Resource manager as a downloads manager?

Alpha1

Basically the RM is a downloads manager. But its also quite a different animal than DownloadsII, Links and Downloads Manager, vbDownloads and IP.Downloads.

Can the RM be used to replace these addons? How?
Will there be an importer to import categories, files, discussions and ratings from these addons?

Can the Resource Manager be used for a gallery/blog/store/etc?
The primary function is for managing resources but it may be possible to adapt it for other uses. Editing phrases and templates and additional third party development may be required.
If the RM is not a replacement for downloads software like downloadsII, etc, then please consider to reopen this request:

Implemented - Download Manager

Basically the RM is a downloads manager. But its also quite a different animal than DownloadsII, Links and Downloads Manager, vbDownloads and IP.Downloads.

Can the RM be used to replace these addons? How?
Will there be an importer to import categories, files, discussions and ratings from these addons?

Is there any reason why it couldn't be used as a downloads manager? I didn't look at it in depth, but is there anything crucial missing?

I didn't look at it in depth, but is there anything crucial missing?

Multiple File uploading is missing ( but hopefully in the future it'll be considered) . I can't say why this wasn't considered (even as a option) but multiple files uploading is vital for graphic standalone sets so users can download variations of the same set.

Multiple File uploading is missing ( but hopefully in the future it'll be considered) . I can't say why this wasn't considered (even as a option) but multiple files uploading is vital for graphic standalone sets so users can download variations of the same set.

I guess a workaround would be to just package everything in one archive, but yea, ideally you should be able to have multiple files with the same entry.

I guess a workaround would be to just package everything in one archive, but yea, ideally you should be able to have multiple files with the same entry.

Yeah. it's either that or create separate entries. The archive solution I find is a bandwidth waste for when somebody wants the 1 specific coloured set but they have to download the whole archive. But my latest request for it to be included and from what mike said it's a major task to include so I can understand why it's not in this version. I can't personally see it being included in the future, but it never hurts to ask. But for graphic packs, Multiple file uploading is a vital feature.

Has the option to link the download button to an external location been added? On one of our sites we've got thousands of downloads and while we host most of them locally, for some we can't and need to link to the authors' own website for the download. We've also got some content that we'd want to have filed in the RM, but due to the size/complexity can't include it in RM in full and would simply need to link to its url on the site.

As for bandwidth not being an issue with multiple file downloads - it might not be when you're talking about small files, but with the frequency that we have and the file sizes in some instances going up to 20-30MB per file, it's a big difference whether people can download just the individual file they want or are forced to download a say 150MB archive to get a 20MB file inside. Obviously we'd be wasting huge amounts of bandwidth like that, not to mention make people download unnecessarily large archives. Making separate download entries for every supplementary file to the main download isn't really an option as that'd be way too much work and unnecessary clutter/duplication.

One common case where we'd need to have multiple separate files filed under the same download is when we have files in different languages or files with and without source. In such cases users have absolutely no need for everything but one version and downloading anything more than that is wasting bandwidth and time - and this quickly adds up on large boards...

I wanted to buy the RM but frankly, if this can't be added, I can't make any use of it.

Has the option to link the download button to an external location been added? On one of our sites we've got thousands of downloads and while we host most of them locally, for some we can't and need to link to the authors' own website for the download. We've also got some content that we'd want to have filed in the RM, but due to the size/complexity can't include it in RM in full and would simply need to link to its url on the site.

As for bandwidth not being an issue with multiple file downloads - it might not be when you're talking about small files, but with the frequency that we have and the file sizes in some instances going up to 20-30MB per file, it's a big difference whether people can download just the individual file they want or are forced to download a say 150MB archive to get a 20MB file inside. Obviously we'd be wasting huge amounts of bandwidth like that, not to mention make people download unnecessarily large archives. Making separate download entries for every supplementary file to the main download isn't really an option as that'd be way too much work and unnecessary clutter/duplication.

One common case where we'd need to have multiple separate files filed under the same download is when we have files in different languages or files with and without source. In such cases users have absolutely no need for everything but one version and downloading anything more than that is wasting bandwidth and time - and this quickly adds up on large boards...

I wanted to buy the RM but frankly, if this can't be added, I can't make any use of it.

I don't have the RM to play with it though wouldn't it be possible to have an email go out linking them to the download whilst you wait for this functionality? Or is that also not possible?

I'm not sure what you mean about the e-mail... you mean have everyone who wants to download it mail me and me sending the file to them manually? That definitely wouldn't work...

No, you host the file externally right and you want in the download manager to link to that file so they can download it upon purchasing?

Would it not work to email them with the link to the external file host that contains the file? I understand its a little "eh" though could possibly be a temporary work around whilst you wait for such a feature.

No, no, we only have free downloads. When linking to external sites it's basically just so that people can download the latest version of the file there. This is really very common and pretty much every download manager I ever used supported this kind of usage.

It's perhaps because the OP claims that the RM is no downloads manager while not elaborating.
Download managers like IP.Downloads, DownloadsII, Links & Downloads Manager, etc. offer functionality like:
  • viewing documents on site (pdf, docx, xls, ppt, etc)
  • listening to audio files on site
  • viewing videos files on site
  • linking files
  • multiple files for one entry
  • show what type of file the entry is (for example by displaying a PDF icon)
  • various display options related to the the file type
  • restrictions per file type
  • bandwidth limits per user group
  • cdn use
  • hits tracking
If I understand Brogan well, then the RM does not offer such functionality and therefore differs from traditional download managers.
The RM also differs from traditional download managers in that it looks much better IMO.

Top Bottom