Reselling XenForo License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmar

Hi, i am thinking to buy a Used XenForo License from my mate. Is this allowed?

#1. Let's say i am buying a license from a guy i know, it's already been resold twice? Allowed or not?
#2. I buy a license from a guy that have never resold hes license.

What makes you think they will be changed? Why would they be changed? You initial post (that I quoted) really sounded that the license agreement would be changed to the disadvantage of customers. I just felt it was an odd thing to say considering circumstances that we find ourselves in.

You could simply restrict support for the license in question without it affect legitimate customers being affected that actually are legitimate. Anyway, Had to ask because it seemed very odd why this should be brought up that potentially affects everyone here. Strange thread. o_O

Past history. When users push a company to the wall with legal rulings or poking holes in license agreements (such as AlexT is trying to do), companies have a habbit of alteirng their agreements to solve the issue, usually to the disadvantage of the customer.

Past history. When users push a company to the wall with legal rulings or poking holes in license agreements (such as AlexT is trying to do), companies have a habbit of alteirng their agreements to solve the issue, usually to the disadvantage of the customer.

Okay, like i mentioned I had to ask. The license agreement in it's current state is very fair so hopefully any disadvantage to customers if they are to happen to keep a few in check won't happen since the majority are legitimate customers that haven't got an issue with the current license agreement which the majority respect and follow.

Okay, like i mentioned I had to ask. The license agreement in it's current state is very fair so hopefully any disadvantage to customers if they are to happen to keep a few in check won't happen since the majority are legitimate customers that haven't got an issue with the current license agreement which the majority respect and follow.

Unfortunately it is usually the minority who ruin it for the majority.

I believe Jake performs the official installations, etc when they are purchased as part of XF. That presuably makes him an employee or sub-contractor or something.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

He's going to start citing the data protection act in a minute...

This. I didn't cite it, but apparently neither you nor anyone at XF has ever bothered to think about it. How is it possible that you have access to my (and everyone else's) personal information, which I only agreed to share with XenForo?
What bothers me is between the lines. On the one hand, we are supposed to feel sympathy for the people who run this business, show understanding for the lack of everything. At the same time, this company shows very little respect or interest to observe even simple, commonly known laws. And when it's pointed out to them, they show you the cold shoulder or proxy through volunteers without authority.

What about the DPA? Please make a cogent argument. Making a passive reference to a legal document and then asking questions about what is possible does not qualify.

Sure for someone representing XF it seems all perfectly clear. For others, this kind of behavior (and ignorance of the law) makes you look not much better than the competitors that you learned to hate so much.

You will not find any post on XenForo, posted by a XenForo moderator, where they stated they "hated" any competitors. I do not hate vB. I do strongly dislike the current situation the current vB owners put XF in and thus the current vB owners and their parent Company.

AlexT, if you are not a lawyer specializing in European Law, you should not make such statements. Please explain to this Canadian how something that is not physical can be considered used? A car can be, clothes can be, even a person, but 1's and 0's? European law is so borked up, I am glad to be Canadian.

But as an example since you asked, XenForo could add a clause stating you only have permission to use the software for 1 year, a which point a renewal is needed to continue using the software, forcing you to purchase further extensions rather than being optional.
I'd like to see them try adding such a clause to *existing* licences. They cannot simply unilaterally change a contract (which is what a licence is) without BOTH parties' agreement.

No offense, but I thought that information stayed with XenForo Ltd.
As I see it, it is staying with them. A company can appoint anyone it likes to look after its data. The law only provides that they have to treat it in accordance with said law.

Jake could well be an unpaid employee, or he could well be simply someone the company has entrusted to look after their data in certain regards. I doubt there's anything illegal or untoward gone on there.

I'd like to see them try adding such a clause to *existing* licences. They cannot simply unilaterally change a contract (which is what a licence is) without BOTH parties' agreement.
Unless, of course, there is a clause that states the terms in the agreement can be modified at any point with or without the licensee being previously informed of it or approving it. Not saying there necessarily is, but there likely could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom