ability to have a logo before it with class="Tooltip" to display the company/person of interests name.
This one really sticks out for me. The whole company name/developer name prefix in front of addons is definitely annoying. Just call it what it is and provide developers a location to put their company name up for display.

That sidebar on the right is just bad design. It is important information and therefore should be somewhere that you will notice. Right side of the page is for secondary content. Notice when the sidebar is on the left it is something important like the resources and help. They are both navigation which is one of the most important things in web design. On the forum screenshot however you will see all the information is stuff that doesn't even matter. It might look a little better to you but that doesn't make it a good idea.

That sidebar on the right is just bad design. It is important information and therefore should be somewhere that you will notice.
^ (y)
I dislike the sidebar to the right as well. My eyes might not even notice the categories to keep me on the website longer if I found the page from Google.
I prefer it the way it currently is, to the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom